Alright...here we go again...

Last response: in Video Games
March 10, 2005 1:50:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.sega.genesis,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

'ello all,

In yet another attempt to get some on-topic talk generated in the
various Sega groups, I figured I'd go ahead and finish off what I
started some time ago in this flurry of posts: http://tinyurl.com/667vp

At any rate, I'll get started here in just a sec...this time around I'll
be going over my Sega CD, 32X, Sega Master System, Game Gear, Saturn and
Dreamcast games. I encourage anyone who is still out there, lurking or
not, to join in and post some thoughts. :)

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

More about : alright

March 10, 2005 4:59:15 PM

BelPowerslave wrote:
> 'ello all,
>
> In yet another attempt to get some on-topic talk generated in the
> various Sega groups, I figured I'd go ahead and finish off what I
> started some time ago in this flurry of posts:
> http://tinyurl.com/667vp
>
> At any rate, I'll get started here in just a sec...this time around
> I'll be going over my Sega CD, 32X, Sega Master System, Game Gear,
> Saturn and Dreamcast games. I encourage anyone who is still out
> there, lurking or not, to join in and post some thoughts. :)
>
> Bel

My kids have a Sega Genesis and a Dreamcast so I'm at least interested.
Preach on brother.

drax
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:06:00 AM

BelPowerslave wrote:
> 'ello all,
>
> In yet another attempt to get some on-topic talk generated in the
> various Sega groups, I figured I'd go ahead and finish off what I
> started some time ago in this flurry of posts:
> http://tinyurl.com/667vp
>
> At any rate, I'll get started here in just a sec...this time around
> I'll be going over my Sega CD, 32X, Sega Master System, Game Gear,
> Saturn and Dreamcast games. I encourage anyone who is still out
> there, lurking or not, to join in and post some thoughts. :)
>
> Bel

Sounds interesting.

++
Fillyourboots
March 22, 2005 1:43:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Despite all prevention efforts, BelPowerslave <belpowerslave@ev1.net>
wrote in news:423F44A4.22E9DAA2@ev1.net:

I'm slightly disappointed there's nothing on San Francisco Rush 2049. :)
I'm a HUGE fan of the 4-player battle mode, so I was looking forward to
your review. Ah well, I may have to do my own...

Good reviews, by the way. I updated my Genesis and SegaCD want lists.

--
Slor
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

> I'm slightly disappointed there's nothing on San Francisco Rush 2049. :)
> I'm a HUGE fan of the 4-player battle mode, so I was looking forward to
> your review. Ah well, I may have to do my own...

I know it...it's one that I always had meant to pick up ever since I had
played a demo of it, but just never got around to it. I can't remember if
it's coming out on MAT v3 or not, but I still doubt it'll include the 4
player battle mode, so I'll definitely still get the DC version at some
point. :)

> Good reviews, by the way. I updated my Genesis and SegaCD want lists.
>
> --
> Slor

Hey, thanks man! :)

Bel

--

Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream...whoa, I think my dingy
hanging out!
- Lo Wang, Shadow Warrior
March 22, 2005 5:58:18 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

BelPowerslave wrote:
snip

> Metropolis Street Racer - Another I got in that lot of DC stuff....man, I *hate*
> this game. I think it's just too sim-ish for me...

I don't enjoy sim games, but I really liked MSR. For those not aware,
MSR is essentially Project Gotham Racing.

> Plasma Sword - Pretty lazy conversion of the arcade game. No 3D
> backgrounds...just flat-ass wallpaper 2D bitmaps(yeehaw)...even the characters
> don't look that great. Ah well, it still plays really well and is quite a bit of
> fun.

No. No it doesn't. Awful fighter.
March 22, 2005 6:02:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

BelPowerslave wrote:
snip
> Sega Bass Fishing - Bought this and the fishing rod over at Comp USA when it was
snip
> Sega Marine Fishing
snip

Yes, SBF2 is a sim, not an arcade game, and shouldn't have been named
SBF2. I hate SBF2. But SBF and SMF are incredible games. I actually have
TRU clearanced copies of the game to give to a friend of mine; I need to
get him a $15 DC, a fishing rod and one of my memory cards and he'll
give me his old Atari 5200...

> Shenmue - OMG, wake me when it's over. I'm sorry, I've tried and tried and tried
> to get into this one...I just can't do it. I wouldn't mind watching the movie of
> it that's dist. with Xbox Shenmue II...but that's about as far as I'll probably
> go.

Heathen!

> Space Channel 5 - I bought this for $5, new at Target...and I still question
> why. I hate playing it...I HATE it. Now, putting it on Auto-play isn't too
> bad...though that gets pretty old too. At least the holographic cover-thing is
> kinda cool...

Heathen! Not Shenmue hater level heathen, but c'mon; don't bash SC5. Bob
your head to the beat and kick ass. Evila rules!
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 11:55:20 AM

> Incoming - A really sort of....odd title by Rage Software. I say that
> as the game's graphics look to be barely N64 quality(though without
> the shitty framerate issue that *every* N64 game has). You get to use
> a variety of things to attack oncoming forces like a stationary canon,
> a helicopter and even a tank(IIRC). It's pretty-low end...but I kind
> of dig it just for mindless shooting that it provides.

Rage never made one title worth a damn.

? Jet Grind Radio...etc?

> MagForce Racing - I vaguely remember this one...some sort of
> hover-racing game IIRC. I remember liking it, but thinking it really
> wasn't anything too special. Need to give it another shot. Anyone have
> any thoughts on this one?

Dull. The cars look like they were desgined by some Sweedish dude that
usually designs office supplies like trendy staplers etc.

> Maken X - I had never played or even given this game a chance up until
> the point at which I bought it in a lot, from someone here in RGVS.
> Very, very, very cool game! Played from a first person point of view,
> you move about, jumping from body to body as you gain new weapons and
> abilities. If you've not ever tried it, it's dirt cheap nowadays, so
> pick it up!!!

Meh. Looks like a PS1 game.

> Plasma Sword - Pretty lazy conversion of the arcade game. No 3D
> backgrounds...just flat-ass wallpaper 2D bitmaps(yeehaw)...even the
> characters don't look that great. Ah well, it still plays really well
> and is quite a bit of fun.

Typically bland Capcom 3d Fighter.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 11:59:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

BelPowerslave <belpowerslave@ev1.net> wrote in

> PowerStone 2 - 4 player(simutaneously) sequel to PowerStone. Pretty
> fun stuff, though it seems like things can get out of hand real quick
> even if you're paying attention. Still, a lot of fun.

Extremely unfocused. PS1's the better game.

> Shenmue - OMG, wake me when it's over. I'm sorry, I've tried and tried
> and tried to get into this one...I just can't do it. I wouldn't mind
> watching the movie of it that's dist. with Xbox Shenmue II...but
> that's about as far as I'll probably go.

Get a save with the 70 man battle option unlocked. The fightin engine's
slick if nothing else.

> Space Channel 5 - I bought this for $5, new at Target...and I still
> question why. I hate playing it...I HATE it. Now, putting it on
> Auto-play isn't too bad...though that gets pretty old too. At least
> the holographic cover-thing is kinda cool...

Never understood why Sega tried to make that the DC's flagship title
back in 2000....
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 12:02:12 PM

> Tekken 3, Bleem!: - I don't much care for Tekken, but to support Bleem
> I picked this disc up(and Tekken 3). My buddies all loved it, so other
> than supporting Bleem, I got it so they'd have something to play as
> well. Makes Tekken 3 look very good...though sadly(and not Bleem's
> fault) the game just lost so much of its graphic luster in its port to
> the PSX(the 3D backgrounds mostly). I don't understand why they
> couldn't have done it on the PSX, I mean, look at Soul Blade, that
> thing had 3D backgrounds...and imo, it looked great for the time.

SB didn't actually have 3d backgrounds. Heck, Soul Calibur didn't either.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 1:05:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

> > PowerStone 2 - 4 player(simutaneously) sequel to PowerStone. Pretty
> > fun stuff, though it seems like things can get out of hand real quick
> > even if you're paying attention. Still, a lot of fun.
>
> Extremely unfocused. PS1's the better game.

You could be right, I didn't put a whole lot of time into any kind of
strategy on either(mainly just played it wildly). ;)

> > Shenmue - OMG, wake me when it's over. I'm sorry, I've tried and tried
> > and tried to get into this one...I just can't do it. I wouldn't mind
> > watching the movie of it that's dist. with Xbox Shenmue II...but
> > that's about as far as I'll probably go.
>
> Get a save with the 70 man battle option unlocked. The fightin engine's
> slick if nothing else.

Yeah, I think you've told me about this at one point. Need to see if
PlanetWeb's DC Save section is still around, wouldn't mind checking this
part out at all.

> > Space Channel 5 - I bought this for $5, new at Target...and I still
> > question why. I hate playing it...I HATE it. Now, putting it on
> > Auto-play isn't too bad...though that gets pretty old too. At least
> > the holographic cover-thing is kinda cool...
>
> Never understood why Sega tried to make that the DC's flagship title
> back in 2000....

Yeah, me either.

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 1:07:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

> > Tekken 3, Bleem!: - I don't much care for Tekken, but to support Bleem
> > I picked this disc up(and Tekken 3). My buddies all loved it, so other
> > than supporting Bleem, I got it so they'd have something to play as
> > well. Makes Tekken 3 look very good...though sadly(and not Bleem's
> > fault) the game just lost so much of its graphic luster in its port to
> > the PSX(the 3D backgrounds mostly). I don't understand why they
> > couldn't have done it on the PSX, I mean, look at Soul Blade, that
> > thing had 3D backgrounds...and imo, it looked great for the time.
>
> SB didn't actually have 3d backgrounds. Heck, Soul Calibur didn't either.

On SB, Are you sure? I remember actually seeing 3D pieces in a lot of the
backgrounds...unless, maybe it was more like 2.5D and only one side was
really visible no matter what camera angle. Hmm....

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 1:52:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

In article <42404257.E3B9D971@ev1.net>,
BelPowerslave <belpowerslave@ev1.net> wrote:

>> > Space Channel 5 - I bought this for $5, new at Target...and I still
>> > question why. I hate playing it...I HATE it. Now, putting it on
>> > Auto-play isn't too bad...though that gets pretty old too. At least
>> > the holographic cover-thing is kinda cool...
>>
>> Never understood why Sega tried to make that the DC's flagship title
>> back in 2000....
>
>Yeah, me either.

Space Channel 5 is one of those games that would be more successful in a
society where music education is compulsory, rather than an expensive
add-on option. Remember the piano scale puzzle in Super Mario RPG? You
don't have to be able to carry a tune in order to solve that problem, but
you do have to have the basics of music theory in your head right there
next to the alphabet and the multiplication tables. In a similar way,
having that knowledge on tap is one of the reasons why I really enjoy
Space Channel 5 as a prime example of a rhythm and music game that doesn't
require a specialized controller (or any special physical skills.)

That's not to say anything against people who don't happen to enjoy the
game for any reason. You could be Todd-Freaking-Rundgren and still not
care for Space Channel 5, and that would be absolutely your right. But I
think that as an example of poor business decisions from Sega, this is one
case where they seriously overestimated the level of their consumer base.
Any other publisher would have correctly categorized this as a niche
title, and Sega boldly (and pretty blindly) expected the mainstream to
accept it. They do get points for chutzpah though. :)

-KKC, who has a busted fingertip and therefore cannot unleash his full
Soul Calibur potential until the healing process is complete...
--
--S.S.B. is the code name for America's daring, highly | kendrick @io .com
trained special mission force. Its purpose: to |

Am 22 Mar 2005 09:02:12 GMT schrieb Joe Ottoson:

> BelPowerslave <belpowerslave@ev1.net> wrote in
>
>> Tekken 3, Bleem!: - I don't much care for Tekken, but to support Bleem
>> I picked this disc up(and Tekken 3). My buddies all loved it, so other
>> than supporting Bleem, I got it so they'd have something to play as
>> well. Makes Tekken 3 look very good...though sadly(and not Bleem's
>> fault) the game just lost so much of its graphic luster in its port to
>> the PSX(the 3D backgrounds mostly). I don't understand why they
>> couldn't have done it on the PSX, I mean, look at Soul Blade, that
>> thing had 3D backgrounds...and imo, it looked great for the time.
>
> SB didn't actually have 3d backgrounds. Heck, Soul Calibur didn't either.

hmm

http://www.emutalk.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1744...
http://www.emutalk.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1779...

looks like 3d or partially 3d to me
March 22, 2005 6:14:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

BelPowerslave wrote:
snip
> I will give you that the rendered chicks rocks, but past that I just don't care for
> it. 128-bit Simon Says just isn't my bag. ;)

Do it for Space Michael Jackson... wait... maybe not...
March 22, 2005 7:21:10 PM

BelPowerslave wrote:

> > > I never did get a chance to play either 2 or 3...but from what I hear, I won't like
> > > them nearly as much as part 1...so I generally don't even bother picking them up when
> > > I see them about.
> >
> > CT3 is cheap, and you have an Xbox; it's worth picking up. It's got
> > versions of 1 and 2 on it, and gives you things like the hop in CT1, and
> > I think the main game is better than 2's main game, but nowhere near as
> > good as 1.
>
> Hmmmmm, isn't part 3 in Las Vegas or something? I think I gathered that much just looking
> at the cover. If I can get it for around $20 or less, I may consider picking it up.
>
> > Pretty much the main reason to pick up 2 by itself is the
> > minigames. The minigames in each of the CTs are worthwhile on their own
> > (once the game is cheap). I'd be willing to pay $20 a year for a new
> > Crazy Taxi minigame disc...
> >

> I didn't much care for the mini-games in part 1, are they pretty similar in part 2?

I may have liked them more in 2 than in 1, but that may have been
partuially due to the fact that I wasn't especially interested in
getting back to the main game in 2...
If you're going to get 3 anyways, try those minigames and see if your
opinion still holds. If so, I wouldn't bother with 2.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 1:45:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

> Spider-Man - Rather than just "bleeming it" the guys a Neversoft(I think
> that's
> the dev) actually recoded and enhanced the graphics for this conversion. I
> don't
> think they added anything new to the game, but it really didn't need it
> anyway.
> Loved this on the PSX, even traded it in towards this version.

I was always upset with the 'bad' ports to the dreamcast, so when once and
while
a good one where the developers actually put some time into it came along it
was
a cause for celebration. Another great port I thought was Soul Reaver, I
love that
game on the Dreamcast.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 1:50:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

> Blue Stinger - Haven't put a whole lot of time into this one, got it dirt
> cheap
> about a year ago. From what I hear, you'll either really like it, or just
> absolutely hate it. We'll see how it goes...

I played through the Japanese version and loved it.. but it's defintely a
love it
or hate it kind of game. I liked the rpg elements where you could level
yourself
up by defeating enemies and then buying vacuum sealed vending machine meats
that upped your stats in various ways.
From what I understand, the Japanese versions camera was a bit different
from the
US version. They allegedly tried to 'fix' it for the US release.. I didn't
have any
problem with the JP release so I can't vouch for which one is better,..
I think at least one dramatic moment (running away from the soon to explode
oil tank)
had some of it's dramatic impact dampened by the 'tweaked' system in the US
version.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 12:48:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

> > Spider-Man - Rather than just "bleeming it" the guys a Neversoft(I think
> > that's
> > the dev) actually recoded and enhanced the graphics for this conversion. I
> > don't
> > think they added anything new to the game, but it really didn't need it
> > anyway.
> > Loved this on the PSX, even traded it in towards this version.
>
> I was always upset with the 'bad' ports to the dreamcast, so when once and
> while
> a good one where the developers actually put some time into it came along it
> was
> a cause for celebration. Another great port I thought was Soul Reaver, I
> love that
> game on the Dreamcast.

I didn't see too much of SR(past the demo on the various DC demo discs) but it
always looked kinda "Bleemed" to me...but then again, those textures looked
really good, so maybe not. I agree though, I really dig it when the dev. puts
some extra effort in and attempts to reprogram the game using the DC's
strengths.

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 3:01:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

BelPowerslave <belpowerslave@ev1.net> wrote:

> > I'm slightly disappointed there's nothing on San Francisco Rush 2049. :)
> > I'm a HUGE fan of the 4-player battle mode, so I was looking forward to
> > your review. Ah well, I may have to do my own...
> >

> I know it...it's one that I always had meant to pick up ever since I had
> played a demo of it, but just never got around to it. I can't remember if
> it's coming out on MAT v3 or not, but I still doubt it'll include the 4
> player battle mode, so I'll definitely still get the DC version at some
> point. :)

You're saying you *don't* have it? Get it now. Seriously. :-)

-Rus.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 3:01:38 PM

Ted <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote:

> BelPowerslave wrote:
> snip
>
> > Metropolis Street Racer - Another I got in that lot of DC stuff....man, I *hate*
> > this game. I think it's just too sim-ish for me...
>
> I don't enjoy sim games, but I really liked MSR.

Same here (on both counts). It's a total pain at the start, but once
you get a few chapters in it gets a lot more fun. Sounds like it's my
turn to say "stick with it", Bel... :-)

-Rus.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 3:01:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

> > > I'm slightly disappointed there's nothing on San Francisco Rush 2049. :)
> > > I'm a HUGE fan of the 4-player battle mode, so I was looking forward to
> > > your review. Ah well, I may have to do my own...
> > >

> > I know it...it's one that I always had meant to pick up ever since I had
> > played a demo of it, but just never got around to it. I can't remember if
> > it's coming out on MAT v3 or not, but I still doubt it'll include the 4
> > player battle mode, so I'll definitely still get the DC version at some
> > point. :)
>
> You're saying you *don't* have it? Get it now. Seriously. :-)
>
> -Rus.

Yeah, I really need to. I played the hell out of the demo, and just really dug
it(I'm a huge fan of the entire Rush series, which is why that MATv3 has me so
hyped), but just never got around to picking it up. I need to get my ass on ebay
and order a copy right now!

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 3:01:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

> > > Metropolis Street Racer - Another I got in that lot of DC stuff....man, I *hate*
> > > this game. I think it's just too sim-ish for me...
> >
> > I don't enjoy sim games, but I really liked MSR.
>
> Same here (on both counts). It's a total pain at the start, but once
> you get a few chapters in it gets a lot more fun. Sounds like it's my
> turn to say "stick with it", Bel... :-)
>
> -Rus.

Hehehhe, yeah, I think everyone I've ever told my thought of MSR on tells me this. It's
like Rainbow Six on the DC, or Ghost Recon on the Xbox...I just can't get into it no
matter how much I try. :(

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/
March 23, 2005 7:12:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Tiger wrote:
snip

> kiddy game
snip