Crossfired 6870s but don't see a performance difference

cjk813

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I crossfired 6870s hoping to see a noticeable fps increase in certain games. Mainly wow in raid settings and sc2 during large battles. However, after setting it up I really haven't noticed anything. Places that used to run at 60 fps still do, and places that used to lead me to drop to 30-40 fps also still do. As far as I know everything has been set up correctly. Is the problem that neither of these games really benefit from cards in crossfire configuration, or that crossfiring cards really doesn't affect performance all that much?

badtaylorx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
does a third party software.......ie afterburner,,,hw monitor,,,or somthin the like.... report having 2 cards present???

have you enabled cfx in the CCC???

did you re install drivers after hooking up 2nd card???

cjk813

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I don't have a third party program installed to monitor hardware, however it shows both cards under the device manager, and I do have crossfire enabled under CCC.

My system specs are as follows:
Phenom II x6 1090t, stock settings until my aftermarket heatsink is delivered.
8 gb kingston hyperx ddr3
asus m4a79xtd mobo
750w thermaltake psu
6870s in crossfire

A slow drive can have a great impact on overall system performance and can bottleneck the best of systems more than most realize. Every thing else is good about your system but should have considered a faster model. The reason is because of the page file and it's impact on overall fps. It can cause unexpected dips in fps when the rest of the system is up to snuff ie not a bottleneck. Now the cpu needs to be overclocked and that will help improve scaling.

4745454b

Titan