Sign in with
Your question

Is there Frame drap in AMD when playing Games which support PhyX??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 21, 2011 3:55:02 AM

In these days many games use PhyX to make more powerful effect.

PhyX is Nvidia's critical technic.

So I guess if I use AMD VGA then there will be a huge frame drop when playing PhyX support games.

Is this right?

If this is right, then CF with AMD VGA also meet this problem too?

a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 4:11:33 AM

Only Nvidia GPUs do PhysX, or, the cpu will do it.

as for 'many games' using it...last I heard, there were about 4 or 5....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 4:14:50 AM

only ones I have that use it are metro and batman aa
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 6:50:04 AM

Alice 2 The Madness Returns
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
August 21, 2011 8:36:40 AM

Some points:
- if you force PhysX on and have a non-NVidia card your game will be very SLOW when PhysX effects are running
- PhysX is supposed to work on a CPU, but that is not my experience
- Batman AA dropped from 160FPS to 9FPS when I force PhysX ON. However, none of my cores hit 100% and my graphics card would not even be used so how does that even make sense?

Basically forget about PhysX if you don't have an NVidia card.

*Ironically, even if PhysX didn't run as efficiently on a CPU the games would still play much better. Here's why:

If you had a $200 CPU and a $300 graphics card and played a top title with high settings your graphics card would be maxed out and you may have 70% of your CPU cycles unused.

When you turn on PHYSX it uses some of your graphics card (can easily drop some games by 30% frame rates). So games always run slower with PhysX enabled.

However, if the CPU used all its unused cycles to do PhysX calculations then the game would run at the same frame rate as it did WITHOUT PhysX enabled but it would also have PhysX effects!

"Efficiency"
That's very misleading anyway. I guess they mean by WATTAGE, not by cost of the CPU or graphics cards. At any rate they proved that NVidia on purposely used a much older CPU method to boost how much "better" their graphics cards are than CPU's.

But...
You basically need an NVidia graphics card for PhysX, but since frame rates drop using it you'd have to lower quality with many cards to keep the FPS rate up. So unless you can keep the frame rate up at 60FPS with VSYNC enabled don't bother. Many games would require a 2xGTX560 setup (not 560Ti) in top games to get full 60FPS with PhysX enabled.
m
l
August 21, 2011 5:05:55 PM

PhysX is a graphics card technology. It uses parallelism of the compute cores on you NVIDIA graphics card to do physics modeling and simulation. In terms of raw Floating Point Operations a Second (FLOPS(s)) your graphics card kills your standard processor.

Or in simple terms, it takes advantage of the raw power your graphics card has, as can be seen in the massive advantages from CUDA and Firestorm acceleration.

The inverse can be seen in the 3DMark CPU benchmark, which forces the CPU to render the test scene, while doing the physics and AI...

PhysX without a NVIDIA card is futile. Most applications disable PhysX if said conditions are not met.

Sorry mate, you sold out feature set for performance. No PhysX Eye candy for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vINH6Z9kqgI
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2011 5:56:31 PM

king smp said:
Alice 2 The Madness Returns

what is that game all about/ how is it?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 22, 2011 2:44:57 AM

jjb8675309 said:
what is that game all about/ how is it?

Alice 2 Madness returns takes place about ten years after everything happened
Alice saw her family burn to death in their house
She was in a insane asylum
and now is seeing a pyschiatrist to forget her memories

So the game is very "psychedelic"
graphics are great
does have Physix which can be adjusted low-med-high

the game has great ambiance
graphics are very cool
gameplay so far is a little simplistic
breaking open shells and killing BoltBees with Vorpal Blade (it goes snicker snack)
shooting flying pig snouts with pepper grinder
collecting memories
but I am still on first level
the game is supposed to have many levels and take a long time to finish
here is a gameplay demo on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up21p1_vTbI&feature=relm...

I just got it and been playing every day
It is addicting
Mainly because you want to move on and see the new scenery (graphics)
Some parts look like an color illustration from Alice in Wonderland come to life

m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
August 22, 2011 5:42:24 AM

just turn physx off, it adds bugger all anyway.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 22, 2011 7:03:51 AM

king smp said:
Alice 2 Madness returns takes place about ten years after everything happened
Alice saw her family burn to death in their house
She was in a insane asylum
and now is seeing a pyschiatrist to forget her memories

So the game is very "psychedelic"
graphics are great
does have Physix which can be adjusted low-med-high

the game has great ambiance
graphics are very cool
gameplay so far is a little simplistic
breaking open shells and killing BoltBees with Vorpal Blade (it goes snicker snack)
shooting flying pig snouts with pepper grinder
collecting memories
but I am still on first level
the game is supposed to have many levels and take a long time to finish
here is a gameplay demo on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up21p1_vTbI&feature=relm...

I just got it and been playing every day
It is addicting
Mainly because you want to move on and see the new scenery (graphics)
Some parts look like an color illustration from Alice in Wonderland come to life

very cool thanks for the info, looks like it would be an xbox 360 controller game for sure....

only problem is that its tough to pay 50 for a game like that, ill have to keep an eye out for steam sales or ebay
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 22, 2011 7:44:40 PM

tell me about it
the prices for PC games is ridiculous
I was at Gamestop (my friend is manager)
and they still want $39.99 for BioShock 2
I already have the game
My buddy gave it to me
but $39.99 USD for a game that is a few years old!
also Diablo 3 (?) is 29.99
I saw it at a yard sale for $5!

PC game prices are so stupid compared to console games

a console game for $50
a year later is $29
and a year later
is 20
and you can buy used console games
Cant buy used PC games from the stores
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 22, 2011 9:21:44 PM

^ yeah you can buy bioshock 2 on ebay for about 10 bucks and steam has sold it for less several times, great game though...

gamestop is an utter ripoff and this is why I do not ever spend a dime in places like that, your dollar has much more value on ebay or steam for that matter, when their summer time/ holiday deals come around I find myself buying most of the games I currently own at these times, then there are the titles that I always buy new like BFBC2 (soon to be BF3) and probably skyrim
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
August 22, 2011 9:37:14 PM

Let's clear up a few things.

PhysX is used in a LOT of games, but the vast majority of the time, PhysX is performed on the CPU, not the GPU, so performance is pretty even between Nvidia and AMD cards.

Only about 20ish games support GPU accelerated PhysX (games like Mafia II, Metro 2033, Batman AA, Sacred II, Dark void...). In these games, they'll usually have a check box to allow you to use advanced PhysX or some other term with similar meaning. It is in these games that having a PhysX capable card will allow you see an improvement. In some of these games, the effect is great (batman AA), others you can barely see a difference (Metro 2033 shows no discernible difference from what I can tell), and in others it can be over done (Sacred II, has some neat leaves blowing around, but the spell effects are way over done).

I have two games that support GPU accelerated PhysX, and I don't bother using it on either, even with Nvidia cards. I don't own the ones where it is used to good effect. I own Metro 2033 and Sacred II from the list.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
August 22, 2011 9:49:34 PM

I am only playing two games that make use of it at this time and they are Mafia 2 and Mirrors edge. I got a iso copy of metro and sacred two but have been lazy about installing them. If physx isn't your thing don't worry about and enjoy gaming on ati.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2011 1:26:38 AM

yeah its cool but far from necessary to enjoy a game
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2011 4:06:31 AM

^there, that's more like it
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2011 4:19:04 AM

I go to Gamestop for two reasons

1 buy used games for the Wii/Gamecube and PSP
(I can get 3 GC games for $10 and my
ten year old loves them-I got the GC controller and memory card free from my
neighbor-on the Wii console the GC games still look alright)

2) my friend (manager) hooks me up with discounts.

Otherwise I wouldnt go there
As far as buying used console games on online
I would do it
but my kid likes to look through them in the store and pick them out
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2011 9:44:11 PM

totally makes sense I hear ya
m
l
!