CPU READS 0 degrees celcius or 32 degrees fahrenheit

versus_josh

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
I downloaded speedfan. It will not read my fans only my graphics chip and Hd. So I downloaded CoreTemp. It says my CPU is running at 0 degrees Celcius . When I convert it to read in fahrenheit it shows 32 degrees fahrenheit. Is this normal temp for a cpu to run at? My graphics runs at 38 degrees C and my hd at 32 degrees C according to speedfan.

Hi :)

It would be a lot colder than zero use Nitrogen ..lol

All the best Brett :)

versus_josh

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
I tried Hardware monitor. It only reads my graphics chip and my Hd. Both of which are running right around 38C . I still cant locate my processor on there. It shows my processor on coretemp as being 32 degrees fahrenheit. Oddly enough when I try to locate my mobo and setup I bought from some computer guy for 50 bucks. I can't find it. Not even to flash a bios. Im running a Foxconn LS-36 mobo it says on it. Yet it has an LGA 775 p4 620 2.8 prescott 2-m . Core temp reads it running at 2793.01 MHz (199.50 x 14.0) and still insists its at 0 degreesC or 32 Degrees fahrenheit. It also picks up cpu load so I think its reading it, But like I said I cant locate this mobo with cpu existing anywhere..... Im confused.

Unless your computer is using exotic cooling or is outside in a freezing snowstorm, no, it hasn't.

You will never have temps below ambient when using conventional air or water cooling. Either something is wrong with your temp sensors or your monitoring program is reading them incorrectly.

versus_josh

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

I've tried the cpuid, coretemp, and speed fan. cpuid and speedfan only read my graphics and my hd temp which are accurate since my graphics has its own temp monitor built in and both are exact. Like I stated the coretemp reads my processor as being a lga 775 ( socket T ) prescott 2-m running at 2793.01 MHz (199.50 x 14.0). Its reading it, yet the temp is not accurate as you stated. I lived in Ohio for 27 years at 32 degrees fahrenheit things begin to get extremely cold. I know that its not right. I came acrossed this problem when I wanted to use speedfan to cool my graphics chip down a little. It has built in overclocking features, so I want to overclock it and keep it cool. I cant seem to get any of these programs to locate my mobo my fans, or my processor aside from coretemp. I've searched the make and model among various things , and still cant find this existing mobo anywhere. I guess its really no big deal considering it is a lower end comp. Like I said I was looking more to flash the bios and overclock a few things , becides my graphics chip. Thanks for the help anyways. I wrote this on another thread maybe you would know... caedenv wrote :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is this your board?
http://www.itpartsdirect.com/index [...] board.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish it was. I've also found that one as well. The board I have has 2 sata inputs. 4 dimm slots. 1 Ide for the disk drive. 1 floppy port. 4 rear usb ports. 10/100/1000 onboard nic. 2 usb in front. The label on the board is saying Foxconn LS-36. Yet I've looked up every single board Dell Used in the optiplex gx280. It isnt any of those. I've used dell to update as much as I could. It reads my comp as being factory Optiplex gx280. Yet the board doesn't match. I went to Foxconn to update to a better bios, and I cant find it there either. The chipset is intel. it has 2 pci bus , and one pci-e x16. I've also looked at almost all dell models and the boards they went with under LS-36. It doesnt match any of the ones from any other dell model.

eric79xxl

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
hi versus_josh;
most likely, your temp sensors are either not enabled, not working or not present.
you mentioned it's a low end motherboard (mobo), sometimes they leave off the temp sensor.

check BIOS and look for either temperature readings and/or temp sensor settings.
if you find neither, then the temp sensors are not there or disabled by manufacturer (dont ask why, idk lol)
--on the other hand, if you do find the info in the BIOS and it matches what the software programs are telling you, then the sensors are most likely malfunctioning. (i've seen this several times with mobo and graphics cards)
if this is the case, you should upgrade your cpu cooler just to be on the safe side as well as disable cpu fan control in the BIOS (if the option is there)

i have the same processor family as you on one of my computers, and speedfan reads it fine on the intel motherboard it's on.

it is also possible that the programs just can't read your temp sensors due to it being an uncommon mobo. again, checking BIOS is your best option.

hope this helps
-e

versus_josh

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Unfortunatelly it isn't under my bios either. Its probably due to the fact it is an old mobo. I guess my next question would be. What is a good running temp for a graphics chip. I have 3 fans . one with its own throttle control. one that blows max and the other which is an original mobo cpu fan. its slower than the 2. I have my 2 better fans cooling my graphics chip to an average between 38- 40 degrees celcius. I turned my cpu fan around to vent out instead of in, because the 2 fans on my graphics card aim right towards my cpu heat sink as well. Should I leave it like this or put my better fan on my cpu heat sink and run the slow fan and mildy good fan on my graphics chip.. I have tried but it raises my graphics chip from 38C to about 46 - 48C Im not sure if that's a safe heat to run it at.

eric79xxl

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
the CPU cooling fan should direct air towards the heatsink, regardless of anything else.

if no temp info or temp related options in BIOS, the sensors simply aren't there.

I have seen many instances of a poor stock CPU cooler letting the CPU get too hot even with 3 good case fans going full speed.
(stepson's socket775 computer currently suffering from this, I just ain't fixed it yet)

I would highly recommend getting a $20 or $30 CPU cooler that comes with some good thermal paste.
forget the CPU cooler fan swap, replace the whole thing - heatsink&fan

use careful static procedures and remove the paste that is already there when replacing the CPU cooler.

graphics cards can handle much higher temps, 150-160F, and be OK.
you will know when the graphics card overheats when your display goes wonky (that's the technical term, wonky. lol)

finally, you may want a system blower (a fan that mounts in a pci slot area) and place it right next to your graphics card. :sol:

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Generally wouldn't advise pushing your card past 80 degree's, somewhere around 60-70 degrees is good load temps with stock clock speeds. As geekapproved said though, they can run up to 100c - not too sure about "easily" because I'm fairly sure the cut off point is 105 degree's? But still, much much hotter than what your currently looking at :)