I'm having a very strange issue with getting to BIOS on this board. :sweat:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790

My build.
I5-2500k
The board above ^^^^
1tb HGST 7200rpm
antec 650psu
16gb g.skill ripjaws ram

I'm using the computer to post this on here, and i'm not noticing any issues other than not having a way to get to BIOS.
I was able to bring up the screen you use to get to BIOS before I used to the disk that came with the MOBO to update the drivers. I'm thinking maybe that's where it all went wrong. I'm not sure though. I do know I was able to get back to the BIOS once I removed the CMOS battery, however that didn't solve the issue. I tried to change a setting and when it went to reset I had the same issue. What happens when I try to go to reset the computer to get BIOS is I wait for the BEEP from the speaker and try to hit delete like the manual says but sometimes my computer ignores it, and sometimes the screen never gets back to windows, but the TV still registers a signal through the HDMI cord. I was also thinking I might need to update the BIOS. If anyone has any information on this, I would really appreciate any information! and if you need any more information on the problem I will try to explain as best as I can.

peacefulduck

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
I'll try your suggestion, but I don't understand if my keyboard I'm using this type works why would I need to switch ports? I'm using USB 2.0 front ports. I was aware of the issue with 3.0 ports needed drivers, but that's why I didn't use them.

Ok after trying the back ports nothing has changed.

peacefulduck

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
I'm not trying to be rude but did you not fully read my question? I already tried the CMOS, I think updating might be issue but I want soild answer before I do something like that. I saw around on the internet that people had some issues with updating. So please if you are just going to throw out general answers, and don't have any experience with this MOBO please don't keep responding.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Peacefulduck; be nice. We are all trying to help you.

I have the exact board. I have my keyboard plugged into the back. What keyboard do you have? Exact model if possible. I heard reports that some keyboards don't respond with this particular board without a BIOS update but in your case since you can't get into the BIOS, do you have another keyboard you can use and plug it into the motherboard (USB 2.0, not 3.0). Just throwing this out, but if you were not able to load everything from the Asus disk, the UEFI perhaps doesn't accept your case ports until all drivers are loaded. ie Marvell, Intel etc. As Alex said, plug the keyboard into the back. If you have another keyboard, try that also.

What Rev is your board? SHould see it on the MB? Also, are you able to spot the BIOS version also? I just recently updated the BIOS from 301 to 3402 (latest) to prepare it for Ivy Bridge.

peacefulduck

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
I am being nice, like I said I was not trying to be rude. I simply asked for more information other than general fixes, and before your post there was only one person replying.

My keyboard is a compaq 505130 - 371 REV.0A is all it has on the back. I can try a different keyboard, but I already have this one plugged into the back ports. Everything loaded just the drivers off the asus disk, but that's when the trouble started. Like I said before I knew about 3.0 issue and is why I avoided plugging it into it earlier and also tried plugging into the back and currently have it in the back. I don't know if I explained earlier clearly enough that when I go to boot my computer and try to get into BIOS all it does is stay on a black screen but the monitor still gets signal. Can the usb ports effect it like that? The revision on the board was 1.03.

Before I update the BIOS I want to make sure it won't the issue worse. Should try to install everything on the disc?

it may not be the mb at this time or the update. the issue may be that the mb is posting faster then the tv can turn on or refresh.
have you tried powering on the pc and smashing the del key before the beep?? if you did not change any setting in the boot screen. ie turn of the splash screen. turn on quick boot. or any other setting there they should be an asus spalsh screen and a wait time of 20 sec to let you hit del key to go into the bios. i would try a normal pc monitor and see if the same issue is there.

ram1009

Distinguished

Tapping the "setup" key once seldom works for me on any BIOS. I always tap it rapidly & repeatedly until the BIOS screen appears. I did have a similar problem with an Intel board recently and a BIOS update fixed it.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
If you can, go into Windows and make sure the <del> works. Try another keyboard. Use the other keyboard, go into BIOS <del> and see if you can check to make sure USB 2.0/3.0 is enabled.

Also, check the BIOS number on your motherboard? If you can catch it on POST; When did you buy the motherboard? I heard BIOS version 1205 and 1206 cause this. Is there a way you can check the BIOS version? If you catch it and you see 1205 or 1206; there's your problem. You can flash it back. I skipped over this because I got mine last January; my BIOS version was 301 and I recently updated it to 3402 (5//19/12).

peacefulduck

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
I have been smashing the del key, but I have actually got it to respond and go into bios by smashing del+f9+f10+f1 all at the same time, but it won't work just pressing one individual key. i have tried this only one keyboard, and I will try it on one more.
It seems every one has a different fix. I will let every one if/when I get back into BIOS LOL!

peacefulduck

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
It's alright I figured it out. It really is just the keyboard + right key combo to get into the BIOS. I only plan to change a few things, then I won't need to get back into it for a while. Thanks everyone.

cl-scott

Honorable

Since no one explained this. The front USB ports are not connected directly to the motherboard in the same way the rear USB ports are. So there can be a delay before the "secondary" USB ports are initialized, and that can be sufficient to miss the window to trigger getting into the BIOS.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Where were you Scott, when I posted BIOS Update issues in this forum? :cry:

peacefulduck

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

Thanks for explaining that! :bounce:

Gigi Verona

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

Hi peacefulduck. i have the same problem as you. can i ask to explain the way you used to enter the bios? i'm from italy and probably my english is not good enough to understand how you did it. :)
thanks

peacefulduck

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

Well I later found out that if you have a dedicated graphics card the screen that tells you to hit delete shows up. The way I figured out how to get into BIOS was smashing keys, but later found a better way. If you wait to the 1st BEEP when the computer starts, keep hitting F8 until a message pops up, from there you can enter setup, which will take you to the BIOS. Also, if you try with different keyboards it can also help.