PC Upgrade for Adobe After Effects - Need advice!

Approximate Purchase Date: Within a week

Budget Range: $900

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video/image editing

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, sound card, may keep PSU Corsair VX550W

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: None except for an Intel processor

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 10890

Additional Comments: Need lots of memory
I'm looking to upgrade my PC (non-gaming) that I use strictly for image rendering (Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, InDesign). I'm now going to start learning Adobe After Effects and it requires tons of RAM and a fast HDD.

The only thing that I know I am getting at this point is the case. Going with the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139005&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL102011&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL102011-_-EMC-102011-Index-_-ComputerCases-_-11139005-L03C.

My other thoughts are getting an i5 or i7 CPU and an SSD (at least 100GB). I have no clue what motherboard to get.

I currently have a Intel Q6700 CPU, WD VelociRaptor 300GB HDD, and an old NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT GPU. I believe the MoBo is a Gigabyte P35. I'm running W7 Ultimate 64-bit.

** I appreciate the expert advice!
9 answers Last reply
More about upgrade adobe effects advice
  1. Anyone?
  2. Try filling this out. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice Is there a reason why you chose that case?

FYI when posting a link just copy/paste no need to do anything special.
  3. Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't aware. :-)
  4. Bump.
  5. Thanks, k1114.

I really like that motherboard and SSD you linked.

I have a Promo code theu Newegg that knocks $15 off the Corsair case. Just curious why you think it's "unnecessary and expensive"?

Thanks again.
  6. It costs more than the motherboard. Big cases are meant to be big for fitting multi-gpu setups with possibly large cards while keeping good airflow, yours will be pretty empty and wasted. It's better to save that $100 or put it towards the other components. But if you did not need other parts than what I listed, it's still somewhat within you budget and I won't stop you. I do know for some people looks are very important, I, personally, just like a good balance between the two. Even when buying a silent case, there are good ones that cost less.
  7. I agree with you about the aesthetics and it is definitely not my main reason for buying computer components. The video seemed to have sold me on it.

However, I would definitely look at something just as good for a better price. Do you have any recommendations?
  8. These days there is a huge selection of good quality cases, just take a look on newegg and post any you like. Most of the high rated ones are good. I have the antec 300 illusion when it was on sale for 55 but I would rather have something quieter. 400r, haf 922 or 912, storm scout, cm690, phantom, lian li has a lot of good ones, fractal has good silent ones though a bit bland, just naming a few, there are plenty others.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product