Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build freezing/stuttering during Games

Last response: in Components
January 21, 2012 6:17:10 AM

I just built a new computer and I've been experiencing buzzing from my speakers and my video freezes for a few seconds while I'm watching videos or gaming.

Another strange thing is that my wi-fi will also disconnect momentarily.

I just switched the GPU out with a new one and the issue is still present.

I read that it could be my power supply (650W OCZ). Do you guys have any suggestions?

Build
CPU: Intel i5 2500k
RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series
GPU: Nvidia Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 2 GB
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 Motherboard
HDD: 1 TB Seagate Barracuda
PSU: OCZ ZS Series 650W

I think I've already ruled out the GPU, so what could it be?

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2012 7:24:01 AM

The OCZ ZS series can be problematic, especially if you bought one on a good sale. Vendors often do this to get rid of questionable or bad batch products.

The most likely scenario is that either the PSU is supplying improper voltage, or "dirty" voltage meaning electrical noise. To check improper voltage, you would really need a volt meter. Dirty voltage is a bit harder to test unless you have an Oscope lying around. It would help if you had a spare PSU to throw in there even for a minute or two.

I am not very familiar with Galaxy cards, as I have seen very few mentioned. Since you changed it out, it can probably be discounted unless you exchanged one bad one for another. For future reference, EVGA, MSI and XFX are good brands of Geforce cards.
January 21, 2012 7:47:15 AM

Would improper voltage cause my computer to freeze as well? When I'm gaming my computer will eventually start having freezing fits accompanied with a stutter/buzz from my speakers. It will freeze for 1-2 seconds, be normal for 1-2 seconds, freeze again etc.

One thing that was strange for me that I haven't been able to find online is that my wireless will also stop. Whats the likelihood of it being PSU or mother board?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2012 8:32:22 AM

Bad voltage can cause all of the above. Your wireless gets it's power from the motherboard, which in turn gets it's power from the PSU.

Aside from that, given your set of components and their relative quality records, the best possible suspects would be the PSU and the graphics card. Not to say the others could not be bad, it is just less likely.

One good way to check such stuff is to Google you components name and part number followed by the word "problems" or "issues".
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
January 21, 2012 12:19:15 PM

Have you bothered to test your ram?
m
l
January 21, 2012 8:03:28 PM

I ran windows memory diagnostic and it said there wasn't an issue.
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
January 22, 2012 12:39:06 AM

jc_l said:
I ran windows memory diagnostic and it said there wasn't an issue.

I mean a real ram test.
http://www.memtest.org/
Test one stick at a time.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2012 4:16:37 AM

ram was my first guess too. lots of ram/not enough voltage ? try running less ram. do the ram test mentioned above. possible sound driver issue/onboard plus sound driver from nvidia. did you try disconnecting the speakers for a test to see if it crashed ? did you look in the control panel/sound for anything /
m
l
January 22, 2012 7:14:23 PM

I did memtest on all 4 sticks and it came back clean, but I haven't had time to run it 1 stick at a time yet.

when you say disconnecting speakers do you mean disabling it via control panel? what am i looking for in control panel/sound? everything looks normal to me.

edit: running memtest86 1 stick at a time right now. i have the speakers plugged into the motherboard, how do i make sure the nvidia and mobo sound drivers aren't conflicting?

and thank you guys for all the advice, this is my first time building a computer and i'm still learning a bunch of new things.
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
January 23, 2012 12:14:47 AM

Download and use that latest Nvidia driver version for your gpu.
Never use the included disc from vendor = outdated.
Always install gpu drivers in Admin.
m
l
January 23, 2012 12:40:49 AM

I've done all of the above and still had issues. I tried rolling back drivers too but it still persists.

The sounds coming from my speaker is like an audio stutter that loops whatever sound is coming out so it sounds like a buzz. I've found a bunch of other threads of ppl with the same issue, but none have been that helpful. (google "computer stutter and buzz"

here is a screenshot of CPUID HWmonitor:
http://i.imgur.com/zWqFf.jpg
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 27, 2012 5:37:24 AM

uninstall the nvidia drivers. reboot and reinstall. do a custom install and only install physics and graphics drivers. omit the sound drivers.

perhaps the electronics in the subwoofer or speakers is going bad. Maybe you need to do an update for the speakers ( drivers ), ?
m
l
January 27, 2012 8:36:15 AM

The buzz you hear might be some sort of interference between the PSU and mobo. I've heard of some people who have kinda fixed it by installing a sound card.

As for the freezing and stuttering, there might be something wrong with the mobo, which is something tlmck alluded to earlier. I helped someone recently who had a similar problem that went away once he replaced the mobo and PSU. Not sure if that is exactly the case here but it is something to consider.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 27, 2012 8:54:26 AM

try a wall outlet in another room.
m
l
January 27, 2012 7:14:40 PM

Seeing as you have a nice gaming rig do yourself a favor and don't play on Wi-Fi, Play on a wired ethernet connection. It's a lot faster and it will decrease your ping.
m
l
May 19, 2012 10:54:35 AM

I am HAVING THE same Issue

Setup

i7 2600
16 gig ram
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
ASUS 560GTX

before anyone says ok here we go both having issues with same card ive changed it and used ATI and issue was still there i have clean formatted , ive done mem test ive dont everything you can possibly suggest, ive even done crazy things like change my WIRELESS MODEM and thats when the problem stooped.. buttt NOWW when my brother used the microwave from start to end of him using it the problem came and worst than ever after all this ive come to conclusion that it must be the electricity?? can someone please let me know what they think..

*EDIT**

MY Power supply is 700watts cooler master Extreme power plus.. whatever that "marketing mimic" means..

MY STUTTER to be exactly 100% on is basically.. music/media/gaming stutter as in one second a song will be like YEAAHH AND THAN GJUHUGJUHGJHGG same with gaming and when sound skipps(stutters) so does the image and lately my computer will just freeze with pink lines.. when im on youtube.. and again ive done everything possibly im not Clueless i study Computer science final year and worked as a technician this problem is soo annoying and seems like no1 has an answer to it
m
l
August 7, 2012 3:53:22 PM

Could be an IRQ conflict. Despite Windows XP+'s shared IRQs, conflicts can still occur that aren't shown in Device Manager. Some BIOSes allow changing the IRQs of PCI slots but Windows XP (and probably Vista, 7, and 8 but I don't have much experience with those OSes) still puts PCI add-on cards on shared IRQs regardless. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do it about it unless you set WinXP to a non-ACPI OS where the IRQs can be set manually. Unfortunately, some things are lost in the process (like the computer automatically shutting off) and it usually means having to reinstall every device, but it's a last-ditch effort before a complete OS reinstall, hard drive reformat, or even trying new hardware.

The power supply unit (PSU) is another possible cause. Some video cards require certain amps on the +12-volt rail so check your video card and PSU specs.
m
l
August 17, 2012 2:00:38 AM

Best answer selected by jc_l.
m
l
August 17, 2012 2:01:25 AM

I think the issue was the audio drivers. I updated them and some other ones and the problem went away.

It wasn't a hardware issue for me.
m
l
!