Sign in with
Your question

To Drive or Not to Drive?

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2011 7:09:34 PM

Hi again everyone.

Back on October 14th I submitted a post ("Better Educated") which listed the components of my first new build. Well, another question came up in which I could use everyones oppinions again.

It's time to purchase another component for my build, this time an Optical Drive, and I was wondering if an Optical Drive is even needed any more? It seems that most programs and apps can now be downloaded (OS, security suites, music, movies, games, etc) which would tend to make the use of an Optical Drive somewhat obsolete (sort of like floppy drives). For myself, any music cd's or movie DVD's/Blu-ray's that I use are played using a DVD/Blu-ray player rather than on my computer. Even back-ups are saved now to either external HHD's or Flash Drives instead of using an Optical Drive to burn data discs.

If, in your oppinion an Optical Drive is not really needed, then I will use the money saved by not buying that component and instead, apply it to an upgrade of something else. If you think that the Optical Drive still has a future in new builds, then a-shopping we will go! Thanks.

More about : drive drive

October 20, 2011 7:47:50 PM

You are mostly right about the cd/dvd player but it does still have some use and there are some hardware that require a cd to install an the most important of all is Windows. As far as I know it is still installed with a cd. If you want to get one I would get a dvd r/rw and besides they are not very expensive , you can get a good one for around $20 to $25. When they start shipping Windows and hardware with a usb stick for install then you can get rid of the optical drive.
October 20, 2011 7:49:46 PM

A dvd drive is only 20 bucks why not get one. Optical drives are still needed imo.
Related resources
October 20, 2011 8:08:06 PM

It is MOSTLY not needed, but when you need it you need it as not everything has turned to the way of digital downloads yet. And $20 for something you use and probably have jump from build to build isn't much. For this reason I would actually probably just buy a blue ray drive which I think their around $50 or burner for around $70.

Because personally my dvd burner has already jumped between 3 computers as of now and is still chugging along. It's not like these things get outdated like other computer hardware, where somthing is better in 6months. If it still works it works. To date I only have one cd drive fail in all my years. This is a feat considering there use to be a toddler running around stuffing candy and ice pops in dvd drives and players when you take your eyes off him for 2seconds to get something from another room. So having to take apart more than my fair share of these things to clean out, I can tell you their quite durable.

Ohh got side tracked, long story short it's worth the extra money for the dvd drive, and if you can spare it the blue ray drive or burner as you will likely be using it in future builds as well.
October 20, 2011 8:19:32 PM

In some ways I think an optical drive is still needed. I've heard talk of ISPs like Verizon and Time Warner going to start charging large amounts of money for going over a certain limit like they already do on a lot of mobile phone plans - and if that happens it's worth it in the long run - if that happens you certainly don't want to get charged downloading multiple HD movies or huge multi-gig game files. I don't know if that's going to happen yet, but when it does that could rack up huge bills. You can get an inexpensive blu-ray burner now (like the LG Super Multi - it's currently going for $70 on Newegg) and I'd highly recommend doing that if you want to. If not then it's your call.
October 20, 2011 8:30:12 PM

Despite not using my DVD drive for installing new software very often, I do burn CDs for the car and I make DVDs for people who don't download everything from the internet. I would say DVD burners are a long way off from being obsolete. Also, it is the only convenient way to do a fresh install of Windows/Ubuntu (don't know about Mac since I never use them)
October 22, 2011 4:10:10 PM

inzone said:
You are mostly right about the cd/dvd player but it does still have some use and there are some hardware that require a cd to install an the most important of all is Windows. As far as I know it is still installed with a cd. If you want to get one I would get a dvd r/rw and besides they are not very expensive , you can get a good one for around $20 to $25. When they start shipping Windows and hardware with a usb stick for install then you can get rid of the optical drive.

Thanks for your reply inzone. Though most programs and apps can now be installed from a download, you're right in that the Windows OS still comes as a disc. As you said, perhaps some day the OS will be shipped as a usb stick, but until then, a-shopping I will go [for an optical drive].
October 22, 2011 4:12:22 PM

christop said:
A dvd drive is only 20 bucks why not get one. Optical drives are still needed imo.

Thanks for your reply christop. You are correct. Seems that Optical Drives are still needed.
October 22, 2011 4:29:37 PM

assasin32 said:
It is MOSTLY not needed, but when you need it you need it as not everything has turned to the way of digital downloads yet. And $20 for something you use and probably have jump from build to build isn't much. For this reason I would actually probably just buy a blue ray drive which I think their around $50 or burner for around $70.

Because personally my dvd burner has already jumped between 3 computers as of now and is still chugging along. It's not like these things get outdated like other computer hardware, where somthing is better in 6months. If it still works it works. To date I only have one cd drive fail in all my years. This is a feat considering there use to be a toddler running around stuffing candy and ice pops in dvd drives and players when you take your eyes off him for 2seconds to get something from another room. So having to take apart more than my fair share of these things to clean out, I can tell you their quite durable.

Ohh got side tracked, long story short it's worth the extra money for the dvd drive, and if you can spare it the blue ray drive or burner as you will likely be using it in future builds as well.

Thank you for your imput assasin32. Back in the B.C. days (Before Cable) when they still had things like VCR's instead of DVD's, my then toddler daughter decided that the VCR Player would be a good place to put her grilled cheese sandwich. Ahh-didn't play well (lol). Thanks again for bringing back (what is now) a fond memory.
October 22, 2011 4:55:44 PM

g-unit1111 said:
In some ways I think an optical drive is still needed. I've heard talk of ISPs like Verizon and Time Warner going to start charging large amounts of money for going over a certain limit like they already do on a lot of mobile phone plans - and if that happens it's worth it in the long run - if that happens you certainly don't want to get charged downloading multiple HD movies or huge multi-gig game files. I don't know if that's going to happen yet, but when it does that could rack up huge bills. You can get an inexpensive blu-ray burner now (like the LG Super Multi - it's currently going for $70 on Newegg) and I'd highly recommend doing that if you want to. If not then it's your call.

Thanks g-unit1111 for your insight. I never even thought of the possibility that one may eventually be charged extra for going over a certain download limit. If that were come to pass then having an Optical Drive would certainly be a wise investment.
October 22, 2011 5:34:30 PM

nordlead said:
Despite not using my DVD drive for installing new software very often, I do burn CDs for the car and I make DVDs for people who don't download everything from the internet. I would say DVD burners are a long way off from being obsolete. Also, it is the only convenient way to do a fresh install of Windows/Ubuntu (don't know about Mac since I never use them)

Thank you for your imput nordlead. Like you I don't use my Optical Drive very often. In fact I've only used it once in the last two years. That is what prompted my question as to whether Optical Drives are even needed anymore. As I understand from all the feedback I've received, Optical Drives are still a necessity, for at least a while.
October 22, 2011 6:19:28 PM

I keep a dvd drive in the drawer for the odd occasion I need one, then throw it back in once I'm done with it
Moto
!