Nvidia Geforce 7900 gs upgrade

Overseer Nathan

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hey all,

I am looking to upgrade my GPU but being the not so tech savvy person I have no idea where to to start, I currently use the Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS.

I'm not sure what other information to supplu only that I use the ASRock G41C-GS mother board, any advice is welcome.

Overseer Nathan

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Sorry, I also aim to spend about £100 I'm not sure on my power supply
My current CPU is an Intel Pentium 4 3.40GHz
And I intend on using it for gaming mainly Team Fortress 2

rockyjohn

Distinguished
You should look at the stickee on this forum about how to ask for advice on video cards:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/290969-33-advice-choosing

Besides this forum, two other good sources of information are:

A good place to start a search for good cards is the THG article on the best video cards for the money, updated monthly to reflect new prices and new cards. Note that it includes a very brief description of the performance level of the card plus links to reviews with detailed performance benchmarks, most often with comparisons to other cards:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-radeon-geforce,2997.html

For more general information about how to upgrade video cards, including determining system limits and comparing, selecting and installing video cards, I recommend this site:

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/criteria.html

Overseer Nathan

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011

When I look at the PSU without opening the case there is a little red switch which says 230V if that's any help?

Overseer Nathan

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011

Thank you for the links! I will check them out, and I noticed the guide after I had submitted my post. Wont happen again! :)

All the little red voltage switch tells us is that it is an older, obsolete design that is inefficient. It may also be overrated, but not necessarily. While not a "good" PSU by modern standards, that doesn't mean it sucks, or cannot handle a modest GPU upgrade. The brand and model, and/or the wattage ratings on the label inside, will give us more information.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Since Overseer is in Britain - I beleive - I am not sure it is unusual that he has a PSU with a voltage switch for 230v. Are you suggesting Jtt that all new, quality PSUs automatically switch between 120v and 230v?

Overseer Nathan

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011

I just opened my case and read it is a 400W psu which is made by Octigen.

Yes, full range active PFC PSUs can run on 100V-240V. No little voltage switch is necessary.
I've never heard of Octigen, but that doesn't mean much. Even if it is a little overrated (e.g. good for only 325W-350W), you should have no trouble with a HD6670 or HD5670. Either of those are vastly superior to your 7900GS; seven tiers higher on the monthly graphics card hierarchy chart.

Edit: If you really want to stick with nVidia, get a GT240. That won't be quite as strong (six tiers higher if it has GDDR5 or five tiers with GDDR3), but will also be safe with your PSU.

Overseer Nathan

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011

It's funny you recomend them as I was just looking at them! thanks for all answers. Will it play Team Fortress 2 though?