$600 Gaming Computer

DMullane

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
So I'm on a $600 budget (not a lot, i know). Ill get straight to the point. Here's my build so far:

CPU
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.30GHz $190

Motherboard
MSI P67S $60

RAM
Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $34

Graphics
Radeon HD 6870 $140

Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $50

Case
Antec 300 $45

Power
Antec Neo Eco 520 $35

Price $554

note: bold means i already bought it.

So, for the cpu i'm going to either get the i5-2320, i5-2400, or i5-2500. im not putting this together until christmas so i'm waiting to see if i can get any really good deals on those before then. no rush.
For the motherboard I'm thinking either P67 or Z68 incase i want to overclock my computer. maybe h67 or h61 if i dont need to spend that extra money.
For RAM, i don't really care, RAM is RAM, right?
For the Hard drive, either http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136795 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148701 im not really sure how to narrow it down between those 4. suggestions welcome.
And as for the case, i'll probably change it to either the Antec 300 or HAF 912 unless anyone has any other suggestions.

So, any suggestions for anything i haven't bought yet are welcome! especially for the ones i havent really narrowed down too much yet (motherboard and hard drive). Thanks!

Zero_

Distinguished
You cannot overclock that processor, so getting a P67 is pointless. Get a better loaded H67/61 motherboard for the same price.

That RAM is pretty good. You can get 2x2GB Corsair XMS3's for around $28 as well. Better build quality = lasts longer with less problems.

Get a better case. Check the NZXT 210 and 220 models. Both cost under $50 and are pretty good with USB 3.0 and all.

DMullane

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
what if i got the 2500 (not 2500-k)? is that overclockable? im trying to think for the future or do you think by the time i would get around to upgrading my cpu i would need to upgrade my mobo anyways? and i'll add those cases to my list. thanks.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Case: If you can go from a $36 one to the 912, nothing like it.

HDD: The original Seagate in your link if you can actually get it for 40. It's listed at 55 on Newegg, I think. Else get Samsung Spinpoint F3/WD Cavier Blue/Black 7200RPM SATA drive.

CPU: If you wanna OC, getting a 'K' series processor is the way to go. The 2500K is gonna be way faster especially when overclocked.

EDIT: It'll go to ~4 odd on air, once you get a relatively inexpensive aftermarket cooler like the CM hyper 212+ or something.

RAM: For future proofing, get 8GB, especially if you're gonna be using 64 bit Windows (no reason not to use that). Will only cost you 25 bucks extra - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)

EDIT: You've already got the 6870 apparently, but if you didn't, I'd have recommended the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 for 80 odd bucks more, especially if you're gaming on 1080p, seeing as you've got that much to spare anyways :)

DMullane

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I haven't seen anyone suggest the Samsung Spinpoint for the hard drive so I guess i'll have to add that to my list. I'm still not sure what i'm going to end up getting there so more tips on which one (and why) i should get are appreciated.

i'm not sure if i'll have the money to overclock yet. right now it looks like i have extra money but i think i'd rather buy a nicer headset or mouse or something with any extra money i have before overclocking because im not going to be playing too many intense games (just LoL and DotA2 when it comes out pretty much) so i feel like overclocking might just give me more power that i wont really need. but if i decide to overclock i'll definitely go with the 2500-k. i'm just waiting the cpu out till i figure out the rest of this stuff or until one goes on a nice sale that i cant resist.

I've read a lot of guides advising to only get 4gb of ram because anything more than that you're just paying for something you wont use. i think i might stick with 4gb for now but thinking ill buy 1 4gb stick instead of 2 2gb sticks in case i want to add another 4gb later.

@emelth that guide is what i used to start this build off of but i realized i could save a few dollars here and there and i wanted to change a few things about it and this is what i've come up with so far. so i'm just looking for further improvement now.

Emelth

Distinguished
The only thing I would do since you already bought the GPU is upgrade to a i5 2500k, we would be able to work more if you didnt already buy the GPU but whats done is done. OC it to a point where you wont need to be a cooler (or if you dont mind go buy a cheap fan sink for like $30). For $600 no point for you to waste your money on RAM go for the 2x2gb like you suggested as well. HDD I like Seagate personnaly ( I have a lot of their external HDDs the GoFlex versions very good ones). Besides that you could get a new mobo. There is nothing else I can really advise you on that the others have no already said.

This build I think will only last a year depending on what type of games you play. Why not just keep saving up the money till you can buy atleast a $1k build which would last 2-3 years, or ask for some of the parts as Christmas gifts

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
This is getting a bit difficult to track. Can you re-list the parts that you are now looking at?

Please clearly mention your budget for the parts that you want to buy - like "My budget is xxx for cpu, mobo ram and psu". I've already got the case, hdd and odd - or something to that effect.

DMullane

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
updated original post. ones in bold = already bought. my budget for everything else is whatever keeps me under $600 for total budget.

@emelth i honestly just dont get how you could complain about getting a 6870 for $140. thats one of the best graphics cards available that would normally cost at least $180 so i just saved money for the rest of the parts there. and i'm planning on this computer lasting 2-4 years. i dont get how an i5-2500k could only last me 1 year honestly.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Okay, crystal clear. So you've spend 175 and you can spend ~425-ish for CPU. Mobo, RAM, HDD, Case.

CPU: Core i5-2500 - $225

Mobo: MSI P67S - $60

RAM: Corsair 8GB in my previous link - $50

HDD: Samsung/WD/Seagate 1TB - $60

Case: HAF 912 - $60

Total: $455. Hard pressed to beat that for the price :)

DMullane

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
yeah i actually found the 2500k for 190 so that's cheaper than the 2500 and 2400.

alright emelth. you had me really confused there haha. i was like no way is this gpu only gonna last 1 year before its not good enough anymore. btw i only play LoL and DotA2 when it comes out so i definitely have a good enough graphics card for those hahah.

and calguy. thanks for the suggestions! i found the 2500k for 190 before like i said so i can save a few bucks there. for the RAM i found 8gb for $34 but is there a reason you suggest that RAM? Isnt RAM just RAM or is that kind actually better than the kind i have in my build?

will i need a tb for hdd? its only $10 more so maybe its worth it i guess.

and yeah A LOT of people keep recommending that case. maybe ill spend the extra few bucks for it. thanks for all these suggestions!

we1shcake

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
a 1tb hard drive is worth it, a 6870 will easily run thos games and everything else that comes out, itll run bf3 if you turn the settings down a bit, with the ram make sure its a minimum of 1333mhz so as not to slow the system down, apart form that enjoy your new computer :)

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Yes, RAM is just RAM as long as you don't overclock. Just make sure your RAM is compatible with your build. Try to get 1600 Mhz ones if you can.
How much storage you'll need will depend on you. If you download/install a whole lot of programs, store a lotta movies, play a lotta games etc, more the merrier. Else if you'll only store the OS and a few essential programs along with a couple of games, even a 40GB drive's not gonna be too little.
If you wanna save some money on the case (which is the first place to penny pinch in a build) get this really good one for less - the best possible case by far IMO in it's category - $40 COOLER MASTER Elite 430

DMullane

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
just a little side note: do you guys think it'd be worth waiting for the ivybridges? or are they going to be more expensive. i feel like if i wait for ivybridges then before i know it theyll come out with something else and then my ivybridge would be outdated anyways. if i just buy sandybridge now then i can upgrade to whatever comes after the ivybridges probably. technologys just advancing too fast haha

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Yes, tech's always gonna progress. If you wait too long, something bigger and better is gonna come along just to confuse you all over again. One has to bite the bullet and hope that the timing is right, so that it doesn't go out of date too soo, nor do you have to pay a premium for brand new tech.

In any case, most mainstream Sandy Bridge chipsets are gonna be backwards compatible with IVY including H61/H67/P67/Z68 (I believe) with a firmware upgrade.

"However, it is important to note that, your motherboard must be equipped with the ME8 (management engine) firmware, which cannot be upgrade by the user. We are a little unclear on this requirement, but we suspect it has to do with Intel’s Active Management Technology and that most boards are already equipped." - Motherboardnews.com