The best graphic card I can upgrade to for my system.. HELP!

Hi experts,

So my system is now three years old and I do not realize the urge to upgrade anything until I get in touch with the Total War series...

Here is my specs:

Motherboard: Asus M2N-E SLi
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 6000+ (3.02Ghz)
Memory: Kingston DDR2 4GB RAM
Hard Drive: WD 500GB
PSU: Corsair VX 450W
Graphic Card: Asus GeForce 8600GTS

Without upgrading any other parts, what is the best graphic card now that I can purchase that will work properly and without bottlenecking the card?

I also have a friend wanting to sell me his MSI GTX465 Twin Frozr II card. What minimum upgrade do I need to get the card running? I understand the card is power hungry, so my next card in line is GTS 450. If this card fits better, I will buy this instead.

Here are more details on the PSU

Picture of the amperes:

Cables:

20+4 Pin Main x 1
8 Pin CPU x 1
4 Pin CPU x 1
4 Pin Molex x 6
4 Pin Floppy x 2
SATA x 6
6 Pin PEG (PCI Express Graphics) x 1

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH FOR THE HELP!
4 answers Last reply
More about graphic card upgrade system help
  1. anonymous1 said:
    I am glad that you understand the inportance of a good PSU when getting a new video card. I would not be using a 3 year old PSU with a new power hungry video card.
    I checked the power consumption, the GTS450 doesn't use that much more than 8600GTS. maybe 10~20W in full. Since the minimum requirement for GTS450 is 400W, while my psu got good amp at 12V and actually rated as 500W so I thought it should work.
    Just wondering if my system will bottleneck the card. Thx.
  2. Take a look at a HD5770? Extremely low power card, even more so than a GTS450, and offers much better performance.
  3. That PSU will work fine for that card. You might also look at going to W7 64 bit so that you can use that 4G of ram you have.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Graphics Cards Graphics