Solved

Smoking board

So this all started with my newish desktop build deciding to not turn on. I have the tool to test most parts and determined it was either the MB or the processor, sent in the processor first (intel pentium G860) and got sent back a brand new one. Computer still didn't work so I sent in the board next (ASRock z77 pro4). Just got it back today and put in. First thing that happened was a small trail of smoke came out near the 24 pin. I quickly cut the power and decided to try it with another power supply. And got exactly zero results. Fans turn on for half a second but that's it. So after being without my computer for well over a month I'm at a loss. Any help?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about smoking board
  1. Sounds like there was some kind of a short between the board and PSU, and most likely the motherboard has been damaged as a result. If you're really lucky, it was just the PSU connector that was damaged and a new PSU will fix it.
  2. I tried it with a different power supply and got the same results without the smoke. So I guess I'll RMA the board back to ASRock. Oh so not happy to do this again.
  3. Remember, if your board is going to smoke, by Federal law it has to be 20 feet from the entrance.

if the PS was the root of the problem to begin with you may have ruined the second motherboard all over again. even though you tried the second power supply there's no way of truly telling.

smoke is a bad sign. re-rma the "new" mobo ( put an indiscriminate mark on it so you don't get the same one back ) and try the second power supply when you get it back.
  4. ragenalien said:
    I tried it with a different power supply and got the same results without the smoke. So I guess I'll RMA the board back to ASRock. Oh so not happy to do this again.

You can try that, but don't be surprised if they refuse it. Essentially it was your PSU that likely damaged the board, it wasn't some sort of defect with the board, so ASRock may well decide that you'll have to pay for a replacement.
  5. Best answer
    on the the new power supply green wire it and with a volt meter check the outputs. look at the pin that fried on the mb and line it up with a stanard atx pin out it tell you the voltage on that pin. make sure your new ps output is within spec. also check all your cards and ram for bent pins and or broken parts. if it was not a bad power supply then something made a dead short. (wrong screws or no standoffs).
  6. Best answer selected by ragenalien.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards