Sign in with
Your question

PC Upgrade for Adobe After Effects - Need advice!

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2011 7:20:12 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Within a week

Budget Range: $900

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video/image editing

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, sound card, may keep PSU Corsair VX550W

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: None except for an Intel processor

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 10890

Additional Comments: Need lots of memory
I'm looking to upgrade my PC (non-gaming) that I use strictly for image rendering (Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, InDesign). I'm now going to start learning Adobe After Effects and it requires tons of RAM and a fast HDD.

The only thing that I know I am getting at this point is the case. Going with the .

My other thoughts are getting an i5 or i7 CPU and an SSD (at least 100GB). I have no clue what motherboard to get.

I currently have a Intel Q6700 CPU, WD VelociRaptor 300GB HDD, and an old NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT GPU. I believe the MoBo is a Gigabyte P35. I'm running W7 Ultimate 64-bit.

** I appreciate the expert advice!
Related resources
October 21, 2011 4:26:55 PM

Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't aware. :-)
m
l
October 21, 2011 11:20:43 PM
October 21, 2011 11:34:57 PM

Thanks, k1114.

I really like that motherboard and SSD you linked.

I have a Promo code theu Newegg that knocks $15 off the Corsair case. Just curious why you think it's "unnecessary and expensive"?

Thanks again.
m
l
October 22, 2011 12:01:10 AM

It costs more than the motherboard. Big cases are meant to be big for fitting multi-gpu setups with possibly large cards while keeping good airflow, yours will be pretty empty and wasted. It's better to save that $100 or put it towards the other components. But if you did not need other parts than what I listed, it's still somewhat within you budget and I won't stop you. I do know for some people looks are very important, I, personally, just like a good balance between the two. Even when buying a silent case, there are good ones that cost less.
m
l
October 22, 2011 12:29:18 AM

I agree with you about the aesthetics and it is definitely not my main reason for buying computer components. The video seemed to have sold me on it.

However, I would definitely look at something just as good for a better price. Do you have any recommendations?
m
l
October 22, 2011 2:07:09 AM

These days there is a huge selection of good quality cases, just take a look on newegg and post any you like. Most of the high rated ones are good. I have the antec 300 illusion when it was on sale for 55 but I would rather have something quieter. 400r, haf 922 or 912, storm scout, cm690, phantom, lian li has a lot of good ones, fractal has good silent ones though a bit bland, just naming a few, there are plenty others.
m
l
!