Sign in with
Your question

So, I'm a bit behind the time..

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2011 10:55:57 PM

So basically, a few years back in school i took a lesson which taught me to create PC's and both before that & since then i have been pretty much self-taught with anything regarding PC's.

Basically, i am interested in rebuilding my PC with a new motherboard, and hopefully upgrading a few components on the way, although since its been around a year or 2 since i upgraded i am a little behind the time on the components. Therefore, i was hoping people could give me some recommendations on what i should keep and what deserves to be upgrading regarding my current specifications;

Manufacturer:
PACKARD BELL BV
Processor:
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 B55 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory:
10240MB RAM
Hard Drive:
1 TB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Monitor:
Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD 32"
Sound Card:
5.1 Hercules Surround Sound
Speakers/Headphones:
Sennheiser HD 205
Keyboard:
Logitech K120
Mouse:
Razer Diamondback 3G
Mouse Surface:
Razer eXactMat X Speed
Operating System:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Motherboard:
Asus M4a78LT-M
Computer Case:
Extra Large

I was just wondering what people think would be best to upgrade, and what is not needed to upgrade. Thanks, Tom.

More about : bit time

October 20, 2011 11:09:10 PM

Is your case a standard ATX? I know a lot of manufacturers like Dell, HP, PB, and so on cut corners by using a lot of proprietary and watered down components. The inside of my brother's old Dell (2003 - 2004 model) looks like something out of an old MC Escher painting. :lol: 

You might want to post a picture of the case so that way we can get a good idea of what we can and cannot replace.

It looks like you don't really need to replace a lot about your computer except what's inside it. You could probably get some really solid components for not a lot of money. What I'd recommend doing is upgrading your PSU (make sure to get a good one), motherboard, CPU, RAM, video card, and get a CPU cooler. Maybe upgrade the optical drive as well, you can get one for not a lot of money.
October 20, 2011 11:14:37 PM

Is that one Gb of ram there? just the extra '0' on top of 1024 makes me wonder :) 
or is it 10Gb?
the only thing I'd change there is the graphics card and get a decent branded 500w Psu, you dont mention your current brand so I'm assuming its none too shiny
but basically your chip is a 955, its a quad at 3.2GHz which is good enough for gaming on so,
minimum 4Gb ram,
6770 or 460 level graphics card
decent psu,
and your a happy gamer for a year or two yet :) 
Moto
Related resources
October 20, 2011 11:41:27 PM

In what way do you think your current pc is lacking?
What do you do with it?

It looks like a necely balanced system, except for the amount of ram.
If it is 10gb, it is probably more than you need, but that is no negative.
If it is 1gb, then you need 4-8gb.

If you are thinking about changing your motherboard, then why?
Usually, it is to accomodate a better cpu.
Your Phenom x4 is quite competent, and only a change to a sandy bridge 2500K or 2600K would be significantly better.

If your purpose is gaming, then a graphics card upgrade is in order,
The 8800GTX is a good card, and you would be disappointed if you did not jump several performance tiers, perhaps to a GTX560 or better.
For that, you need to check the +12v amps on your psu. The data plate on it will tell you what you have.

Probably the best performance upgrade will be a SSD for the OS and frequent apps. Use your 1tb drive for storage and overflow.
A SSD of at least 60gb would work, but 80gb to 120gb would be better. Exoect to pay $2 per gb for a Intel Or samsung ssd which I consider to be the most reliable today.

Have you considered getting a second monitor? It is one of the best upgrades you can make.
October 21, 2011 12:11:35 AM

pull out all your pci cards. videocard. hard drive. the rest is... HP. geting yourself a good psu, atx case (assuming the HP one is proprietary) a z68 mobo, they can be found for as cheap as 130 dollars for a good one. 2500k. ram. use your old video card or get a new one if you can afford it.

yes, i realize im pretty much just telling you to build a whole new pc. thems the breaks im afraid
October 21, 2011 12:11:43 AM

geofelt said:

Have you considered getting a second monitor? It is one of the best upgrades you can make.

I completely agree with this.
!