Did i Mess it up or has it happened before,

DoT_20

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
I recently installed an i5 took a bit of pressure to push the bar down a bit worried by that but further research it seemed to be the norm, well i got it down finished the build went to boot and nothing, so back to the manual and found out about the warning led for the CPU, it was on

So i disassembled everything checked everything pins seem fine on the MB and the CPU looked the same done everything the way all the vids recommend even on newegg i even tried it whit most parts out except the MeM which now seems like i should of removed that as well its just the more i look into it it seems to be more likely the motherboard i think il try the bread board method next, so what i would like to ask is, has this happened to any one before and before i try again whit a new CPU which should be here in 2 weeks is there any tips or could it be the MB, one more question would the CPU LED on the MB light up if the CPU was not the problem sorry this may seem dumb but im new to this tech world so please toms experts school the newb

MB.... P6P68 Deluxe REV

MeM..Corsair Dominator-GT - Memory - 4 GB : 2 x 2 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1866 MHz

PSU..Cooler Master Silent Pro M700 700W

CPU.. i5 2500k

All info welcome
They were good enough to change the CPU once... don't want to push my luck

are you sure the led light is for the cpu and not just a generic error light? most of the time the issue is with people forgetting to plug in all the power connectors.

if it is the cpu light then i'd say its the cpu or mainboard. could be that you static discharged onto the chip without realizing it but i've never had any issues (i ground myself by touching the case first). make sure you put thermal compound on the chip as well.

heatsink levers are normally very stiff and require alot of pressure. just be carefull that you dont bend the mainboard too much when you put it on.

in general its good to double , triple check your connections and to make sure you did everything right. sure its possible you got something faulty but you should at least get some board activity (lights coming on, fans spinning, etc).

---

you might want to move this post to the hardware/systems area for more comments. this forum section doesnt get alot of attention

DoT_20

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
i wore an anti static wrist band and the manual said it was the CPU LED when constantly lite there is a fault whit the CPU and i treated the MB whit care, there was case activity as in all fans and i heard activity from the DVD burner and the GPU then it goes down for about 3 secs then turns back on whit the LED lite but no monitor activity at all (no signal) just goes to stand by. CPU was the first thing i put in as it seems to be very sensitive from what i can read about them. And how do ya move the post

you cannot move the post, only a moderator can do that. you would have to repost there. there are many more people who would respond.

if its definitely the cpu led, and you are absolutely sure you have everything hooked up right and all the right hardware hooked up..and that the cpu is compatible with the board...its either a faulty cpu or board. my guess would be cpu.

in my experience cpus aren't hard to work with. mostly you need to worry about the thermal paste, static band, and not bending any of the pins.

DoT_20

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

Right i finished my system booted went to install win 7 which i got of the internet ISO file burned it to DVD went to boot it loads files gets to the screen where to enter country and currency and i cant go any further

The keyboard and mouse wont work they are wireless can not get to press next, so i tried a different mouse whit a cable so i am now trying a different download and re burn, has any one any thoughts or am i being a dumb again as there was nothing wrong whit the CPU more like something wrong whit me

DoT_20

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Tried several different downloads of win7 same problem cant get past the first set of options not sure what to do would it be different if i used a proper win7 DvD please help totally lost