Help to choose watercooled GTX 580 OC or GTX 580 SLI

hi guys, right now a have GTX 580 1.5 gb and i am thinking to buy another one, put them in SLI or just get a water block, 360 rad and overclock it. my resolution is only 1680 by 1050 22" monitor, in most of the games i am getting a good frames. Crysis 2 every thing max out DX 11, Hardcore i am getting from 40 to 75 FPS. what is better in my situation get second card or overclock?
thanks
14 answers Last reply
More about help choose watercooled
  1. id say go SLI. i mean 1, what does water block and effort cost vs. new card? also, its not like you can 3x,4x the speeds on your card.
    if you had a 2nd card, you can modestly OC both and kep it on air cool( just bump speeds up 50-100) it is amazing at what just a few mhz can do to frame rates, but only up to a point.
  2. The SLI question depends on your CPU horsepower. You need a lot of CPU performance to realize the benefits of a second card. The other issue is your resolution, it's unlikely you would get enough improvement at that resolution to make a second card worthwhile.

Have you tried overclocking your existing card with the current heatsink? If not, try that first.
  3. 17seconds said:
    The SLI question depends on your CPU horsepower. You need a lot of CPU performance to realize the benefits of a second card. The other issue is your resolution, it's unlikely you would get enough improvement at that resolution to make a second card worthwhile.

Have you tried overclocking your existing card with the current heatsink? If not, try that first.

i know that SLI eats CPU power, i have i7 930 4GHz. no i did not try to overclock the GPU, because i would need to run the fan at 80-85 % while gaming.
  4. my fans runs at 100% while gaming. what is wrong with running them above 85? are yours just too loud?
  5. Mrthorp said:
    my fans runs at 100% while gaming. what is wrong with running them above 85? are yours just too loud?

when i am playing not OC my fan runs at 70 % max but when you OC 100% fan speed it's not too loud but it's loud
  6. I have very loud case fans. nothing in my case is audible over them. But, i also sit next to a fan, AC unit, and TV. so fan noise is really not noticeable at any level. if only i can get a fridge in here.....
  7. Mrthorp said:
    I have very loud case fans. nothing in my case is audible over them. But, i also sit next to a fan, AC unit, and TV. so fan noise is really not noticeable at any level. if only i can get a fridge in here.....

but my rig is water cooled and the loudest thin is my GPU
  8. matvey said:
    i know that SLI eats CPU power, i have i7 930 4GHz. no i did not try to overclock the GPU, because i would need to run the fan at 80-85 % while gaming.

How about you just try to OC your GPU with the fan on Auto and see what happens?
  9. you said that it will be wast of money to buy second card for my resolution. it's better to overclock single GPU get a water block and hook it up to my existing loop?
  10. matvey said:
    you said that it will be wast of money to buy second card for my resolution. it's better to overclock single GPU get a water block and hook it up to my existing loop?

That's what I would do, but like I wrote earlier, I would at least try the OC on the existing heatsink at Auto fan. I wouldn't assume it would need to run with the fan at 85%, unless you were really pushing it.

For reference, here is a roundup of some GTX 590 water blocks:
    http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1340&page=1
  11. 17seconds said:
    That's what I would do, but like I wrote earlier, I would at least try the OC on the existing heatsink at Auto fan. I wouldn't assume it would need to run with the fan at 85%, unless you were really pushing it.

For reference, here is a roundup of some GTX 590 water blocks:
    http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1340&page=1

thank you for your help, do you know some good guide how to overclock GPU ?
  12. matvey said:
    man thank you, is Afterburner better than EVGA Precision?

I have heard good things about both. Try Afterburner first, since that's somewhat the more common standard.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Overclocking SLI Graphics