New pc build low fps

mightymac

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
i just built a pc (using a biostar 780l3l mb, amd 280ghz 6 core cpu, 8 gig ddr3, and a evga 550ti video card) the problem i am having is the game i play is only getting between 8-20 fps after the new build and on my old pc using a (forgot the mb) amd dual 2.71 ghz cpu 2 gig of ddr2 ram and a ati 4850 video card i was getting in 90s on fps so i know something must be wrong somewhere or is the 4850 ati just a better video card then the 550ti.

the game is ddo its not a high tech graphics game

mightymac

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
ok just got finished using the ati had4850 viedeo card in the pc same fps as the 550ti geforce. I put the hd4850 ati back into older pc and got on ddo and the fps was back up into the mid to high 90s so i am thinking it is something to do with the bios and i know very little about working with the bios.

Mrthorp

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
have you made sure you installed all drivers? and well, ram, power cords, vid cards plugged in all the way?

what do you have running while trying to perform these tests? also, go to a website and get latest drivers. often times the stuff that ships with hardware can be months-years old.

mightymac

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
well i had nothing running with it while testing the cards. yes i double checked all of that and i downloaded the newset drivers from nvidia this morning (just got pc put together yesterday) i am new to windows 7. does windows 7 have some kind of power saver that keeps it from working. in the device manager it shows that the display monitar is the 550ti video card and says its working with no problems and that the drivers are up to date

mightymac

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
res is set to 1440 x 900 (i set it to the lowest 800x600 and it was the exact same fps) not sure on the refresh rate but its set to the same as my monitor. i just checked it and its set on auto i then used all the setting for it and it didnt change anything

Mrthorp

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
id say there is something wrong with your card. if your old card is producing those Numbers and the new one isnt.. may have to RMA that thing. the fact that you get display out of it makes me wonder what is up though.

try calling the manufacturer.. they may be able to offer more technical assistance.

i am not expert, im just smart enough to get myself into trouble.

mightymac

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
i tried the old card in the new pc i get the same fps with that card as with the new card in the new pc and no matter what settings i try and play the game its the same fps. i believe there is something in windows 7 holding it back or ether with my mother board.