Sign in with
Your question

5770 crossfire black screen

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 20, 2011 8:23:59 PM

When i'm playing a game for a while, i keep getting a weird black screen flashing and sometimes the screen stays black for like 10sec. It's started doing it a lot more and i can't seem to figure out what is causing this to happen. It doesn't do it when i only have one card in, it kind of looks like when you first start a game and the screen flashes black for a sec while it opens the game window.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

I have amd catalyst 11.7 so it seems to be up to date, so i don't think it's that.
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2011 8:26:06 PM

Switch the cards around and see if it still happens, and try them both out in each pci-e slot to see if one of them is faulty.
m
l
August 21, 2011 12:32:10 AM

I did as you said and it didn't do it when only one card was in it no matter what slot. I tired both cards and in both slots and it didnt do it.

switching the cards around crossfire did seem to make it do it A LOT less. It only flashes like once every 20mins now and the flash doesn't last more than a sec. it's still rather annoying though. Anyone know what might be causing this to happen? It's only doing it when i'm playing a game.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 12:59:44 AM

Could be a weak psu maybe. You are running 2 cards instead of 1 after all. It might even just be a weak pci-e cable, so if you have a spare one try it out on each. Also if you are running one of the cards pci-e cables off a molex connector then make sure it's connected to the dvd drive and not the hard drive.
m
l
August 21, 2011 1:40:58 AM

Well the psu is 600watts so it should hold two 5770s right? I even under clocked my cpu to 3.1ghz (2500k)

Here is what it's doing, i finally caught it with fraps.
http://tinypic.com/r/2hduuxc/7

It doesn't usually flash that much, usually the screen just goes black for a sec.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 2:00:03 AM

I have no clue what's going on with that though but it could be a driver issue. Did you completely remove the old drivers first?

Sometimes you might just have to fresh install windows as well to get rid of bugs hanging around. It does look like drivers or software though based on your fraps.
m
l
August 21, 2011 3:22:16 AM

Yeah, i just did another fresh install of catalyst and used driver sweeper. It's still doing it.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 3:51:29 AM

No clue mate, but it definitely looks software related going by that video.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 4:16:01 AM

sounds like the flickering that i had with my 6870 crossfire, one thing can be blamed imo, shite drivers, and consistent over several driver sweeps and upgrade, pathetic on amds behalf imo the mid/low end crossfire customer is a minority
m
l
August 21, 2011 4:18:12 AM

Yeah, i did some googling and it seems to be a bug with amd's drivers. People from over a year ago reporting the same issue i'm having and everything with bc2. I guess amd never fixed it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 4:18:31 AM

OP:

What is the make and model of psu, in other words is it a reputable and reliable 600w unit?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 4:19:13 AM

zookeeper525 said:
Yeah, i did some googling and it seems to be a bug with amd's drivers. People from over a tear ago reporting the same issue i'm having and everything with bc2.
I guess amd never fixed it.

yeah I couldnt stand it anymore, its pathetic do you notice any microstutter?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 4:19:46 AM

Yet very few people seem to notice these issues. I mean if this was a common problem don't you think it would be all over the web considering how many millions are playing the game on AMD hardware?

I can guarantee you that if you did a fresh install of windows the problem would go away.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 4:20:47 AM

lol, right^
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 4:24:58 AM

yeah its likely an issue with sli and xfire whats your point thats why I run a single gpu for reliablility, and you? You dont list a member config...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 4:26:35 AM

A have a phenom II 940 and 6850 running 3x 1680x1050 screens.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 4:29:41 AM

nice what kind of fps do you get and with what settings? I assume you downscale a bit with a single 6850 but still curious on how things run
m
l
August 21, 2011 4:29:58 AM

@jjb8675309
If it was a hardware problem wouldn't the hub for bc2 go black as well?

My psu is a rosewill performance series, i've had it for years and it's never failed me once. So i doubt it's my psu.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&th...

So it must be the drivers. I can't really do a fresh install of windows as i don't have the time to do all that.

Everything in that link is happening to me, from longer than normal load times for bc2, to the screen flashing.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 4:31:49 AM

yeah imo its the drivers that are no bueno, personally Id sell off the 5770s and go for a single strong gpu like a 6950 or gtx 560ti
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 4:32:09 AM

jjb8675309 said:
nice what kind of fps do you get and with what settings? I assume you downscale a bit with a single 6850 but still curious on how things run

Yeah it can't handle anything major at full settings but you'd be amazed at how well it runs some stuff that is a bit older. 3 screen and nearly max settings Fallout 3 + NV is amazing and stuff like shogun total war and Civ 5 generally runs around the 30 fps mark at reasonable settings.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 4:34:07 AM

Thats cool ive always wanted a tri monitor setup even if it was with a mid gpu config, I bet you can get some great frames on tri screens with valve and bethesda games like fallout nv.

Dude im done arguing with you I am just sharing my personal expirience, so lets just go on with a mutual respect if you dont mind, that will be a much better way of doing things on here- peace!?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 4:34:50 AM

zookeeper did you try the stuff in this thread?

http://www.overclock.net/amd-ati/689469-battlefield-bad...

Quote:
i found another fix for the flickering myself yesterday.. the only thing i do is switch the AA from 8x to 4x and then change it again to 8x and it works fine until you restart windows.

Might be worth a shot. Somebody else says alt-entering to a window then alt-entering back fixes it too, I dunno though.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 4:36:14 AM

jjb8675309 said:
Thats cool ive always wanted a tri monitor setup even if it was with a mid gpu config, I bet you can get some great frames on tri screens with valve and bethesda games like fallout nv.

Dude im done arguing with you I am just sharing my personal expirience, so lets just go on with a mutual respect if you dont mind, that will be a much better way of doing things on here- peace!?

Suits me mate. Just remember that when I am the sole defender of AMD on this board (which I am), I have to be this arrogant to deal with 5+ people in every thread. It's really nothing personal.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 4:36:37 AM

there are probably plenty of fixes out there that may or may not work but honestly your gonna go through all that to fix it, and then repeat after you restart windows... in my humble opinion it just does not make sense to settle for that, if anyone disagree that is okay but that is just my opinion
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 4:38:43 AM

eyefinity said:
Suits me mate. Just remember that when I am the sole defender of AMD on this board (which I am), I have to be this arrogant to deal with 5+ people in every thread. It's really nothing personal.

Thanks.
In the end and in my humble opinion amd are great for single gpu configs and I will always recommend a single card over any brand over any multi gpu config unless going for super hi res or 1080p across multi monitors
m
l
August 21, 2011 4:51:51 AM

@jjb8675309 I would upgrade m gpu, but the the 5770's still got some life in them. They max out all the game's i play or almost max them out. When they stop maxing out most games i plan on uprading.

@eyefinity I'll go play some bc2 and see if the AA from 8x to 4x thing works.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 5:21:45 AM

alrighty good luck
m
l
a c 179 U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 7:47:26 AM

How to prove it is NOT your PSU:

Run a stress test like Furmark or even one of the 3DMarks and go as high as possible with settings.

Your system should be stressed and if it still has black screens it may be the PSU. It could still be a motherboard or software issue as well.

If there is no black screens in these stress tests then it is a software issue.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 3:25:36 PM

^. Open A program to monitor voltages (I use HWMonitor). Run either furmark, In a window, or prime 95. Monitor min voltage levels for +5 and + 12 V. +5 V no less than 4.75 V. for +12 V min is 11.4 V, but I use 11.6 as a min.

Should be done on all psus, good or bad and repeaded periodically. Alway check if have a promlem - MAY NOT be the problem but should be ruled out.
m
l
!