New build with an ASUS M5A99X major problems.

matrodriguez

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
This is my first post, and I thank you in advance for any help you guys can give.

I recently built a system with the following specs.
ASUS M5A99X motherboard.
16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram (1600 MHZ 4x4)
AMD Phenom x4 Quad core at 3.4 GHZ, using stock heat sink and fan.
Corsair GS700 power supply.
Evga GTX 650ti
An older Hitachi 250GB harddrive (5400 rpm)
NZXT Phantom Case

I ran into many problems and I will recap what has happened.

At first, I wasn't getting any display to the monitor and I had no clue why. I checked all my wiring, all of my hardware, and everything was running perfectly. Upon further inspection I noticed everything seemed to be sitting too low, and that the graphics card wasn't seated perfectly. What I did at this point was realize I had made a huge mistake...I forgot to install standoffs before I put the motherboard in. I then took everything apart, re installed standoffs, and booted the system.

Hooray! I was getting display on one of my monitors from my graphics card, and it was posting perfectly. The next issue was that my keyboard wasn't working, so I traveled to a local PC shop and bought a used PS/2 keyboard. The keyboard would light up, and I knew I had no problems with connectivity.

At this point I thought all of my problems had been rectified and that I would be able to set up BIOS, but I was wrong. The screen would only flash up for a tiny second saying to "Press <DEL> to enter UEFI BIOS setup". I would spam the delete key from the moment I turned the system on, until after the post beeping. It would do nothing. I could literally not get into bios at all.

Sometimes when I restarted my system it would stay stuck on the "Press <DEL> to enter UEFI BIOS setup" screen, and pressing delete would still bring up nothing.

The next part of the story is the sad part. I called ASUS and they thought the problem was strange (even though I think I did something to screw up the board), and the guy at Newegg went ahead and issued me a defective RMA return and I now have to send the board back. I received store credit and I am thinking about just getting a different board because all of the bad feelings I have associated with this board. This isn't the first time I've built a computer, so I'm really really sad I'm having so many issues.

I love ASUS :(.

Another issue I am having with my build is that I bought the Cooler Master Hyper 212 aftermarket cooler, and it's HUGE. With this store credit I want to know if it's possible to maybe upgrade my board to something big enough to fit that cooler into it. I read great reviews about the cooler and have no intention of returning it.

Once again, thank you very much for all of the help or confirmation you can give me. If it's possible to get this system to allow me to set up BIOS, I can probably cancel the RMA, I'm sure that would make everyone happier in this situation.

Mat

This is what I'm thinking about getting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

It's less expensive, and get's very solid reviews.

matrodriguez

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Just the evo I don't see a 2 on this box. M5A99x evo is my model of my Board. What do you think of my new choice on my gigabyte board.

I spoke to somebody about an RMA today. I'm getting store credit back and I could get that

TRENDING THREADS