Sign in with
Your question

Issue With System Semi-Shutting Off

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2011 6:39:02 PM

Ok, I'm a bit baffled here. Usually doesn't happen, but here goes.

Sometimes while gaming the system will just randomly shut down. Now, I don't mean shut-down completely, I mean the screen goes black and the computer is locked up to where i can't even push the Power/Reset buttons to get it to re-boot. All fans are still running and it never makes any bit of noise other than going black and locking up.

The only way I can get the system to re-boot when this happens is to turn off the PSU and then turn it back on again after a few seconds. Then it powers back on and runs just fine.

This seems to happen mostly in graphics heavy situations when something "sudden" happens on screen. Like an explosion nearby, etc. Even when maybe the graphics card is trying to render something really quick randomly? It's always while gaming. I've even had it happen in games that shouldn't be pulling on the GPU really at all.

So the reason why I'm baffled is the part that the computer is completely non-functional after this happens. Normally I should be able to push the power button or reset button to restart/shut down the PC. The only way I can is as I mentioned by turning off the PSU... The screen is black and lost signal, and everything else is still running... yet the power buttons fail to work... So that's the dillema I'm in.

Is it the Graphics card causing the problem? OR is the it the PSU getting too much of a pull in certain situations and that's happening.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

Btw: My PSU = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My GPU = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2011 6:53:45 PM

Dump and re-install CCC drivers.
Try a version that was previously stable.
Adjust game settings might be too high.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2011 6:54:46 PM

If you hold down the power button for 4 seconds, does it shut off? If it does when your PC is running normally, but not after one of these lockups, your mobo may have taken sick and isn't sending the signal on to the PSU. Reset your BIOS to defaults and see if that makes a difference. If the four-second button press never shuts it off, it could also be the PSU. Normally an excellent brand, even Corsair might have the occasional defect. You're definitely not overloading it though; you should easily be able to run two HD6870 GPUs on a decent 650W PSU.
m
l
Related resources
October 20, 2011 8:02:05 PM

Onus said:
If you hold down the power button for 4 seconds, does it shut off? If it does when your PC is running normally, but not after one of these lockups, your mobo may have taken sick and isn't sending the signal on to the PSU. Reset your BIOS to defaults and see if that makes a difference. If the four-second button press never shuts it off, it could also be the PSU. Normally an excellent brand, even Corsair might have the occasional defect. You're definitely not overloading it though; you should easily be able to run two HD6870 GPUs on a decent 650W PSU.

Yeah, see that's the thing. The 4-second count doesn't turn it off. It's like everything freezes which is why I'm thinking PSU. It's all 'running' still, but the video card loses connection to the monitor and the thing won't shut-off.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2011 10:13:14 PM

Does it EVER turn it off? Try it before you log in some time, or when you're done for a while, instead of telling it to shut down. Not graceful, but this is a test. If it doesn't shut down then, I'd probably suspect the PSU. If it does, then the mobo.
m
l
October 20, 2011 10:57:09 PM

Onus said:
Does it EVER turn it off? Try it before you log in some time, or when you're done for a while, instead of telling it to shut down. Not graceful, but this is a test. If it doesn't shut down then, I'd probably suspect the PSU. If it does, then the mobo.

The issue isn't when signing on/off, etc... The system works fine.

It only does it when there's a sudden pull on the graphics card. This doesn't happen all that often, but often enough to be a nuisance. You'll be playing a game and then an explosion will happen, and it will do this. Losing connection to video card, and the PC won't turn off at all. Nothing works on it until you turn off the PSU and turn it back on.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2011 11:52:23 PM

You haven't answered my question. I know the power switch won't turn it off after a crash, but what about when there has been no crash? Does it work then?

Edit: ...and yes, I know that is not normally how you would turn off your PC when done (you'd do a normal shutdown), but for the sake of testing, if there has not been one of these crashes, will the power switch turn off your PC after 4-5 seconds?
m
l
October 21, 2011 4:02:10 AM

Onus said:
You haven't answered my question. I know the power switch won't turn it off after a crash, but what about when there has been no crash? Does it work then?

Edit: ...and yes, I know that is not normally how you would turn off your PC when done (you'd do a normal shutdown), but for the sake of testing, if there has not been one of these crashes, will the power switch turn off your PC after 4-5 seconds?

ah, sorry. Yeah the power button functions completely normal when the PC is normal. It powers on/powers off/resets, etc...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 21, 2011 10:07:24 AM

In that case, I suspect your mobo has opted for early retirement. If a BIOS flash and/or reset does not fix this, you should replace it (under warranty would be nice).
m
l
October 21, 2011 2:44:28 PM

Onus said:
In that case, I suspect your mobo has opted for early retirement. If a BIOS flash and/or reset does not fix this, you should replace it (under warranty would be nice).

Yeah, everything is under warranty, so that's not a problem.

Trying to figure out why you think it's the mobo though?

m
l
October 21, 2011 3:03:19 PM

Actually.... It might be the motherboard after all..

I just found this: 3rd post by labasu

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289104-30-890fxa-gd65...

Apparently it's an issue that others have and can be fixed with a bios update?

I'll try that and see.... It doesn't happen often enough for me to 'test' so I'll have to do some heavy gaming to see if it occurs some more. It's weird that it only does it for me then, but the issue in that thread with labasu is exactly what happens to me.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 21, 2011 8:42:05 PM

Well great if a BIOS update fixes it. If not, there's always warranty replacement. If possible, I'd suggest a brand other than MSI. I'd choose Asus or ASRock.
m
l
!