Can chipsets trigger thermal shutdown?

dc200

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I've got an ASUS P8Z77-V LX with the Intel Z77 chipset. Can this particular chipset trigger thermal shutdown to protect itself from overheating? Or is this feature standard across all chipsets?

Solution
here's another suggestion...try AIDA64...look for south bridge temp in it...it will likely corelate to the PCH temp you see in HWiNFO...PCH takes the role of traditional South bridge in current mobo designs

satyamdubey

Distinguished
Yes your chipset has thermal protection which is triggered by the Tcase value for the chipset Platform Controller Hub (PCH) or by the CPU case temp. Most new chipsets have thermal protection and I have read 915GM and 945 chipsets having thermal protection too so its a pretty standard feature across all modern moboards.

dc200

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
How do I read the chipset temperatures then? I'm using HWMonitor, and I don't see PCH or Northbridge anywhere. The only readings I get for the motherboard are these:

TZ00 - 28C
TZ01 - 30C
SYSTIN - 25C
CPUTIN - 27C
TMPIN3 - 30C

Does the P8Z77-V LX even have a thermal sensor on the chipset?

fatalshot808

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
It should have a Thermal sensor I think it's the "SYSTIN" one. You can download Asus AISuite2 and that will give a reading of the Northbridge sensor.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V_LX/

dc200

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

I tried AISuite2, and that only gives me a reading for "motherboard" which is very vague.

I found another app called HWiNFO64 which does show me a temp for the PCH, and it's displaying 45C. I hope it's reading the right sensor here, because this is what I was looking for.

Are you 100% sure that SYSTIN is the PCH? Because if it is, then I've got two different apps reporting completely different temps.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
I follow a simple logic....no component in your system can go lower than the ambient temp (unless you are using liquid cooling :)) So my guess is SYSTIN is probably your ambient temp (lowest reading)...now 45C does sound like a proper PCH temp coz I get PCH temp at 54C with about 35-36C ambient (India). I know that coz the BIOS clearly indicates the PCH temp. Cross check PCH from BIOS and HWiNFO64

-satyam

dc200

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

My BIOS doesn't display the PCH temp. It only shows CPU and motherboard (ambient; only 2C above room temp). Not even ASUS Probe II shows me the PCH temp. This is why I began to doubt whether or not my motherboard's chipset had a thermal sensor on the PCH in the first place.

satyamdubey

Distinguished

Okay, so are you using just the EZ mode in BIOS or does the advanced mode also not show PCH temp read out?

dc200

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

I went into advanced, and it only showed me the two temps I mentioned above.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
sorry i deleted my last reply coz i suggested that Intel desktop utility will run on your mobo but it will not...my bad

HWiNFO64 on the other hand seems to be a reliable program to detect PCH temp so you can rest assured that your board has all the thermal protection shutdown feature that it requires. I will post anything new and useful that i come across

dc200

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Downloaded AIDA64 and it shows a reading for "PCH Diode" @ 45C, which is consistent with what HWiNFO64 reports. I guess it's the right temp then. Thanks for the help. :)