Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Stress test software for QX6850

Last response: in CPUs
January 20, 2012 4:14:50 PM

Hello,
I have picked-up a used QX6850 on EBay. It comes with a 30-day guarantee.

I want to stress test the CPU and make sure it is performing properly while it is under warranty.

I had intended to use the Intel Burn Test because it is fast and short. However, I have read that since my process is older Prime is a more appropriate test.

Will the Intel Burn Test adequately stress the processor to ensure it is operating properly?

Or should I run Prime for 8 to 12 hours?

Thank you.

-rk
a c 185 à CPUs
January 20, 2012 4:44:10 PM

pc markvantage, cinebench, many other benchmark softwares out there. You can check out guru 3d's page of benchies.
Score
January 21, 2012 3:31:11 PM

amuffin said:
pc markvantage, cinebench, many other benchmark softwares out there. You can check out guru 3d's page of benchies.

Hi amufffin,

Thank you for your time and a reply.

However, I am not looking for more options unless the two I mentioned are inadequate for the task.

I want to know if Intel Burn Test or Prime (or both) are adequate to ensure that the used processor I am buying is operating within normal limits (WNL) while it is under a 30-day warranty. I don't intend to overclock it during that test and I already have software temperature monitoring tools (2) installed.

I had read that the Intel Burn test was developed after the manufacture of the QX6850 and thus the author claimed it was incapable of adequately stress-testing the CPU. While I question the validity of that author's claim I thought i would ask the community.

Again, thanks for the reply.
Score
Related resources
a c 185 à CPUs
January 21, 2012 6:56:42 PM

I would run pc markvantage, and search up other people's scores with the qx6850 to see if your score is near or over their's. But if it is lower, then you need to return it.
Score
January 21, 2012 11:30:19 PM

amuffin said:
I would run pc markvantage, and search up other people's scores with the qx6850 to see if your score is near or over their's. But if it is lower, then you need to return it.

Hi again amuffin,

Again, thank you for your time and response. However, apparently I do not understand or we are talking about two different things. I am not interested in benchmarking my system and comparing it to other systems. I want to know if my CPU is solid, that's it.

There is a CPU benchmark program that I may run for kicks, however.
http://download.cnet.com/CPU-Speed-Professional/3000-20...

According to: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/IntelBur...

"IntelBurnTest packs the technology used by Intel in their lab tests before the CPUs are approved and released. This sounds assuring enough; however the list of its benefits does not stop here. The application is recommended to be run on x64 systems because of the higher accuracy these systems provide. It takes less of your time to inform you of the stability of your system than Prime95. Considering the fact that Prime95 is one of the highly praised tools in the field, that can only come as a huge plus."

As best I understand people who wish to overclock their system stress test it to ensure it is stable. Some use Prime 95 some use Intel Burn test, some use both, and there are many others available. The boards are full of threads commenting that the (overclocked) CPU passed one but failed the other.

My concern is the used CPU I am buying could have come from a system that was pushed to the max at some point in time. Everyday computing does not adequately stress a CPU to ensure that it is operating as designed. That is what I want to know - the CPU will pass a stress test.

I doubt if the systems boots up and runs OK but is less than other peoples' benchmark will be a reason to return the purchase under the guarantee. (It wouldn't be if I was the seller.)

However, if the CPU fails a stress test similar to what the manufacturer uses then I believe I have a reason to return the processor.

My original concern was stated in the original post - a questionable comment that Intel Burn test will not work as an effective stress test on my older CPU.

Unless I hear from others I will run Intel Burn Test for 10 minutes then Prime 95 overnight 12 hours +/-.

Thanks again for your time and comments.

Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 21, 2012 11:35:00 PM

I'd run both as you should be able to do so within the 30 days.

might as well. they both run slightly different so why not.
January 24, 2012 4:45:01 PM

esrever said:
I'd run both as you should be able to do so within the 30 days.

might as well. they both run slightly different so why not.

Thanks. That is what I did. IBT ran no problems. 16.5 hrs Prime95 small FFT's = no problems. CPUID 1.18.0 & Real Temp3.60 temps in low 50's high 40's.

Left seller positive feedback - think I am go to go for a few more years for less than $200.

http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/bou...

Thanks
Score
January 24, 2012 4:45:51 PM

Best answer selected by raykoke.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2012 4:58:44 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!