Windows 8 Freezing/Crashing when running games

Status
Not open for further replies.

countchocula651

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
This has been going on for the past week or so but lately when I'm playing games they'll often crash, resulting in my operating system locking up completely and restarting. In detail, when playing games the screen will randomly go full black or green or purple and the sound with stutter for about 5 seconds until the computer reboots itself. While its doing this i can't ctrl alt delete or anything. I just recently installed a new gefore gtx 650 ti and its been running games well at max settings and this problem didn't start immediatly after installing it.

specs:

cpu - intel core 2 quad cpu q6700 2.66ghz

video card - geforce gtx 650ti 1gb

system - nforce 660i LT

memory - 6144mb ddr2 ram

power supply - 750 watts

operating system - windows 8 pro 64 bit

2007 era CPU. I assume your motherboard is that old also. Check for hardware failures in the power to the graphics card. it sounds like the GPU is overheating, is overclocked or is not getting proper power. Also check for new drivers for your GPU and it would not hurt to upgrade your Intel 775 chipset drivers lots of bugs in those old chips. Sorry, I know it is not much help.

countchocula651

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

Alright, where exactly can i download a new 775 chipset driver? As for overheating that's not the problem as the gpu runs at about 45 celcius while playing a game. and 35 while idle.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/
just run the intel driver update utility it will scan and detect which drivers to install.

You should also check to see if you need to update your motherboard BIOS also. I think you have a pci2.0 bus and your vid card is pci 3.0 (should work ok ) BIOS updates sometimes fix various hardware issues.

what motherboard do you have? generally you have to go to the motherboard manufactures website and download the updates.

sorry, I just looked a the cpu and assumed a intel chipset and did not catch that it was a old NVidia board/chipset

instantshaif

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

Let me tell u bro... im facing the same exact issue... same OS i m using. i get the same stutter sound. my gfx card is ati radeon 6950 1gb... amdfx6100 procesor and 8gb corsair vengeance.

Status
Not open for further replies.