Can I change incorrect 'picture taken on' date/time?

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 14, 2005 12:39:31 AM

On a recent trip, I forgot to reset the camera date/time to reflect a 7
hour time zone change. Therefore, all of the pictures taken have an
incorrect date/time stamp.
Because I traveled from East to West, some of the pictures taken in the
evening, are listed as being taken the following day, in the early
morning. Disconcerting!

Is there any way to correct this date group which is stored with each
picture?

Additional info
I have software to modify the date/time of file properties "Created on",
"Modified on", and "Accessed on", but this does not change the picture's
internal data.
Picture format is .jpg, camera is HP R707, which stores camera settings
with each photo. Computer uses Windows XP.
Camera type shouldn't matter, as almost all digital cameras store the
date/time with the image.
Forgetting to adjust the time, would probably be a common error, made by
many people, and a utility to correct the picture's internal date/time
would be useful.

Can anyone help?
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:39:32 AM

I use ACDSee to adjust my camera time, I don't change it when I travel.
There are any number of programs that will allow you to adjust the
time but so far ACDSee seems to be the easiest, and I already use it
for browsing my photos.
April 14, 2005 12:39:32 AM

Hello,

You can try Exif Pilot (http://www.colorpilot.com/exif.html) - the
program for exif data editing.
You can download the trial version of the program from
http://www.colorpilot.com/load/exif.exe

Exif Pilot allows you:
- to change name, date, copyright, and any other EXIF parameter
(select a file and click "Edit");
- to edit exif data of bunch of photos (select a bunch of images,
click "Edit" and change any parameter for all the selected images *);
- to set timestamps for a bunch of photos ahead or back a certain
number of hours*;
- to add exif data to the JPG files that didn't have it before (select
a file and click "Edit" to add EXIF info).

* batch editing available in the registered version only.

Best regards,

Olga Panchenko
Two Pilots
http://www.colorpilot.com
April 14, 2005 12:39:32 AM

Get a trial version of ACDSee, it is free to try for something like 30
days. It really is very easy to
adjust the time stamp.

Scott
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:39:32 AM

Happened to me at the wedding recently.
Day light savings time was up, and the hour got pushed up by 1hr.
So between 10pm-12 the right wedding date is on the photos, after 12,
the next day's date is on the photos.
so half have 4 3 '05, the other half 4 4 '05.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:17:03 AM

gil wrote:
> Is there any way to correct this date group which is stored with each
> picture?

Exifer [1] does what you want.

[1] http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/

--
Mail to my "From:" address is readable by all at http://www.dodgeit.com/
== ** ## !! ------------------------------------------------ !! ## ** ==

At approximately 2005/04/13 19:17, Pedro Graca typed these characters:
> gil wrote:
>
>>Is there any way to correct this date group which is stored with each
>>picture?
>

> Exifer [1] does what you want.
>
> [1] http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/

tried exifer.

I can read exif data from pictures taken with my OLD camera (Kodak
LS443) but cannot read the data from its replacement (HP R707) Exifer
says 'No Data'

HP site says 707 uses exif 2.2 standard, and exifer site says program
should detect versions up to 2.2

Sounds like someone goofed.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 4:06:58 AM

Use Greenwich Mean Time then calculate based on venue.

"gil" <gilsxervicxes@ns.sxympatico.ca> wrote in message
> On a recent trip, I forgot to reset the camera date/time to reflect a 7
> hour time zone change. Therefore, all of the pictures taken have an
> incorrect date/time stamp.
> Because I traveled from East to West, some of the pictures taken in the
> evening, are listed as being taken the following day, in the early
> morning. Disconcerting!
>
> Is there any way to correct this date group which is stored with each
> picture?
>
> Additional info
> I have software to modify the date/time of file properties "Created on",
> "Modified on", and "Accessed on", but this does not change the picture's
> internal data.
> Picture format is .jpg, camera is HP R707, which stores camera settings
> with each photo. Computer uses Windows XP.
> Camera type shouldn't matter, as almost all digital cameras store the
> date/time with the image.
> Forgetting to adjust the time, would probably be a common error, made by
> many people, and a utility to correct the picture's internal date/time
> would be useful.
>
> Can anyone help?
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 4:15:12 AM

Mr.Bolshoy Huy wrote:
> Happened to me at the wedding recently.
> Day light savings time was up, and the hour got pushed up by 1hr.
> So between 10pm-12 the right wedding date is on the photos, after 12,
> the next day's date is on the photos.
> so half have 4 3 '05, the other half 4 4 '05.

Does that cause a problem?

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

I know exactly what you mean. This is what you want:

http://www.jddesign.co.uk/

Look for "TouchPRO" on the site. Actually, this is something every
windows system should have.

-jtpr
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:26:09 PM

I know exactly what you mean. This is what you want:

http://www.jddesign.co.uk/

Look for "TouchPRO" on the site. Actually, this is something every
windows system should have. No affiliation

-jtpr
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:13:07 PM

Mr.Bolshoy Huy wrote:
> Happened to me at the wedding recently.
> Day light savings time was up, and the hour got pushed up by 1hr.
> So between 10pm-12 the right wedding date is on the photos, after 12,
> the next day's date is on the photos.
> so half have 4 3 '05, the other half 4 4 '05.

It is not obvious what you are talking about. Some cameras imprint a
time and date on the picture. I don't think you can change that except
in photoshop.

Some cameras store the date in the name of the photo. You can easily
rename the photos. In fact there are programs that will rename an
entire folder of files in batch mode.

Most all digital cameras keep metadata of the f/stop, shutter speed,
date, time and dozens of other things in the photo file. To change this
you need a metadata editor. Here is one:

Genus ViewMinder is a metadata editor for Windows 98, NT, 2k, Me, XP
http://www.tucows.com/preview/341782.html
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1091471021.html
http://www.graphics.com/modules.php?name=News&file=arti...

I don't know if it's free version will allow you to edit and save the
metadata. It is worth a try. I don't use windows.

On the Macs there is a free metadata editor called Metadata Hootenanny.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to rhodyman@earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

I use GMT a lot, and am comfortable using it at work. My pictures are
not only for my benefit. Others, who can't easily convert times, will be
looking at the pictures which will not seem to make sense to them.

An example

A photo taken at a company banquet at 2100 hours on April 14 in Hawaii
would display a date/time stamp of 0700 hours April 15.
The boss wonders why the party lasted until dawn?

Another factor is to make sure that you keep track of the location, it's
time zone, and whether DST is kept, and in effect or not.

So using local time is more logical. A picture taken during the day,
would show a local time stamp making it easier to determine exactly
where you were at that time.

At approximately 2005/04/14 04:06, Logan Spitznauer typed these characters:

> Use Greenwich Mean Time then calculate based on venue.
>

> "gil" <gilsxervicxes@ns.sxympatico.ca> wrote in message
>
>>On a recent trip, I forgot to reset the camera date/time to reflect a 7
>>hour time zone change. Therefore, all of the pictures taken have an
>>incorrect date/time stamp.
>>Because I traveled from East to West, some of the pictures taken in the
>>evening, are listed as being taken the following day, in the early
>>morning. Disconcerting!
>>
>>Is there any way to correct this date group which is stored with each
>>picture?
>>
>>Additional info
>>I have software to modify the date/time of file properties "Created on",
>>"Modified on", and "Accessed on", but this does not change the picture's
>>internal data.
>>Picture format is .jpg, camera is HP R707, which stores camera settings
>>with each photo. Computer uses Windows XP.
>>Camera type shouldn't matter, as almost all digital cameras store the
>>date/time with the image.
>>Forgetting to adjust the time, would probably be a common error, made by
>>many people, and a utility to correct the picture's internal date/time
>>would be useful.
>>
>>Can anyone help?

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 8:38:35 AM

gil <gilsxervicxes@ns.sxympatico.ca> writes:

>Is there any way to correct this date group which is stored with each
>picture?

I did the same thing once; had a 8 hour error. I think I ended up using
a program called exifer. It's particularly nice for this, because
there's a way to tell it to change the date by a certain amount on each
of a whole batch of photos. So fixing the EXIF data was nearly
instantaneous, once I figured out the right way to do it.

It took a little longer to move all the photos into the correct
directory. I use Breeze Downloader, configured to automatically store
each image in a directory named for the shooting date in the EXIF data.
Thus, a bunch of images ended in the wrong directory and had to be moved
by hand.

Dave
April 15, 2005 3:39:49 PM

You can do this with Adobe Photoshop Elements or Album

"gil" <gilsxervicxes@ns.sxympatico.ca> wrote in message
> On a recent trip, I forgot to reset the camera date/time to reflect a 7
> hour time zone change. Therefore, all of the pictures taken have an
> incorrect date/time stamp.
> Because I traveled from East to West, some of the pictures taken in the
> evening, are listed as being taken the following day, in the early
> morning. Disconcerting!
>
> Is there any way to correct this date group which is stored with each
> picture?
>
> Additional info
> I have software to modify the date/time of file properties "Created on",
> "Modified on", and "Accessed on", but this does not change the picture's
> internal data.
> Picture format is .jpg, camera is HP R707, which stores camera settings
> with each photo. Computer uses Windows XP.
> Camera type shouldn't matter, as almost all digital cameras store the
> date/time with the image.
> Forgetting to adjust the time, would probably be a common error, made by
> many people, and a utility to correct the picture's internal date/time
> would be useful.
>
> Can anyone help?
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:58:11 PM

"Larry" <lsimon@nospammail.com> wrote:

> You can do this with Adobe Photoshop Elements or Album

I said the same thing, but when I went in to PS Elements to do it, the
dates were locked. How do you unlock them to make changes?

--
!