How to change printer status from offline to online in Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
You may also try these:
1. Open the Start menu and click on the "Printers and Faxes" icon. This will open a window with a list of the printers currently set up on your computer.
2. Double-click on the icon of the printer you want to change to online. A pop-up window detailing all current print jobs will open.
3. Go to "Printer" in the menu bar of the pop-up window and uncheck "Use Printer Offline." This action will change the printer from offline to online.
You may also try these:
1. Open the Start menu and click on the "Printers and Faxes" icon. This will open a window with a list of the printers currently set up on your computer.
2. Double-click on the icon of the printer you want to change to online. A pop-up window detailing all current print jobs will open.
3. Go to "Printer" in the menu bar of the pop-up window and uncheck "Use Printer Offline." This action will change the printer from offline to online.

Solution

paul8ain

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

That's what I expected too... But there is no such selection on the drop-down list! How do I get it back?

Raul_McCai

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014

I uninstalled my ASUS AISuite3 wich controlls the USB 3 Boost functions. This changed the way my printers communicated with the OS. Probably an IP change was the result.

But that's not terribly relevant because when you printer goes off line in Win 7 it is not obvious how to solve it and the interwebs are full of stupid solutions like trying to rewrite the IP addresses to using System Restore.

I uninstalled the AI suite because I thought my initial install was buggy. So after re-installation things had changed.

My solution to Printer Offline was to delete the printer from the Devices and Printers dialog box. Then reboot the computer and VIOLA the drivers self installed and my printers were happy again.

However I discovered that there is a way to do it without the reboot:
Navigate the the Devices and Printers dialog box and right click the printer in question and open the See What's Printing dialog box. In that dialog box - in the upper left hand side is a tab labeled Printers. Click that. In the drop down menu there'll be an option for Use Printer Offline. Uncheck the associated box.

Cyndipid

Reputable
Jul 27, 2014

You know what I did. I went to my other device iPad and turned OFF the Bluetooth and now my printer workers with my asus labtop and HP printer. I had been using my Bluetooth on while travelling. W iPad. Try that

Andrey Kitsa

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
In my case printer required username and password to be entered again, but it doesn't ask for them. So printer was offline and there is no way to bring it online.

Actions that I did to fix it:
1) Access your printer (in my case it is shared printer) in order to get login and password prompt
2) restart Printer Spooler from Services
3) Right click on a printer icon (in my case on shared printer) and choose option "Connect".

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.