Sign in with
Your question

What should I do with my old system?

Last response: in Systems
October 21, 2011 12:37:01 AM

Alright, so I have my old rig that I dont want or will use anymore and I dont know what to do with it! I was thinking about it being a HTPC, but that would be overkill, giving it to my dad is again overkill considering his 4-year old Optiplex never goes about 40% usage..... Giving it to my sister is pointless as she has a Touchpad and an Asus Laptop.

So, I tried to sell it for about $1100 on Craigslist, and no bites. I got some offers in the $700 range, but I paid almost $1100 for the rig so I really need to break even on it or at least make some money. Iam thinking about parting it out... What do you guys think?

Its specs:

i7-960 @ 3.2GHz
Ultra ChillTec CPU Cooler
12GB DDR3 Corsair Dominators @ 1866Mhz
EVGA X58 Classified SLI Motherboard (3-way SLI)
DUAL 1GB XFX Radeon 5870's in Crossfire
60GB OCZ Vertex 2
1TB Caviar Black
1000W OCZ PSU (Brand New, replaced the old 1050W Ultra that was it in just 3 days ago)
HAF 932 Case
DVD +/-RW (Two of them)

I mean, how much should I sell it all for? I was thinking $1100 locally or $1300 on eBay to cover costs and everything, but the other thought that came to my head was, I got a new 3D TV in my living room and I will get a 3D TV in my room soon, but I wanted a HTPC for a while now, so I figure. I should keep maybe 1 or maybe both the 5870's and sell the Rig w/ 1GB 5770 for $900. Then build a smaller RIG with like a AMD Phenom II X4 or i5-XXX and slap it together with the 5870's and have that a HTPC/Living Room Gaming PC for 3D. Any ideas? Thanks!

More about : system

a b B Homebuilt system
October 21, 2011 1:49:51 AM

I'm not surprised at the $700 offers. You have a high-end tech rig aged ~2 yrs. From my PoV as a buyer, a lot of money is invested in areas that don't interest me: 1,000W psu, 60GB SSD, thermo-electric cooler, EVGA Classified mobo. Gaming at 1920, a single 5870 is fine. The socket is old, and there's more memory than I want to buy. Finally, its all "used", probably ridden hard, and I don't know about transferring warranties.

But when I compare it to what I can get new - eg, Tom's Budget Gaming build plus a little - I realize it's more powerful, and maybe I don't care that it's less than future proof if I pay the same price for it.

You might well get $600-$700 for the rig with only one 5870 in it. I can't imagine why anyone would pay $1300 for it on ebay, but hey, you only have to sell one lol.

Maybe take one 5879 out of it and give it to dad. Take his machine and make it an HTPC with the other 5870 and maybe a new psu. Personally, I have a need for 4 machines in our household. So when I make a new rig I scavenge/discard the oldest.
m
l
October 21, 2011 2:18:16 PM

Twoboxer said:
I'm not surprised at the $700 offers. You have a high-end tech rig aged ~2 yrs. From my PoV as a buyer, a lot of money is invested in areas that don't interest me: 1,000W psu, 60GB SSD, thermo-electric cooler, EVGA Classified mobo. Gaming at 1920, a single 5870 is fine. The socket is old, and there's more memory than I want to buy. Finally, its all "used", probably ridden hard, and I don't know about transferring warranties.

But when I compare it to what I can get new - eg, Tom's Budget Gaming build plus a little - I realize it's more powerful, and maybe I don't care that it's less than future proof if I pay the same price for it.

You might well get $600-$700 for the rig with only one 5870 in it. I can't imagine why anyone would pay $1300 for it on ebay, but hey, you only have to sell one lol.

Maybe take one 5879 out of it and give it to dad. Take his machine and make it an HTPC with the other 5870 and maybe a new psu. Personally, I have a need for 4 machines in our household. So when I make a new rig I scavenge/discard the oldest.

Well my dad works from home so he has 2 computers, an i7 HP, and a Core 2 Duo Dell Optiplex, my mom has a AMD Phenom II X4 Gateway Desktop, both each have a 17" Gateway Notebook. I did get someone call about buying the PC for $1100 today so I might just let it go for $1000. When I game, my 5870's both are used about 50%. I put that 1000W PSU, since I got a good deal on it. ALl together I have about $1200 invested in this PC.
m
l
Related resources
October 21, 2011 2:25:11 PM

Yeah as another builder I have seen this problem..... Used computers even being gaming computers with top of the line components dont sell for what they are worth. Most people wont want to buy because the setup is older. No Fermi or 6 series vid card, etc. Someone once said a used gaming rig will only get 65% of its value.
I sold my old comp a year ago that had a i7-920 8gigs ram 1tb HD and a 5970 amongst other things for $500 because that was my highest offer after 2 weeks on CL.
m
l
October 21, 2011 2:44:48 PM

like multiple people have said, computer parts depreciate fast. And for me, I would not buy a used gaming computer for market price of new parts. I dont know if there are any issues with it or if thats whats even really in the computer. Selling a used gaming computer for full price is like trying to sell a used car for the original price. Take what you can get before its really worth nothing.
m
l
October 21, 2011 2:58:20 PM

Sorry, but I highly doubt you will find someone to buy it for that price. What you have to remember is that Craigslist is a virtual Garage Sale. People do not go to craigslist looking to spend close to the same amount of buying it new.

The majority of people who even view the Computers section of Craigslist are looking for older parts at little cost. I have never had any luck selling fairly new equipment on Craigslist, but all of my old/outdated equipment gets snatched up within 2 days. People like cheap old things that they can O/C the H*ll out of and not worry about cost. Also, people are extremely cautious when it comes to electronics. I know I personally would never spend that money for something on Craigslist because most people try to Scam you and sell you something that may look great, but actually have issues that you won't find until after you bought it and used it a bit.

That is an awesome rig, but if you are looking to get what you paid for, Craigslist is not the place. You would be better off selling to a friend or someone that you know. If this is not an option, then $700 is still pretty good.
m
l
October 21, 2011 3:13:19 PM

Obviously, you have a lot to learn about the market for used merchandise. If you paid $1100 for the parts 2 years ago then the same (or equivalent) parts are available for less today and they would be new, not used. The person buying them would have some recourse if they got a bad part. Would you pay $1100 for a used computer when the same $1100 would buy a current and more powerful computer and it would be new? If so I have some swamp land I'd like to talk to you about. Personally, I never pay more than 50% for anything used. And I'd never buy a used computer or part. I'd sooner buy a used pacemaker.
m
l
October 21, 2011 3:14:11 PM

Exactly what sardon said ...the person willing to give you the $1100 asking price is probably trying to scam you. IE ....have you ship it somewhere and they will send you a check. Or they will try and rob you .....This is a HUGE problem with CL.

Just be careful when dealing with transactions on CL ....also if the person just wants to meet and not see the computer working that should be another red flag.

As stated try selling it to a friend/relative or use the classified section here or other various hardware sites. CL is not a place for reputable buyers. :non: 
m
l
October 21, 2011 3:22:46 PM

prolly get better bites selling individual parts.. PM me, i'll offer to buy some parts off ya ;) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 21, 2011 3:44:29 PM

$700 for that system isn't bad. Would you pay $1100 today for that system knowing it's used and uses last years tech?
m
l
!