Sign in with
Your question

Need some input on an upgrade

Last response: in Systems
October 21, 2011 1:36:17 AM

I currently have a very basic gaming setup and wish to get some better components for a better gaming experience. The only two components I wish to upgrade are my cpu, video card and power supply if needed. I'm looking into getting a used q6600 (G0 stepping) and possibly an xfx hd6870 video card. Before asking anything, here are my specs: ep43-ud3l mobo, 2x2gb 800mhz ram, e7400 @3.2, xfx 9800gt and a 400w seasonic power supply.

1. Would I noticed a significant performance boost? 2. Should I invest money into a used cpu, given that the seller only has positive feedback? 3. Would there be any amperage issues or anything related to power using a seasonic 400w psu that has 17 amps on two rails (im going to oc the cpu too)? 4. Is there going to be any bottleneck in this system? 5. Will the graphics card be able to run at very high settings for most games at a resolution of 1680-1050 and still have playable framerates?

That's about it. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure that all my concerns are given some thought. Anyway, thank you! =)

P.S. If possible, move this thread to the appropriate section if I happen to misplace it.

More about : input upgrade

October 21, 2011 2:02:54 AM

1 Yes if you overclock that q6600to 3GHZ.
2 only other reasonable priced options are pentium dual cores (wolfdale) which is no better than yours overclocked.
3 400watts would be on the low end.
4 I think balanced
5 Yes.
October 21, 2011 2:15:39 AM

One point at a time.
ssj4vegeto50 said:
1. Would I noticed a significant performance boost?
Yes, you will. By a very long margin.

What CPU are you using now? If you're already using a decently clocked dual core one, I'll say just stay with it for now or rather than the Q6600, say get something clocked a tad higher.
ssj4vegeto50 said:
2. Should I invest money into a used cpu, given that the seller only has positive feedback?
Nothing wrong with an used CPU, but I personally never buy used products on the net. Get it only if a friend or colleague is selling his. Not to say it's definitely a no go area, but for me it most certainly is. YMMV
ssj4vegeto50 said:
3. Would there be any amperage issues or anything related to power using a seasonic 400w psu that has 17 amps on two rails (im going to oc the cpu too)?
That PSU ain't gonna run a 6870. You need to get a higher wattage PSU
ssj4vegeto50 said:
4. Is there going to be any bottleneck in this system?
No.
ssj4vegeto50 said:
5. Will the graphics card be able to run at very high settings for most games at a resolution of 1680-1050 and still have playable framerates?
Yes
Related resources
October 21, 2011 3:35:14 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I will definitely OC the cpu to 3.x ghz. As for the power supply, I will most likely go with the antec earthwatt green 650w power supply. Lastly, I think I will buy a used q6600. Thank you for clearing my concerns, much appreciated!
October 21, 2011 8:57:19 AM

How much is your budget anyway?
!