Sign in with
Your question

Ram timings Questiona dn Compare

Last response: in Memory
November 21, 2012 12:09:34 AM

Hey guys quick question here. Newegg has some G.Skill Ripjaw X series 2133 ram with a Cas latency of 9 on sale right now. An 8GB kit. I currently have the g.skill ripjaws 1600 ram which also has a cas of 9. Is this an upgrade or not? Please explain why or why not!! Thanks.

Current RAM Timings---1600 @ 9-9-9-24

New RAM 2133@ 9-11-10-28
November 21, 2012 12:44:56 AM

Do you overclock, and how much RAM do you have now?
m
l
a c 102 } Memory
November 23, 2012 3:31:19 PM

If you overclock CPU frequency, the higher DRAM frequency can be benefited. Otherwise, if CPU frequency is stock, it will not be a significant increase in overall performance.

Though with a higher specification RAM, you can lower DRAM Frequency and timings to improve overall latency. For example, the DDR3-2133 kit may be capable of DDR3-1600 CL7, while your original kit may not be capable.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT
m
l
December 3, 2012 6:16:52 AM

jmathis1108 said:
Hey guys quick question here. Newegg has some G.Skill Ripjaw X series 2133 ram with a Cas latency of 9 on sale right now. An 8GB kit. I currently have the g.skill ripjaws 1600 ram which also has a cas of 9. Is this an upgrade or not? Please explain why or why not!! Thanks.

Current RAM Timings---1600 @ 9-9-9-24

New RAM 2133@ 9-11-10-28

Current- 1600 @ 9-9-9-24
Upgrade/not – 2133@ 9-11-10-28

When it comes to memory timings you need to set aside what you know about clock speeds; I know we all want the fastest clock speeds for our memory. When it comes to “timing” on how your memory operates lower the number the better. For an example your current memory is 9-9-9-24 what that actually means is……CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-CMD. It doesn’t matter what your clock speed is because if you have a stick of memory at lower clock speed but it has a faster reply “CAS latency” meaning the time it takes between command having been sent to the memory and when it begins to reply to it I will choose the lower clock speed. I’m not going go in-depth on memory timings because this is something an average person can look up. Just off of your post I would stick with your current memory for two reasons. Reason being, of course, the memory timings is much better than the 2133Mhz. Reason 2 being that just because it says 2133 MHz doesn’t necessarily mean it will run like that right when you install it in your computer. When purchasing memory ALWAYS do research on your motherboard to see what timings it can support and if you are able to adjust your memory timings. If you are able to adjust your memory timings there is a chance you can reach the 2133mhz; however, you will need to increase your memory timings in order to achieve that and you will only be slowing yourself down.
m
l
!