Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

G1.Sniper Creative audio chip not working

Last response: in Components
Share
January 20, 2012 2:59:58 PM

Hi,

I have had my G1.sniper for a while now and the included creative audio chip and software package has been great. (Much better than the Asus D2X I previously had)

The problems however started earlier today.

I first noticed that only the front two speakers were working in the creative volume panel, the same was true with the real speakers, only the front speakers were playing audio.

There was still the picture of the 5.1 speakers and it still said that it was running 5.1.

As I use analogue 5.1 I checked to make sure the jacks were being detected by the software and they were.

I tried restarting, re-plugging the jacks and changing settings on the software but no matter what I did it said it was playing 5.1 but was actually playing 2.0.

So I did the next logical thing, I reinstalled the drivers and software package.

I downloaded the newest driver from the gigabyte website then I uninstalled all of the current software, restarted, did a driver cleaner to delete leftover files and registry entries, restarted then I installed the driver and software package then one last time I restarted to finish and the installation and now my audio won't work at all.

If I go into playback devices I can’t disable or set the default device, simply nothing happens when I click it.

I can't even go into properties for the playback device and disable it.

I change the drop down menu to disabled when I click apply nothing happened even though the apply box greys out like normal.

This is incredibly annoying as I have no audio and cannot talk on Skype as the mic/inputs will not work either.

I really don't want to reinstall windows as my computer is very customised and redoing just the basics takes a few days.

Although this might be a driver/os problem I realise it also may be a hardware one and I suspect if I cannot find help on the net I will need to return the motherboard.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
January 20, 2012 3:12:06 PM

If there was a CD that came with your mobo, pop it in and check the utilities and see if it installs anything related to the name of your audio chip. I had the same case with my mobo with the audio and the USB 3.0 headers. once i installed the software everything worked.
m
0
l
January 20, 2012 3:19:34 PM

Rockdpm said:
If there was a CD that came with your mobo, pop it in and check the utilities and see if it installs anything related to the name of your audio chip. I had the same case with my mobo with the audio and the USB 3.0 headers. once i installed the software everything worked.


What I downloaded off the Gigabyte website was the driver and software package that is identical to the one on the motherboard disk except it's the current version.

I have set up on this computer 3 times (hardware problems) and apart from the first time I have used the current version of the driver/software and never had a problem.

I have also reinstalled the software twice not just the once I stated in my first post. The first time I didn't use a driver cleaner the second time I did.

The results were the same.

Audio still won't work at all.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 24, 2012 8:20:53 PM

The re-installation process has corrupted your registry. You should uninstall the programs through the control panel. Then, you need to edit manually your registry to delete all entries pertinent to THX, EAX and Creative then you should run a Utility to delete all applicable links. Go back to the control panel and delete the driver in the device manager, you will have to delete all the sound related drivers. Reboot (cold boot) and restart. As the OS boots up it will tell you that it has found a new piece of hardware, do not proceed with the installation yet. When completed booted, return to the control panel and install the sound hardware manually, using the CD-ROM that came with the system, not the new driver. See if it works again. If not, advise.

jtmzac said:
What I downloaded off the Gigabyte website was the driver and software package that is identical to the one on the motherboard disk except it's the current version.

I have set up on this computer 3 times (hardware problems) and apart from the first time I have used the current version of the driver/software and never had a problem.

I have also reinstalled the software twice not just the once I stated in my first post. The first time I didn't use a driver cleaner the second time I did.

The results were the same.

Audio still won't work at all.

m
0
l
June 24, 2012 9:50:17 PM

wentworth said:
The re-installation process has corrupted your registry. You should uninstall the programs through the control panel. Then, you need to edit manually your registry to delete all entries pertinent to THX, EAX and Creative then you should run a Utility to delete all applicable links. Go back to the control panel and delete the driver in the device manager, you will have to delete all the sound related drivers. Reboot (cold boot) and restart. As the OS boots up it will tell you that it has found a new piece of hardware, do not proceed with the installation yet. When completed booted, return to the control panel and install the sound hardware manually, using the CD-ROM that came with the system, not the new driver. See if it works again. If not, advise.

I don't know why you chose to revive a 5 month old thread but since you did I thought I should explain how I fixed the problem.

After many hours of searching the internet I found a few lines that can be entered into the command prompt to fix the problem:
net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice

I don't know why it works but it does.
m
0
l
!