< 21.5 inch monitors with 1080p resolution?

m-mag

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Hello,

This is a very noob-ish question:

Is there any monitor below 21.5" that has maximum resolution of 1920x1080p? Because I have found out that this resolution starts with monitors of 21.5" size and more.

If there isn't, why do some laptops screens have resolution of 1080p and they are smaller than 21.5"?

If there isn't, too, and I got like, 20" LED/LCD. What if I changed the resolution of the game I play to 1080p? how bad will the monitor perform compared to a 21.5" one that has 1080p maximum resolution, for instance?

PS: I'm planning on getting HD 6850 or (I hope) HD 6870

Solution

"1080p" is usually used in describing televisions. It refers to the format that Blu-rays and similar media use. It's the highest form of "Hi def".

When a TV is 1080p ready, it has 1080 vertical pixels. That's different than the SIZE on the screen, you see? You could have 1080 pixels on a screen that is 30" tall, and 1080 pixels on a screen that is 20" tall. The difference would be how many pixels per millimeter or inch or whatever there are.

In a computer monitor you are expected to sit farther away, so the density of the pixels is not such a big deal. On a laptop, your face may be closer to the screen...

g-unit1111

Titan
Why only < 21.5" display? Lack of desk space or are you planning on running multiple monitors?

The 1080p format isn't really monitor specific, but depending on what size display you run sometimes the monitor will resize the image appropriately to match the native resolution.

"1080p" is usually used in describing televisions. It refers to the format that Blu-rays and similar media use. It's the highest form of "Hi def".

When a TV is 1080p ready, it has 1080 vertical pixels. That's different than the SIZE on the screen, you see? You could have 1080 pixels on a screen that is 30" tall, and 1080 pixels on a screen that is 20" tall. The difference would be how many pixels per millimeter or inch or whatever there are.

In a computer monitor you are expected to sit farther away, so the density of the pixels is not such a big deal. On a laptop, your face may be closer to the screen.

If you were to use a 52" (that's diagonal you know) TV as a computer monitor, and you sat 2 feet in front of it, how do you think it would look? That's right, it would look like crap because you would be zoomed in too far on those pixels.

But you could be the same distance from your 1080p laptop screen and it would be absolutely smooth, no pixels visible.

There is no practical reason to make a regular computer monitor under 21" have that many pixels, because you won't sit so close to one that you will notice. Also, the fewer total pixels your monitor has the less hard your graphics card will have to work to render the picture.

Finally, you cannot increase your game resolution past your monitor resolution. It will not work. You can reduce your game resolution, and with most modern monitors that will help performance. Older monitors didn't like to run at "non-native" resolutions so much, and might not work as well if the resolution was lowered.

Solution

m-mag

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010

Small disk sace and maybe budget issue. So, what will happen when I get a 20" monitor and set the resolution in the game at 1920x1080? How different will it be from a 21.5" (which has 1920x1080 maximum resolution)?

m-mag

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010

Thank you very much for your informative post... Does this mean that a monitor that is less than 21.5" in size won't "need" 1080p resolution as it will not be used since one would sit far from it so stuff will appear "smaller" so to speak?

Are there any monitors of 20" that has 1080p resolution? and if so, is it a good idea to get one of those? or it will be tiring because it's not comfortable for eyes to have such res in a relatively small monitor, sitting relatively far?

Also, I am going to buy HD 6850/6870, don't know yet, so I don't want to use less power of the card to operate on 1600x900, but want to see its best performance, if that makes sense.

g-unit1111

Titan

Either card will handle 1080p just fine - my 5800 series is still plugging along at 1080p.

As for monitors check this one out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254058

m-mag

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010

Thanks very much... I'll check if this is available here in Egypt-stuff are a bit expensive... "BenQ V2220 21.5 inch LED LCD" is for $170