PC monitor gets switched Off but main CPU and sytem remains ON

Kumar_41

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Hello,
I hope to receive some help here. The trouble faced in my PC - after some time of usage say around 10-15 minutes or sometimes it happens within 5 min, or sometimes it happens after hour - automatically monitor gets switched off. I have the old CRT monitor of Samsung. Here monitor gets switched off but the PC remains ON i.e., CPUand other system. Even I am listening to song, monitor gets off automatically. To check whether this was problem of monitor I switched to my LCD TV, it didnt happen for quite sometime. after an hour of usage dispaly went of on LCD. However LCD didnt turn off but screen was blank.

What can be the problem.

mryoink

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Sounds like a power options setting. If you are using Windows 7 you can go into the Control Panel in Hardware and Sound choose Power Options, or you can just search for Power Options. In here on the left hand side you will see an option called: Choose when to turn off the display. If it is set to say 15minutes, it will turn off you display after 15mins of non use, this basically means if you don't use the keyboard or mouse for 15mins the display will shut off even if you are watching a movie, playing music etc. You can raise the time to a higher limit or choose never even so the display is never turned off automatically.