GA-X58-UD3R Memory overvoltage issue

kearneysj

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012
Hi
Hope you can help with a problem I have. I have a GA-X58-UD3R motherboard with 6GB of RAM, and added another 3x2GB sticks of the same type (corsair XMS3 1600Mhz PC12800). When I powered the machine back up the motherboard beeped, and the Memory overvoltage LEDs light up to red. The memory is set to 1.5V in the BIOS. Following some experimentation, if I load the XMP profile and run the memory at 1.65V then I can boot with all 6 sticks at 12GB, but the get BSOD errors, almost always relating to memory corruption.

I ran memtest86+ and got errors with everything but the 3 three original sticks of memory in. The actual memory itself seems ok, as I can replace the original 3 sticks with the new sticks, and it’s ok.

CPUZ recognises the (original)RAM as being PC10600, but not sure if this is a problem?

I have been having doubts about my PSU / Mobo, as I have had BSOD errors previously whenever I have put any hardware in my machine (for example a WIFI card in a PCIe slot). In fact at one point I was convinced that I would get a BSOD whenever I switched off the PSU at the back! I was also wondering whether the motherboard had a fault and was resetting the CMOS due to a faulty switch or something (there is not jumper on this board). Probably grasping at staws!
Spec: i7 950, GigabyteGA-x58-UDR3R, 3x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC12800, ATI 5850, Samsung 1TB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium.
Thanks,
Stephen

Another poster recently mentioned that Intel had cancelled his warranty due to running his board with the wrong ram setting. They said his memory controller was designed to run at only 1066, not 1333 which was his setting. I won't comment on this as I'm not an engineer but you simply may not be able to run your board stable with all the ram slots filled. It may be a voltage issue that your board can't run the ram at the proper settings without instability. You can test the new ram with memtest using one stick at a time in the slot closest to the cpu. Leave the ram bios setting in auto and see if each stick passes at the default settings. If you get errors, you may need to rma the new sticks or return them to the vender.