Which camera for a 15 year old newbie

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 13, 2005 10:42:15 PM

My wife and I want to buy at least a 3 mp digital camera for our new
15 year old daughter (we will adopt her hopefully). She will visit us
soon and she is very creative and really interested in digital
photography. She needs something small she can carry around easily
and something somewhat simple though she is a bright girl and will
figure it all out in short order. I am looking for something in the
$200-$300 range or slightly more if it will get her something special.
I have a canon S9000 printer so hopefully she will also be able to
print some of her pictures during her visit.

What would you recommend since the technology has changed so much
since I bought my last digital camera.

More about : camera year newbie

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:43:54 PM

I was in Wal-Mart the other day and was amazed at what they had in your
price range, and the cameras were very compact and most were name-brands
we've all heard of. Look for something with at least a 3x optical zoom.
Optical zoom is much sharper than digital zoom. Some cameras combine both,
so lean towards the "optical" number. For example, a camera may claim 6x
zoom, while it's a 3x optical combined with a 2x digital zoom. Another 6x
camera may be 2x optical and 3x digital.

Also, don't go too small. They are a bit hard to handle and the LCD screens
are very small. Well, for us old folks, anyway. :-)

"Jen" <smith@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My wife and I want to buy at least a 3 mp digital camera for our new
> 15 year old daughter (we will adopt her hopefully). She will visit us
> soon and she is very creative and really interested in digital
> photography. She needs something small she can carry around easily
> and something somewhat simple though she is a bright girl and will
> figure it all out in short order. I am looking for something in the
> $200-$300 range or slightly more if it will get her something special.
> I have a canon S9000 printer so hopefully she will also be able to
> print some of her pictures during her visit.
>
> What would you recommend since the technology has changed so much
> since I bought my last digital camera.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 11:24:29 PM

Check out the comparison/search at
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

I think a very light, ultra-compact would be best, for a small purse -
so compare with these selections: Ultra-compact, <$300, <150g (5.3oz)
April 13, 2005 11:41:57 PM

Jen wrote:
> My wife and I want to buy at least a 3 mp digital camera for our new
> 15 year old daughter (we will adopt her hopefully). She will visit us
> soon and she is very creative and really interested in digital
> photography. She needs something small she can carry around easily
> and something somewhat simple though she is a bright girl and will
> figure it all out in short order. I am looking for something in the
> $200-$300 range or slightly more if it will get her something special.
> I have a canon S9000 printer so hopefully she will also be able to
> print some of her pictures during her visit.
>
> What would you recommend since the technology has changed so much
> since I bought my last digital camera.

I would recommend a good P&S camera to start with. If she is already
knowledgeable, then something like the Kodak DX7590 would be great. If
she is just getting started, the DX7440 would do well. These aea bit
above the price you mentioned, but you can probably find the earlier
models (DX6440 and DX6490) within reach of those prices. Many other
companies make comparable cameras in the same price and feature
categories, but Kodak does well in the ease of use area, and support is
generally good.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

"Jen" <smith@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My wife and I want to buy at least a 3 mp digital camera for our new
> 15 year old daughter (we will adopt her hopefully). She will visit us
> soon and she is very creative and really interested in digital
> photography. She needs something small she can carry around easily
> and something somewhat simple though she is a bright girl and will
> figure it all out in short order. I am looking for something in the
> $200-$300 range or slightly more if it will get her something special.
> I have a canon S9000 printer so hopefully she will also be able to
> print some of her pictures during her visit.
>
> What would you recommend since the technology has changed so much
> since I bought my last digital camera.

Canon A95.

Good battery life, good display and Very decent image quality...also
flexibility for control of image.
AA Batteries (buy her a couple sets of NiMh batteries with a charger and
she's all set--Make sure you don't let her settle for normal Alkalines
because they do NOT work well, and cost $$).
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:22:51 AM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:42:15 -0500, Jen <smith@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My wife and I want to buy at least a 3 mp digital camera for our new
>15 year old daughter (we will adopt her hopefully). She will visit us
>soon and she is very creative and really interested in digital
>photography. She needs something small she can carry around easily
>and something somewhat simple though she is a bright girl and will
>figure it all out in short order. I am looking for something in the
>$200-$300 range or slightly more if it will get her something special.
>I have a canon S9000 printer so hopefully she will also be able to
>print some of her pictures during her visit.
>
>What would you recommend since the technology has changed so much
>since I bought my last digital camera.

Canon A85 or A95.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:21:33 AM

Jen wrote:
> My wife and I want to buy at least a 3 mp digital camera for our new
> 15 year old daughter (we will adopt her hopefully).

Canon S1 IS for its image stabilisation and moives?

David
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:07:27 PM

Canon A95 is quite a good candidate ?
You will be amazed even my 8y.o cousin can do with modern gadgets these day
:)

=bob=

"Jen" <smith@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My wife and I want to buy at least a 3 mp digital camera for our new
> 15 year old daughter (we will adopt her hopefully). She will visit us
> soon and she is very creative and really interested in digital
> photography. She needs something small she can carry around easily
> and something somewhat simple though she is a bright girl and will
> figure it all out in short order. I am looking for something in the
> $200-$300 range or slightly more if it will get her something special.
> I have a canon S9000 printer so hopefully she will also be able to
> print some of her pictures during her visit.
>
> What would you recommend since the technology has changed so much
> since I bought my last digital camera.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:07:28 PM

"[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
> Canon A95 is quite a good candidate ?
> You will be amazed even my 8y.o cousin can do with modern gadgets these
day
> :)
>
> =bob=

I just got one for my son for his 4th birthday. It's amazing, in a few
minutes he was able to operate it quite well. Works the zoom, takes
pictures, switches it to playback and show me all the pictures he took. He
grudgingly let Grandma try it out, and chatised her for getting her fingers
too close to the lens :-) He'd sleep with it if I'd let him.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:07:29 PM

Steve Gavette wrote:
>>"Jen" <smith@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>My wife and I want to buy at least a 3 mp digital camera for our new
>>>15 year old daughter (we will adopt her hopefully). She will visit us
>>>soon and she is very creative and really interested in digital
>>>photography. She needs something small she can carry around easily
>>>and something somewhat simple though she is a bright girl and will
>>>figure it all out in short order. I am looking for something in the
>>>$200-$300 range or slightly more if it will get her something special.
>>>I have a canon S9000 printer so hopefully she will also be able to
>>>print some of her pictures during her visit.
>>>
>>>What would you recommend since the technology has changed so much
>>>since I bought my last digital camera.
>>

> "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
>
>>Canon A95 is quite a good candidate ?
>>You will be amazed even my 8y.o cousin can do with modern gadgets these
>
> day
>
>>:)
>>
>>=bob=
>

> I just got one for my son for his 4th birthday. It's amazing, in a few
> minutes he was able to operate it quite well. Works the zoom, takes
> pictures, switches it to playback and show me all the pictures he took. He
> grudgingly let Grandma try it out, and chatised her for getting her fingers
> too close to the lens :-) He'd sleep with it if I'd let him.

You may have created a monster. Grin.
I usually let one of my great nieces use my camera at family
gettogethers as she can get pictures of the little kids I wouldn't be
able to manage (can't crawl under the tables, etc.) to get. It's
amazing how good the kid is at taking well composed pictures. I think
some people are just 'naturals'.

--

Steve Gavette wrote:

> I just got one for my son for his 4th birthday. It's amazing, in a few
> minutes he was able to operate it quite well. Works the zoom, takes
> pictures, switches it to playback and show me all the pictures he took. He
> grudgingly let Grandma try it out, and chatised her for getting her fingers
> too close to the lens :-) He'd sleep with it if I'd let him.

My 18 month old daughter already knows she can see pictures of herself after I
take them with my Nikon D70. She doesn't know how to take a picture yet, but
shes worked out that I press buttons. The D70 is a bit heavy for her currently.

She'll get to play with my Kodak DX6490 in 6 months max.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:07:30 PM

Ben Thomas wrote:
> Steve Gavette wrote:
>
>> I just got one for my son for his 4th birthday. It's amazing, in a few
>> minutes he was able to operate it quite well. Works the zoom, takes
>> pictures, switches it to playback and show me all the pictures he
>> took. He
>> grudgingly let Grandma try it out, and chatised her for getting her
>> fingers
>> too close to the lens :-) He'd sleep with it if I'd let him.
>>

> My 18 month old daughter already knows she can see pictures of herself
> after I take them with my Nikon D70. She doesn't know how to take a
> picture yet, but shes worked out that I press buttons. The D70 is a bit
> heavy for her currently.
>
> She'll get to play with my Kodak DX6490 in 6 months max.

You may get some pictures with interesting perspectives...

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:34:29 PM

> Ben Thomas wrote:
>> Steve Gavette wrote:
>>
>>> I just got one for my son for his 4th birthday. It's amazing, in a few
>>> minutes he was able to operate it quite well. Works the zoom, takes
>>> pictures, switches it to playback and show me all the pictures he took.
>>> He
>>> grudgingly let Grandma try it out, and chatised her for getting her
>>> fingers
>>> too close to the lens :-) He'd sleep with it if I'd let him.
>>>

>> My 18 month old daughter already knows she can see pictures of herself
>> after I take them with my Nikon D70. She doesn't know how to take a
>> picture yet, but shes worked out that I press buttons. The D70 is a bit
>> heavy for her currently.
>>
>> She'll get to play with my Kodak DX6490 in 6 months max.
>
> You may get some pictures with interesting perspectives...
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

And you may be really impressed
http://ian.jlkramer.net/images/DSC08538.JPG

Note the position of his portrait in the background.

16 months old.

Jim
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:46:28 PM

jimkramer wrote:
> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>Ben Thomas wrote:

>>>My 18 month old daughter already knows she can see pictures of herself
>>>after I take them with my Nikon D70. She doesn't know how to take a
>>>picture yet, but shes worked out that I press buttons. The D70 is a bit
>>>heavy for her currently.
>>>
>>>She'll get to play with my Kodak DX6490 in 6 months max.
>>
>>You may get some pictures with interesting perspectives...
>>

>>--
>>Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
>

> And you may be really impressed
> http://ian.jlkramer.net/images/DSC08538.JPG
>
> Note the position of his portrait in the background.
>
> 16 months old.
>
> Jim

Cute, but you gotta teach him how to hold the camera. Grin.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 7:23:54 PM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:32:16 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>"Jen" <smith@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> My wife and I want to buy at least a 3 mp digital camera for our new
>> 15 year old daughter (we will adopt her hopefully). She will visit us
>> soon and she is very creative and really interested in digital
>> photography. She needs something small she can carry around easily
>> and something somewhat simple though she is a bright girl and will
>> figure it all out in short order. I am looking for something in the
>> $200-$300 range or slightly more if it will get her something special.
>> I have a canon S9000 printer so hopefully she will also be able to
>> print some of her pictures during her visit.
>>
>> What would you recommend since the technology has changed so much
>> since I bought my last digital camera.
>
>Canon A95.
>
>Good battery life, good display and Very decent image quality...also
>flexibility for control of image.
>AA Batteries (buy her a couple sets of NiMh batteries with a charger and
>she's all set--Make sure you don't let her settle for normal Alkalines
>because they do NOT work well, and cost $$).

Mark²,
can't add much to what you said because I think you hit all of
the most important points. The swivel LCD is great too because it
helps frame shots when the camera is held down low or above people's
heads in a crowd, above a fence or etc....

My 18 year old nephew purchased an A95 primarily on my
recommendation & he is very pleased with it. With Digital cameras,
computers or any new technology device, the sooner you get children
into it, the easier it is for them to learn it. This is true about
learning a 2nd language too, start them as young as possible & they
will absorb it like a sponge.

The A95 is a great camera & I hope Canon does not covert it's
successor to SD flash memory as they seem to be doing with most of
their P&S line. Some of us like me, like the option to use the same
CF cards that we have in our DSLR's, in our P&S cameras as well.

Anytime I photography an big event, I almost always give a P&S
camera to very young person to take pictures. They love it & they
often take hundreds & I am always amazed at how well many come out. A
kid with a camera, is hard to say no to & people tend to light up
around them. The lower & often unique camera angles are often
incredible. Over the years I have never sold a digital camera but I
have given them away to family members or friends, especially children
& they love them & often get better pictures than I do.

Maybe says a lot about how bad I am or hopefully just how good
they are at seeing the world from a totally different/new respective.
Either way, it's a win-win & I love seeing their pictures.

A95 it difficult to beat for the money & it also is a feature
rich camera "if" more control is desired. Lastly, yes I too own an
A95 camera & use it for many things, primarily when I want or need to
travel light (without my DSLR gear). The "C"ustom mode is great for
pre-setting the camera focus & other settings for quick candid shots,
no focus delays or possibility of error.

Respectfully, DHB
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
April 14, 2005 8:06:11 PM

"Jen" <smith@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My wife and I want to buy at least a 3 mp digital camera for our new
> 15 year old daughter (we will adopt her hopefully). She will visit us
> soon and she is very creative and really interested in digital
> photography. She needs something small she can carry around easily
> and something somewhat simple though she is a bright girl and will
> figure it all out in short order. I am looking for something in the
> $200-$300 range or slightly more if it will get her something special.
> I have a canon S9000 printer so hopefully she will also be able to
> print some of her pictures during her visit.
>
> What would you recommend since the technology has changed so much
> since I bought my last digital camera.

B-T-W, Good luck to you and your wife on the adoption!

Wow, if your only criteria is a take-anywhere, minimum 3 mp camera and
around $300, there's so many to choose from. I can see why you might ask for
some help in getting started.

Can you narrow your criteria a bit? A good site to try to do so is
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php . How useful you'll find it
depends on how current the site owner keeps it with price comparisons,
though.

From there you can plug in your preference for price, battery type, storage
method, LCD size, etc. and come up with a list to start from.

Is she going to want to print 13 x 19 prints on your wide-format printer? If
so, a 3 mp camera won't cut it.

What do you consider 'small' for a camera? How would she want to carry it
around? A lot of people like to carry extra batteries and memory with them.
Most women are not going to just drop the camera and accessories into a
purse with all their other junk. (It's not like having the dedicated shirt
pocket that men have.) Good Grief -- it could get lost in there forever!
Actually, I don't like the idea of a camera getting beaten up, unprotected,
while rummaging around for something. So even if you're looking at compact
cameras, by the time you add a padded camera case with room for accessories,
it's too big to fit in most regular-sized purses. A 'small' camera might
have to be carried around in a case by the wrist strap, or put into a larger
handbag or tote for security. Actually, that's typical for the women I know
who use digicams.

Will she be taking a lot of her shots indoors under low-light conditions? If
so, an AF illuminator would be helpful. Mine doesn't have one but most of my
picture taking is outdoors, or indoors under normal light conditions. I had
trouble with the auto-focus the few times I've tried to take pictures in a
candle-lit or Christmas tree-lit room. I can use my manual focus in those
rare cases, or a laser pointer. And auto-focus bracketing is another helpful
option I have, too. But if you're looking for simplicity under these
conditions, this might not do for her.

As far as being simple for newbies, all of them have automatic modes for
point-and-shoot picture taking. If you're interested in those with specific
features or manual controls she can grow into, plug in that criteria on the
dcresource page. Then you can compare the ease of use for those additional
options between cameras.

Sorry if I made this sound so confusing. But there's still some
considerations and preferences you haven't mentioned.

It's funny, when I plug my important criteria into dcresource I come up only
one model -- with the exact same camera I purchased a year ago. LOL My, how
times haven't changed!

Renee
!