Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU Error light

Last response: in CPUs
January 21, 2012 12:29:21 PM

Hello, I'm having a problem with my new PC build.Always new I would have to sign up for this website as it has been a great help to me in the past.

System spec's first:

i5 2500k-stock cooler
Asus P8Z68-V
Kingston HyperX 8GB
Hitachi 40GB HDD
Alpine 700W PSU
Antec 300 Case

So when I power on the system the red warning light for the CPU on the motherboard turn's on straight away, and I haven't been able to figure out why this could be, none of the other warning lights turn on and I can hear the harddrive turning on, as well as the heatsink and case fan's so power does not seem to be the issue.
The board has an 8pin power connector but my PSU only has a 4Pin power connector but in the motherboard manual it say's that this should be fine.
So ye I'm preplexed right now why the system is not booting, could the i5 just be dead on arrival or could it more lilky be the motherboard itself as I bought the motherboard as used from dabs.co.uk along with the rest of the parts.

So if anybody can offer any insight or help it would greatly be appreciated or if you need any more information just let me know.

More about : cpu error light

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2012 12:55:38 PM

Apparently the core i5 needs more than 4 pins worth of power.

That is also a very low quality PSU. It could be bad out of the box. The high wattage does not matter. Bad is bad.

If you return the PSU and get something else, make sure it is at least 80 plus certified. You did not mention a video card, but if you are just using the integrated Intel graphics, then a quality 300 watt PSU is really all you need. This one is more than you need, but it is very good. http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupp...
January 21, 2012 1:04:27 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, that was my inital thought, but when I read the motherboard manual I began to think maybe the 4Pin connector would be enough.

It's just an old PSU I had and hoped I could use it with my new build instead of buying a new one as money was thight for my budget.But at this stage it look's like no, there is no other option.

Also I have a 560ti ready to go into it as well as a dvd burner and second hdd so I will need to get something a bit more then what you posted, il have a look for a higher capacity corsair PSU.

Score
Related resources
January 22, 2012 9:12:21 PM

Best answer selected by Crazyfrog23.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 10:03:11 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!