Sign in with
Your question

Which Server to Choose

Last response: in Components
January 20, 2012 1:12:30 PM

Our Company Planning to Upgrade existing server hardware, and i was given the duty to choose between following Server machines. Mentioned below are my softwares that i have to run on the new machine

We are using an ERP system that have front end on VB.NET and backend on SQL server 2008.
(Appx average users connected to the systems at one time are 50)
Our Network Administrator Gave me some recommendations

First We should have a Powerful high specs server on which our database will run
Server Choices given for that db machine is below

Dell Power Edge T710 Xeon 5500 5600 series 2.4 GHZ

OR

Dell Power Edge T410 Xeon 5500 5600 series

OR
Dell Power Edge T310 Xeon

OR
HP Prolliant ML350 G6 E5645 (2.4 GHZ)

Please tell which system i should choose as a database server that will satisfy our need for next 10 years. We are planning to store 10 years financial data in our database.
(Note :- Our DB grown from 1 GB TO 4.5 GB in last 6 months)

More about : server choose

January 20, 2012 1:26:55 PM

Hello Sohaibzee;

Your network Admin gave you good suggestions. Any one of those options will do the job you want.

But call Dell & HP or your favorite VAR and ask them for advice.
They get paid the big-bucks to match your requirements to hardware and services.
You want to get it right if it's going to last 10yrs. And your job might be on the line too ;) 

m
l
January 21, 2012 6:50:08 AM

Thanks but my main problem is decide between those recommended server and my network admin does not no much about these new machines. Secondly you said me to take some advice from my Hardware vendor and in our country these are type of people that will recommend the most costly solutions.
I saw some youtube clip featuring Dell Power Edge T710 and T410. I like the new T710 Poweredge but how can i convince my to boss that T710 is better than T410 power edge machine as i don't see any major differences between those two machines but T710 is the latest release in this series and not there is no major difference between there Prices

T710 Poweredge review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-KhCWsTCHc

T410 Power edge review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Ca0wzHqOE

If you can advise me which one i should choose

m
l
Related resources
January 21, 2012 7:11:29 AM

So the t710 can hold up to 192gb of ram while the 410 can only hold up 128, they are also using different chipsets, but otherwise you can choose the exact same cpu's in both of them. It depends on which processor(s) is in each one.
m
l
January 28, 2012 3:21:43 AM

amuffin said:
So the t710 can hold up to 192gb of ram while the 410 can only hold up 128, they are also using different chipsets, but otherwise you can choose the exact same cpu's in both of them. It depends on which processor(s) is in each one.

Thanks
m
l
!