PSU Watt Question

Connoor

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hey, I've recently bought a custom pc from a custom pc supplier and it was just shipped today. I'm new to the pc gaming community and this is my first gaming pc. I'm anxious about whether the 650 watt power supply will power all these components with ease. I'm very unsure so if someone can tell me if the PSU is good enough, or whats good and such?

My specs are:
Processor: Intel Quad Core i5-2500
RAM: 16GB (4 x 4GB)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V-LX (the supplier told me that this board doesn't support the GPUs I got so he gave me a free upgrade to a board that does, I just noted down this motherboard assuming there isn't much difference to the one he's put in. He didn't specify the name of the new board.)
Graphics Card: Dual SLI nVidia 1GB GTX 550
Optical Drive: 22x Dual Layer DVD Rewriter
Processor Cooling Fan: Aywun RADI A1-V4
Power Supply: Widetech 650W

A reply will be strongly appreciated, thanks very much!!

Connoor

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

How long down the line are you speaking about? And what kind of problems could I run into?
I'd really rather not get a new PSU installed the moment it arrives but If I have to, I will.

Connoor

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for your answer, although I didn't understand your last sentence.

Connoor

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Okay, I'm a little sceptical because why would a company sell a 650watt PSU knowingly its not as good as a 350watt? And what do you think is a good amount of watts for a PSU for this system?

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

Like others, I wouldn't trust the power supply from a Mickey Mouse brand (or a brand that I never heard of)

The other thing that is bugging me is the motherboard "upgrade" without a confirmation that you are actually getting an upgrade.
That's a really screw-move from your supplier.

I remember in the 90's a lot of PC vendors use this ***** tactics, to the point that the first thing I did when I bought my second computer
was to disassemble everything and verify that every component was the component on the list. (make sure that I got what I paid for)

After this I have built every computer after that for about 20 years now.
Is really not that hard, and it saves you money, plus buying every part separate (or on the same order) guarantees that you are getting what you are paying for.

Not sure about compatibility among parts?
Simply ask on forums like this one.

Before you buy.

Didn't have the 380 label , this tells the story just as well, notice the combined 12v output on the Antec 360w = 30a
Picture0010.png

Antec430.jpg

Connoor

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

The supplier is trustworthy here in Australia. The only thing I caught from him about the new motherboard is that it is a 'gen 3'. He said the older board that I had chosen didn't support SLI. I assume its a newer generation of the same motherboard...

Connoor

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

16gb came with it, you couldn't downgrade.

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
well considering that i can give adivice based on what i know is best for gaming. get artic silver 5 and a 212 evo if it will fit in your case and always go namebrand with a psu its a bit more $$$ but in the long run id perfer my pc diddnt explode in sparks(not saying lowend pssu will but ive heard of it happening) and if its in the budget and your case has good airflow upgrade to a 2500k the k means you can overclock the cpu

Connoor

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

I'm getting the Antec 300 case. Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011