Sign in with
Your question

Who is making P4 Cases & Which one is Recommended?

Last response: in Components
January 12, 2001 4:34:30 AM

I have not look very hard but with the searching on google I did do I found nothing.

"A masochist walked up to a sadist, and said 'Hurt me'. The sadist said 'No' and walked away."
Anonymous
January 12, 2001 7:23:18 AM

I'm about to buy a case from <A HREF="http://www.addtonics.com" target="_new">http://www.addtonics.com&lt;/A>

Pentium 4 MB tray costs an extra $3 at the bottom of the order form.

(Edit: auto URL linking would be a nice feature on the forum)
January 12, 2001 7:31:36 AM

thanks, that is good to hear, they seem to be a pretty good case manufacturer. I have never owned an addtronics case but have been watching them for a while and have been drooling over their WTX case and the 7890/6 cases but the 7890/6 cases wont fit under my desk where they have to go with the royal casters which I must have : ). I am going to wait till the next generation of P4 chips before I upgrade though.

"A masochist walked up to a sadist, and said 'Hurt me'. The sadist said 'No' and walked away."
Related resources
Anonymous
January 12, 2001 1:13:51 PM

Have you tried 'enlight'? since long time ago, they've been intel's certified casings. www.enlightcorp.com
January 12, 2001 2:10:33 PM

Yes, I use enlight now. My system spec below. Does enlight offer a P4 version, or upgrade backing plate?

Win2kPro
Enlight 7230 Case
Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
Everglide Giganta (Black)
Golden Orb H/S & Fan
Asus CUSL2
3DFX V5 5500 AGP
3DFX V3 2K PCI
ViewSonic P815 Professional Series 21 Monitor”
HP A4033A 20” Monitor
Blackout Buster 500VA
P3 700 I don’t o/c it but it will do 933 fine and post at 1GHZ.
Kodak DC280 Zoom
VideoBlaster Webcam 3
320MB SDRAM PC133 Cas2 Infineon
Epson Stylus 900
Epson Perfection 1200S
SBLive Platinum 5.1
2 Maxtor 45GB AT100 7200
Adaptec 2930 SCSI Controller
Maxtor AT100 Controller
Toshiba 8x DVD
Plextor Plexwriter External 8/20
Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400
Linksys 10/100 Ethernet Card
Linksys 10/100 Hub

Anonymous
January 14, 2001 7:16:20 AM

There is no "Pentium 4 Case." The Pentium 4 is recommended to run in an ATX, MATX, WATX, and other hybrids of the ATX specification just like all current processors are. The only thing you need to watch for is that the Pentium 4 needs an ATX 2.03 compliant power supply. All this aside, I would wait until the Pentium 4 is being processed in the 0.13 micron fab process before you buy it. It will then have it's whole intended design on it and perform better, run cooler and on less power, and be cheaper. As long as the P4 is still on the 0.18 fab process, the Athlon is the only way to go (soon Palominos will be out and running 30% cooler and on DDR RAM memory).
January 14, 2001 8:53:49 AM

Well, yes there is sort of. Apparently you need a different back plate otherwise the p4 motherboards wont fit into current cases besides a compliant powersupply. Some company's solved this by simply replacing that plate like Addtronics but those cases that dont have removable back plates will have to be redesigned. Quote from Tomshardware article P4 VS Athlon Final Recount: "Pentium 4 is still much more expensive than AMD's Athlon, it only runs with the expensive RDRAM-memory and it requires a new kind of power supply and case, thus blowing up system costs even more." As far as waiting for the 0.13 micron fab process that is what I was referring to a few posts back when I said I was going to wait for the next generation p4 chips before finally deciding to jump in. It is good advice though and seems to be the concensus among hardware enthusiasts including Tomshardware. I know Tom mentions exactly that in one of his p4 articles.

Anonymous
January 14, 2001 10:17:35 PM

Intel recommends that the backplate has some holes in it for the heatsink attachment. This isn't needed though and your motherboard will fit on a regular backplate (as long as it isn't too small). The P4 heatsink mounts to the motherboard tray through holes in the backplate. This is because some heatsinks are getting too heavy and causing damage. Many motherboards come with their own back plate for this. The mounting plate that comes with some boards is an adapter to allow the board to mount in an ATX case -- the heatsink attaches to the adapter plate. The adapter plate shouldn't be necessary in a true WTX case (WTX has the heatsink mounting holes, and is backward compatible to ATX), except that some P4 motherboards aren't compatible with the backplate of some WTX cases so you need to use the adapter backplate anyway.
January 15, 2001 2:11:36 AM

Well it is apparent that you do need a P4 Compatible Case / chassis, thus a P4 Case ;-). That is what I really meant and it would be simple to classify a P4 case as another hybrid. Perhaps a P4TX/P4ATX case, lol. Thanks for the information on heatsink mounting I didnt know exactly why all the trouble. Do you perhaps have a link with a diagram or picture showing this? I can picture it in my head but would like to see it.

January 15, 2001 9:12:12 AM

Nice to hear from you again Hobbit. I was beginning to think you were a bot with all those pasted post-LOL. But really, don't you think that other manufacturers will make their boards fit the standard ATX case? I for one would never buy an Intel motherboard knowing that someone else is soon to produce a more overclocker-friendly version! We might not see other manufacturers making boards for the current P4, because it is under such a limited production time, but I bet they are already working on them for the next-generation P4.

Suicide is painless...........
Anonymous
January 15, 2001 10:23:49 AM

No you don't need a "P4 Compatible Case / chassis," just an ATX 2.03 power supply and a P4 compatible back plate (that is if you want it) and most P4 motherboards ship with a P4 compatible back plate (and if you get one that doesn't, some case manufacturers like Antec will send you a back plate for it if you call them and order it).

Thus you need no special "P4 case." There will be no P4TX because it isn't needed.
January 16, 2001 2:03:23 AM

Good point! I never considered buying an intel motherboard. Your right of course that the other motherboard manufacturers will more than likely make their motherboards compatible with ATX cases. I thought from reading Toms final p4 Review initially that you had to have a new case, and didnt know at the time that many of the ATX current cases could be altered to accomodate P4 motherboards. I might have been that they couldnt. Tom was not very specific. All he said was that you needed a new case.

People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them.
January 16, 2001 3:57:22 AM

Anyway you put it that is still an ATX case made compatible with P4 motherboards, thus a P4 compatible case. You didnt provide a link or say you couldnt find one. I would like it if you have it.

Anonymous
January 16, 2001 4:35:53 AM

"you put it that is still an ATX case made compatible with P4 motherboards, thus a P4 compatible case"

I don't understand exactly what you are saying here, but all ATX cases are compatible with P4 motherboards. I've told you over and over, YOU DON'T NEED A P4 CASE. There is no such thing, P4's run in ATX (and other ATX hybrids) cases.

If getting a P4 you will need an ATX 2.03 power supply, and you may want a P4 compatible back plate, but you will use an ATX case (and all ATX cases will do as long as they have a 2.03 compliant PSU). If you want to call the ATX case specification "P4TX", go right ahead.
January 16, 2001 5:52:39 AM

If the ATX case doesnt have the upgraded 2.03 compliant power supply, and is missing the not necessarily unecessary back plate would you say it was therefore not compatible with the P4 motherboard? If so a case that has those specs would be a P4 compatible motherboard, right? Anyhow I will rebuke my own post because I just realized that I am so used to getting the powersupply with the chassis that I forgot that cases dont necessarily come with a power supply therefore an ATX chassis itself without the power supply would be itself already P4 motherboard compatible give or take the back plate. Still you could say it was a P4 motherboard compatible case then or a p3 motherboard compatible case. The ATX standard is a P4 motherboard compatible case, with or without the back plate as you say. However, why would Tom in his review say you needed a new case? Tom says, "Pentium 4 is still much more expensive than AMD's Athlon, it only runs with the expensive RDRAM-memory and it requires a new kind of power supply and case, thus blowing up system costs even more." LOL this is getting funny heehee

Anonymous
January 16, 2001 7:43:17 AM

The case and power supply are two different things, even though most cases come with a power supply. You could get an ATX case without a power supply (like the Lian-Li's or Coolermaster's) and the case would still work with the P4. That being said, all ATX cases work with the P4 (you just might need to put in a new power supply or backplate), again.

I'm done with your trolling so if you don't get it by now, you probably won't ever get it.
January 16, 2001 7:51:38 AM

Well, Tom was wrong when he said you need a new case, right?

January 16, 2001 8:21:09 AM

http://www.kickassgear.com/NewsArchive_Nov.htm

"Finally, the Pentium 4 requires a new type of ATX case (ATX 2.03) with a new type of power supply. The new Pentium 4 compatible power units provide more power to the CPU. But the bottom line is, you can't just go out and buy a new processor and motherboard."

http://www.esctechnologies.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/esc...

If you'd like to upgrade your Pentium III processor based system to an Intel Pentium 4 processor based system, then you'll need to change your processor, motherboard, case, power supply, and most likely memory. (See picture of case requirements at this site.)

No wonder you wouldnt show me a picture / diagram. It would have revealed that the case itself is modified / there are cases modified for use with the P4 besides a backplate solution. Which is better? Probably the modified case is. It is obvious you do need a new type of ATX case thus a P4 compatible case. You were just looking to prove me wrong in something because of my ATI posts. I hope that is not the case and apologize now if it isnt. I knew there was something wrong with what you were saying. So, finally I have found out for myself.

January 16, 2001 8:23:49 AM

If you'd like to upgrade your Pentium III processor based system to an Intel Pentium 4 processor based system, then you'll need to change your processor, motherboard, case, power supply, and most likely memory. (See picture of case requirements at this site.)

http://www.kickassgear.com/NewsArchive_Nov.htm

"Finally, the Pentium 4 requires a new type of ATX case (ATX 2.03) with a new type of power supply. The new Pentium 4 compatible power units provide more power to the CPU. But the bottom line is, you can't just go out and buy a new processor and motherboard."

January 16, 2001 8:27:44 AM

found this FYI

January 16, 2001 3:06:39 PM

I'll probably get the fastest PIII available when the need for an upgrade arises, as Intel is supposed to release faster versions on the .13 micron process. But I still think that other manufacturers will eventually provide a board for the P4 that fits the standard ATX case.

Suicide is painless...........
January 16, 2001 8:17:35 PM

I agree with that.

Anonymous
January 17, 2001 12:40:54 AM

There is no ATX 2.03 case, only ATX 2.03 power supply. Those quote are mistaking the power supply as part of the case. P4 motherboards currently fit all ATX cases.
January 17, 2001 6:00:24 AM

You said, "Those quote are mistaking the power supply as part of the case." The link I provided proves differently. Here it is again. But let me tell you where on that page this time so you can find it faster. Under the heading "Frequently Asked Questions," in the middle of the page is a subheading called "Can I upgrade my Intel Pentium III processor based system to an Intel Pentium 4 processor based system?" and under that read the second paragraph at the end of which is a link "(See picture of case requirements)."

The whole paragraph I refer to looks like this:

If you'd like to upgrade your Pentium III processor based system to an Intel Pentium 4 processor based system, then you'll need to change your processor, motherboard, case, power supply, and most likely memory. (See picture of case requirements.)

Anonymous
January 17, 2001 7:29:24 AM

"then you'll need to change your processor, motherboard, case, power supply"

There is no need to change the case, only the power supply and possibly the backplate if you wanted to. There is no new case spec for the P4, all current P4s run in an ATX case spec and they probably will be for a few years, but if you want to go searching for a P4 case spec, go ahead. I will tell the rest of the people that there is no such things so they can keep from wasting their time. There are a few cases being advertised as P4 ready, but that just means they have an ATX 2.03 power supply.
January 17, 2001 9:14:36 AM

Anyone reading this entire thread will understand... and have a good laugh.

January 17, 2001 6:13:20 PM

I don't know whether to laugh or cry in frustration at this thread:) 

So what you're saying alpha, to summarize and make sure I understand,
is that any ATX case will take ATX mobo's (duh!:) . If I wanted to stuff the P4 in my current case (with k6-233), all I'd need is a power supply that's built according to ATX 2.03
If I wanted to use a BIG-ASS heatsink that's way way too heavy, I might need a backplate for my mobo; the mobo itself will fit my current or any other ATX case, and most of them come with the backplate, and thus we can take the backplate pretty much out of equation.

So, ATX case + ATX (2.03) Powersupply mean I can be a happy P4 customer (not that I would, just got a 1.1Tbird:) 

"P4 compatible" case is then just a marketing gimmick, like a "internet ready" CPU or OS or whatever (just as Interned is a hotword, so is the P4, and they try to stick it wherever they can:) 

(PS I got that after the first post, all the others are rehashes of the same thing:) 
January 17, 2001 7:16:06 PM

Maybe you didnt read the post below I made to Alpha.

You said, "Those quotes are mistaking the power supply as part of the case." The link I provided proves differently. Here it is again. But let me tell you where on that page this time so you can find it faster. Under the heading "Frequently Asked Questions," in the middle of the page is a subheading called "Can I upgrade my Intel Pentium III processor based system to an Intel Pentium 4 processor based system?" and under that read the second paragraph at the end of which is a link "(See picture of case requirements)."

Here is the link:

The whole paragraph I refer to looks like this:

If you'd like to upgrade your Pentium III processor based system to an Intel Pentium 4 processor based system, then you'll need to change your processor, motherboard, case, power supply, and most likely memory. (See picture of case requirements.)

Anonymous
January 18, 2001 7:30:00 PM

Yep, you're right Kodiak. But...
Who would want a P4 when you can get a much cheaper Athlon that runs better on many applications. And by the time the P4 shrinks to 0.13 micron fab making the purchase worthwhile, the Clawhammer will be ready to roll out.
January 19, 2001 8:06:46 PM

thanx alpha, don't worry, I wasn't considering the P4 (I just bought the Athlon 1.1:) , its just that Hobbit's helpful posts got me confused and I wanted to recheck since you seem to be on top of it:) 

thanx again
January 19, 2001 8:17:03 PM

>> Maybe you didnt read the post below I made to Alpha.

thanx for trying to help hobbit, I actually read your post, so no need to triple post it... force of habit I guess? ;-)
Anonymous
February 4, 2001 8:38:21 AM

These guys cases almost all support P4 due to it still is a ATX form factor. As most others say you need a 2.03 compliant power supply and a case with a extra fan for cooling. Theys guys took care of it for me.
<A HREF="http:// www.colorcases.com " target="_new">http:// www.colorcases.com </A>
!