scuffing on Epson prints

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 13, 2005 9:56:46 PM

The exit rollers cause scuff marks on Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper on an
Epson 2200 printer. They are parallel lines, most visible on a uniform
color. It may be the increased fragility of the MediaStreet ink (but they
claim Epson has acknowledged that problem for their inks, too). They supply
"exit flags" to hold up the top exit rollers. This eliminates the scuffing,
but then the paper comes out crooked at the end, and small sheets (4x6)
simply stop feeding. I've tried changing the paper thickness (regular or
envelopes).

Is there a solution, such as a way to keep the paper going and going
straight without exit rollers? Decrease, rather than eliminating, roller
pressure?

Is it a MediaStreet problem, or do Epson inks also behave this way? I have
noticed increased scratching when I shifted to their ink.

--
- Alan Justice

More about : scuffing epson prints

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 9:56:47 PM

>Alan Justice writes ...
>
>The exit rollers cause scuff marks on Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper
on
>an Epson 2200 printer (with) MediaStreet inks

>Is it a MediaStreet problem, or do Epson inks also behave this way?

I have a 2200 and have never had a problem with this so-called "pizza
wheel tracks" problem, using only Epson inks on a wide variety of
papers.

I *THINK* the problem is due to the different drying times of the inks.
The Epson inks dry quickly enough so that by the time the printed area
reaches the rollers it's not susceptible to the tracking. Apparently
the MediaStreet inks don't dry as fast? I would do a couple of things
if I had this problem, first, make sure 'high speed' option is turned
off ... I think there may be a way to slow the printing down even
further but I'm not certain of that, but for sure you want 'high speed'
off. Second, I'd print in the highest quality mode, ie, 2880 dpi for
the PGPP you mentioned using, since this slows down the printing by a
factor of two, giving the ink more time to dry before hitting the
rollers. You could run a test, printing a 720 or 1440 dpi with 'high
speed' on and then printing 2880 dpi with high speed off and see if
that makes a difference.

You can also Google search on the string "pizza wheel tracks 2200" and
you'll see several discussions of this, usually with non-Epson papers
and non-Epson inks, but there are likely some good tips sprinkled in
that might help you out.

Bill
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:13:41 AM

Perhaps the high humidity here (not like Florida, but we get 80" rain)
causes slower drying times, thus scuffing from the exit rollers. And I'm
now starting to get the pizza wheel marks.

Does anyone have any experience using a fan or dehumidifier for the Epson
2200/glossy paper?

--
- Alan Justice

!