Problem with start up programs in XP Pro

Greetings:

I've been having a problem with some programs that automatically startup
when XP starts. A folder opens up on my desktop instead of the program
executing.

Based on info I found from Doug and Kelly I determined that this was due to
the filename/foldername in the RUN entry not being enclosed in quotes. In
all cases the names have spaces in them. Adding quotes solved my problem.

But this begs the question. Should my system have automatically added the
quotes to the RUN entry in the first place when I installed the application?
Or should the application installer have done this? The author of one of
the programs told me that my system should be doing this not his installer
(?).

Since this problem is fairly recent I am assuming that something on my
system is broke. I never had to manually add quotes to these kinds of
entries before.

If things are indeed broke, how can I fix it?

Thanks.

Hi,

The application installer should have added the quotes.

PS: You do not need to post the same question 5 times.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

<whose_knocking@the.door> wrote in message news:410e45fb$0$20988$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com...
> Greetings:
>
> I've been having a problem with some programs that automatically startup
> when XP starts. A folder opens up on my desktop instead of the program
> executing.
>
> Based on info I found from Doug and Kelly I determined that this was due to
> the filename/foldername in the RUN entry not being enclosed in quotes. In
> all cases the names have spaces in them. Adding quotes solved my problem.
>
> But this begs the question. Should my system have automatically added the
> quotes to the RUN entry in the first place when I installed the application?
> Or should the application installer have done this? The author of one of
> the programs told me that my system should be doing this not his installer
> (?).
>
> Since this problem is fairly recent I am assuming that something on my
> system is broke. I never had to manually add quotes to these kinds of
> entries before.
>
> If things are indeed broke, how can I fix it?
>
> Thanks.

I appreciate the answer and my posts are an example of the old saying 'look
before you leap'.

My NSP was having problems where all posts were not showing up. Naturally I
tried posting the same message a few times and even posted from another NSP
who also seemed to be having their own posting problems.

Well as things often go ALL my posts were posted when the problem cleared up
after a few hours. This is why I have multiple posts for the same problem.

:)