Sign in with
Your question

Freeze/Blackout

Tags:
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 20, 2012 8:47:28 PM

Hey folks,

About 1 week ago I got the new Parts for my PC, I then immediately put them into my pc, even though the fan was a huge pain in the ass to mount, everything went of rather smooth.

Then the magic moment, everything is connected and I pressed the power button, yey, success the PC is booting, all LED's and Fans are running etc.

Drivers + Programs installed, Benchmark time, allthough 3dmark didn't recognize neighter my GPU nor the Driver, the FPS results were pretty fine, here is the result:

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2571756

So you can see that allthough it tells me that the GPU is unknown, its getting used properly.

Now here the problem, allthough the performance and everything is fine, my PC keeps crashing randomly.

Sometimes its a Freeze, a weird noise over the headphones and then silence, mouse doesn't move, complete freeze, no reaction and sometimes its a blackout, computer is down and reboots a few secs after that, like the power would've been gone.

I thought it might have been overheating, but the results of the pc temperatures look like this:

I then downloaded MSI Afterburn and set some custom values for my GPU Fan and now it usually never gets over 60 Degrees, therefore not even close to overheating or shutdown temperature.

But today the PC froze again, during a game Session of Saints Row the Third on Ultra settings, I checked the temperatures a few times, but everything was fine, so it couldn't have been a shutdown thanks to overheating.

I exported the events collection of my pc and uploaded it, those codes (the red x'es the red ! and the yellow ! ones) dont tell me anything, but someone said that this could be a reason for those crashes.

here it is

http://uploaded.to/file/o2wfgd8x

I'm actually Starting to get a little desperate here, I just can't imagin why the System keeps crashing.

Its not the ram, I changed the ram 2 months ago on my old setup, then had a different System with the same ram, no problems, so its not that.

Tomorrow or later tonight I'm gonna take the GPU out again and reinsert it, someone mensioned it could be that the GPU isn't mounted properly.

Well I hope someone of you guys might can help me, and sry for any language issues, English isn't my native language :D 

More about : freeze blackout

January 21, 2012 9:39:18 AM

You did not list what components you have, but based on the symptoms, it may be a memory issue.

Follow these instructions from the Microsoft site, and see what results you get. Note: I linked to the English site, but you can change it at the top of the page. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Diagnosing-...

BTW, your English is fine. English is difficult for me as well as I mostly speak Texan. :) 
January 21, 2012 4:27:06 PM

I ran the tool, pc restarted, test was tested, windows started up, nothing, where can I find my results? :D 

Had another blackscreen today, made the pc up, repositioned the CPU fan as it was pissing me off the way it was in there, took the gpu out and back in, checked if its steady now, then took the ram slides out and put em in in a different order again, and tried to fix my cable chaos.

No Freeze or blackscreen yet.

Allthough the results of the memory thest would be interesting.
January 21, 2012 4:34:12 PM

The Windows tool only gives you bad results. In other words, no news is good news.

If you want a more comprehensive test, you can download and run memtest86. http://www.memtest86.com/
January 21, 2012 6:23:42 PM

Did memtest86, no errors found, so I guess my ram is fine.

Still no freeze / blackscreen, maybe it was really the not completely stable sitting gpu or it might was the new power cable I'm using now, the old one always made an electric sound when i put it in the PSU, the new one doesn't do that.

Or maybe it was the Ram that I took out and reinsterted it again in a different order, who knows, no problems yet.

If I get freezes again, I'm gonna bump the topic, thanks for your help
January 22, 2012 12:32:16 PM

Ok that didn't take long unfortunately.

Another crash today.

Again it looked like the power went out >.<

It wasn't overheating, afterwards we played the same game for over 2 hours and no crash, not even high temperatures.

The memory isn't the problem either.

GPU is sitting properly and connected correctly.

CPU is sitting good and tight, can't be the problem either.

PSU is 1 year old and the cables or the PSU itself shouldn't have any problems.

What the hell is causing those crashes >.<
January 22, 2012 12:59:42 PM

And the next crash -.- same thing - like power would've been gone

This time during surfing though.
January 22, 2012 5:31:17 PM

And the next one -.-

Srsly, need some help here guys.

This time while watching a movie, no way this is caused through overheating.
January 22, 2012 6:19:47 PM

Waddap said:
Did memtest86, no errors found, so I guess my ram is fine.

Still no freeze / blackscreen, maybe it was really the not completely stable sitting gpu or it might was the new power cable I'm using now, the old one always made an electric sound when i put it in the PSU, the new one doesn't do that.

Or maybe it was the Ram that I took out and reinsterted it again in a different order, who knows, no problems yet.

If I get freezes again, I'm gonna bump the topic, thanks for your help

Don't...
Bump posts

Post in ALL CAPS or use excessive punctuation!!
January 22, 2012 9:22:06 PM

So instead of bumping the thread I should've created a new one? lol what kinda logic is that :D 

And it wasn't really a bump if you take a look at the times between the posts.

And what did i post in ALL CAPS?
January 22, 2012 9:59:11 PM

Waddap said:
So instead of bumping the thread I should've created a new one? lol what kinda logic is that :D 

And it wasn't really a bump if you take a look at the times between the posts.

And what did i post in ALL CAPS?

The posting caps bit is just another line from the rules and bumping is not allowed regardless of the time between posts, if you are that impatient then pay someone to help you.
January 23, 2012 11:39:52 AM

If I could, I would, but thats not an option.

Further this hasn't got to do this much with patient does it?

When bumping I basically let others see the topic so that they might click on it and eventually are able to help me, as statistics have shown that only the last 10 forum topics actually are read.

And again, it wasn't even a bump.
January 23, 2012 11:48:33 AM

Waddap said:
If I could, I would, but thats not an option.

Further this hasn't got to do this much with patient does it?

When bumping I basically let others see the topic so that they might click on it and eventually are able to help me, as statistics have shown that only the last 10 forum topics actually are read.

And again, it wasn't even a bump.

That's what bumping is and it's not allowed, so don't do it.
January 23, 2012 1:08:32 PM

First of all- list ALL your hardware- perhaps you have installed incompatible hardware.
Second, remove ALL "free" application downloads, remove free games, and all the other junk. Don't assume that anything you install from the internet is safe.
Then start from scratch. Run the system without all the free junk, and test it again.
Third, 57 degrees on the GPU IS hot as Hades. Take the cover off the side of the unit and let some air in, then test it again, without the covers.
It already says in your test that the graphics driver is not an approved driver. Think about it...
January 23, 2012 4:59:33 PM

57C is not hot for the GPU whatsoever; mine gets to 90+ while gaming. Thats normal.

First and formost, have you gotten any BSOD's, or are you always locking up/shutting down? If you BSOD, post the STOP code.

Secondly, test with another PSU. Its the most likely canadate at this point.
January 23, 2012 6:01:48 PM

CPU: Intel i5 2500k
Mainboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
GPU: ASUS EAH5870
Ram: 8gb DDR3 Corsair 1333
HD: Western Digital 750 gb HD
PSU: 900 W Corsair (1 Year old, no previous problems)

Have to agree with gamerk316 57° is NOTHING for a GPU, for a few GPUS thats actually normal temperature, when it gets above 75° you should do something about it, thanks to MSI afterburn mine doesn't get over 60 ° now :D 

The crashes started when i had basically nothing installed, drivers are all properly installed and so the software shouldn't be the problem, neither the psu, allthough I can't be 100 percent sure bout that, maybe if i find my old PSU i can test it with my old GPU then it should have got enough power, if the crashes keep comming, I can rule GPU and PSU out.
January 31, 2012 6:46:42 AM

The crashes were gone for a couple of days, now they are back.

5 crashes in the last couple of hours, no freezes, just complete Crashes like the power would've been gone for a second, a few secs after the crash the pc boots again by itself.

Really need help here guys.

Happened while i was browsing on the Internet, not doing anything.

It can't be overheating.

The GPU is mounted and connected properly.

Ram is fine and tested.

PSU didn't make any problems with the old mainboard, shouldn't be a problem.

All drivers are installed correctly (afaik).

I have absolutely no clue what the reason for the crashes could be, but I need a solution.
!