8-Pin PCI & EPS confusion!

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Hello!

I recently ordered several custom single-braided cables from a website. Two of the cables are a bit hard to tell apart.

I simply wish to know, how can I tell the difference between an 8-Pin PCI and an 8-Pin EPS cable?

Solution
I don't think from a voltage point of view, there's a difference. Generally unless they are labelled (usually etched onto the cable in white) the 8pin EPS would be a 4+4pin, and the 8pin PCI-e would be 6+2pin, other than that I believe they are fundamentally the same.

----

Edit: Found this: http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/967183-8pin-eps-used-8pin-pcie-extension.html

It looks like the bottom right hand pin (in the pictures on that link) are slightly different, one has a square plastic coating and the other has the little pentagon type shape.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
I don't think from a voltage point of view, there's a difference. Generally unless they are labelled (usually etched onto the cable in white) the 8pin EPS would be a 4+4pin, and the 8pin PCI-e would be 6+2pin, other than that I believe they are fundamentally the same.

----

Edit: Found this: http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/967183-8pin-eps-used-8pin-pcie-extension.html

It looks like the bottom right hand pin (in the pictures on that link) are slightly different, one has a square plastic coating and the other has the little pentagon type shape.

Solution

RS82

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Besides that the + and - are changed, so if you could squeeze it in, you would shorcircuit your board.
That seems unprobable, becuase it isnt gonna fit, but there are some boards that need 2 8 pin eps, and there are not many psu s that have those, so what some times happens is that people have the 8 pin eps as an 2x4 pin, they stick one in the one 8 pin connection and 1 in the other 8 pin.
really this can work for testing, but if you put the 4 pins the wrong way around, wich is actually possible, your board is fried if it doesnt have a safety meganism.
same can happen people trying to put a 6 pin pci-e in a 8 pin eps.

its an old tread, but i thought lets share it, because i got a case like this last week.