Sign in with
Your question

Random restarts w/o bluescreen or anything

Last response: in Components
January 21, 2012 3:23:07 PM

So yeah, this is what happened to be exactly:

Shiny new pc, just got it yesterday. 16 gb ram, i5 2500k, xfx 6950 2gb, 1 tb, sabertooth p67 motherboard, coolermaster haf 932 rib, corsair 750w psu.

Performed a update from windows update. Pc restarts but fan on cpu doesent spin, a message on the black screen says "Error cpu fan". So I unplug the power cable from the cpu fan and plug it back in, this time it worked.

I get into windows and all that, plays rage and modern warfare 3, no problems at all.

Then again, new updates, pc restarts but goes black before windows 7 welcome screen and restarts again.

After this nothing more has happened so far.

Im just wondering whats going on? And I want to be sure that there is no problem in my comp, because if it is, I want to avoid further complications..

Anyone help?
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2012 3:41:36 PM

Did you buy this or build it? If you bought it, don't mess with it. Take it back to the place where you got it and let them deal with it lest you void your warranty.
January 21, 2012 3:45:33 PM

I built it
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2012 3:55:53 PM

As far as the CPU fan error goes, you should be able to go into the BIOS and disable that. I have had plenty of motherboards that will not spin up a fan until the temp reaches a certain level. In the BIOS you will have the option of disabling the error message, or disabling fan control, or both.

As for the restarts, it sounds like a memory error. You can check this using the Windows memory test. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Diagnosing-...
January 21, 2012 4:45:27 PM

Yeah but even if I disable the error thing, will the fan start without problems then?

The only thing ive done with the memory is switching from 1333mhz to 1600mhz which is the speed those corsair vengeance sticks can run...

Maybe this caused the restart?

a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2012 6:24:16 PM

The fans will still run, but your BIOS will not be controlling them. they will just run full out.

Could be the 1600 thing, but if you did not reset them in the BIOS, they are likely running at 1333 which is the default for that processor and chipset. It could be the Corsairs do not like to run at 1333. I have never used the Vengeance series, so i do not know for sure.

Another thing to look at is the voltage on the ram. the BIOS should automatically detect it at 1.5v, but you never know. You can run CPUZ to look at stuff like this in Windows instead of having to reboot and go into BIOS. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

I am also assuming this issue did not start until the new ram?
January 21, 2012 7:28:16 PM

Nono! Its the same ram. But they runned at 1300 mhz so i switched manually to 1600mhz in bios. Its corsairs vengeance 4 x 4gb 1600 each. Alright. I will test this when i get home
January 22, 2012 5:57:53 AM

tlmck said:
The fans will still run, but your BIOS will not be controlling them. they will just run full out.

Could be the 1600 thing, but if you did not reset them in the BIOS, they are likely running at 1333 which is the default for that processor and chipset. It could be the Corsairs do not like to run at 1333. I have never used the Vengeance series, so i do not know for sure.

Another thing to look at is the voltage on the ram. the BIOS should automatically detect it at 1.5v, but you never know. You can run CPUZ to look at stuff like this in Windows instead of having to reboot and go into BIOS. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

I am also assuming this issue did not start until the new ram?

Looks like I fixed it now.
I visited the stores webpage and some dude wrote that you need to manually switch to "xmp profile" in bios.

I went into bios and changed it, and it said "xmp profile 1,5V" or something. So I guess the memory got their voltages they need now. Windows memory check says its 0 problems with the memory so I really hope it was a one time coincidence.
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2012 6:20:53 AM

This is one thing I like about AMD rigs over Intel. In an AMD rig, you can throw just about any hodgepodge of memory in the thing and it will work. But Intel chip sets have to be so darned picky.

Just for grins, you should turn fan control back on and see if it cleared that problem.
January 22, 2012 3:25:21 PM

When I got home now, comp were off...I didnt turn it off by myself. Looks like I still got some problems.

When I pressed the power on button it didnt react, so I pressed it again and comp started. After some sec it went black again..

I opened up the rib and unplugged the cable between the power on button and the motherboard..I doesent think it got anything to do with the hardware, because when I turned the comp on now (before I wrote this), it said something about fatal error, and it also said "update firmware" or something...

What does this mean?
a c 1167 ) Power supply
January 22, 2012 4:02:37 PM

Are you using an SSD?
January 22, 2012 4:48:21 PM

No im not :( 

Did some search, and alot of ppl got booting problems with sabertooth P67...

Basically ive been searching for an answer for hours now but havent figured out how to fix it 100%.

Also flashed bios to newest update but same *** happened again. Doesent look like its a hardware error since alot of people with sabertooth p67 have been complaining..

*waiting for proper answer here*
!