Athlon XP 2200 clocked wrongly most of time

coltson

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I have an old Athlon XP2200+, the one that is clocked at 1.8Ghz. However, one random day I entered the BIOS and saw that the clock rate was 1.35Ghz. That is because the FSB frequency automatically changed to 100Mhz instead the normal 133Mhz. Since FSB manual adjusts aren't allowed (if I am not mistake it's because this is a throghbred A model that doesn' t allow adjusts) I am with the cpu locked at this frequency without being able to do anything to change it, except some kind oft weld that I dont have the equipment to do.

However there is a catch. One day I entered the BIOS, or used one these programs that inform hardware data, and I saw that the clock rate returned to normal! However next time I rebooted the pc, the clock rate decreased again. And that is the "normal" frequency, one occasionally it retuns to the correct value.

Any ideas of the reason behind that and maybe a magical solution?

Thanks for the help.

r0ck3tm@n

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
I had that problem with a motherboard some years ago. That motherboard and processor would not die though, worked for many years.

You should be able to get in the BIOS and set the FSB frequency to 133Mhz. However, you will get tired of that so just do what I did and keep the FSB at 100Mhz and use a higher multiplier for the cpu clock to get the target cpu frequency or close to it, works fine. It's not overclocking and the multiplier lock should not come into play.

It was on an Asus A7V133 I believe.