Sign in with
Your question

Power supply question for a new build

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2011 4:06:13 AM

I am getting ready to build a new system it will be used mainly for school and some gaming. I do not currently do a lot of intensive gaming as my laptop just wont let me. I am looking to upgrade gaming ability in a few months but need the new system for school now. I study computer security and forensics currently and run several programs at a time quite often. To start with I will only be running on board video and then upgrading to a video card later. I am trying to keep this build as close to or under $500 dollars right now and then finish the upgrades with my next education expense check. Here is what I have so far that I will be buying new.

Gigabyte Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2133 LGA 1155 Motherboard GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 amazon 119.99 free ship

Intel Core i5-2500K Processor 3.3GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 ebay 199.99 free ship

Corsair Vengeance Blu 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
Amazon 49.99 free shipping

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg 49.99 free shipping

This currently has me at $419.96
I am having an issue picking out a power supply for the system. I would like to go ahead and buy a power supply that will handle a good 1gb or larger video card when I upgrade. I also plan to add a 1TB or larger sata hard drive when I upgrade in a few months. I have a case I can build this in for now but would rather have a better case if I could find a good deal on a PSU and case combo.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well as any links to better prices, please consider all items I am currently looking at are shipped free.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next two weeks

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) As close to $500 dollars as possible

System Usage from Most to Least Important: School work, Computer forensic programs, gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, and open to suggestions

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: open to suggestions

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire:Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1680 X 1050
October 20, 2011 4:27:44 AM

Any 500 Watt or above brand name power supply will do just fine in your system and give you plenty of juice for when you get a video card.
m
l
!