Sign in with
Your question

MB+CPU for gameserver

Last response: in Components
January 21, 2012 4:01:06 PM

Hi,

3 months ago I bought a server for some minor projects of mine, like a minecraft-server for my friends.
This is the hardware I used:
AMD ATHLON II X4 645
Asus M4A78LT-M
4GB Kingston ECC-NonRegistered-DDR3-RAM
60GB OCZ Vertex 2 (for system)
2x2TB Seagate momentus (for data, mirrored)

Never had any performance-issues, temperature never got higher than 60°C, so everything seemed good and it cost me less than 500€.
After 1,5 months the server started freezing without warnings from the system and now, 3 months after, motherboard and cpu are dead.
I got the feelings that those were not made for a 24/7-server-setting, so I'm considering to invest in server-components.
After a first look on the internet my impression was that I would have to invest around 400€ for those two to have similiar power like this:

AMD Opteron 4234 (6x 2.7 Ghz) (130€)
ASUS KCMA-D8 (250€)
16GB Kingston ECC-Registered-RAM (already got those from a friend)

Do you think with those components my system would be more stable? Or do you have other recommandations? (Powerconsumption is no point of interest)

More about : cpu gameserver

January 21, 2012 4:45:57 PM

There's no reason a system should fail after three months. I run my PC almost 24/7 even though it's not a server and it's been running since 2008. There's something wrong - you should figure out what it is before buying anything. You may even be entitled to a refund.
January 21, 2012 4:51:28 PM

First off, I am sorry that your server burned up.

Secondly, did you test your power supply?

As for your server solution, you may wish to consider a pre-owned (rackmount) server. For 100 euros, you could get, for example, a rackmount system with a dual-core Xeon, 4GB RAM, & a hard drive...all ready to go. Such a system would be more than powerful enough for the average home hobbyist. You can sell your 16GB of RAM, if of different type. Unused RAM is wasted RAM!

Hope this helps,

Jaime
Related resources
January 21, 2012 5:50:37 PM

thanks for the hints.
@FinneousPJ: I think it's a difference having a pc or a server, e.g. on my server I get about 100 SSH-login-tries only because it got its own ip.
@JuniperSprouts: thanks a lot, this never came to my mind, never bought used hardware.

I found this for 300€:
IBM X3850 including:
4x Xeon MP HT 3.66 Ghz
16GB RAM

Do you think this would perform similiar to my current setting?
Also there is one problem, the built-in RAID-controller only supports SAS, not SATA but it says it has some free PCI-X so I think it should be possible to insert a SATA-Controller there or is this not a good idea?
January 21, 2012 6:52:49 PM

Schakal_No1 said:

@JuniperSprouts: thanks a lot, this never came to my mind, never bought used hardware.

I found this for 300€:
IBM X3850 including:
4x Xeon MP HT 3.66 Ghz
16GB RAM

Do you think this would perform similiar to my current setting?
Also there is one problem, the built-in RAID-controller only supports SAS, not SATA but it says it has some free PCI-X so I think it should be possible to insert a SATA-Controller there or is this not a good idea?

I am not familiar with that model. It sounds plenty powerful. What model are the CPU's?

SATA controllers are an option. Do not forget that PCI-X is not the same as PCI-Express.
January 21, 2012 7:08:49 PM

thats the data of the processors:
Intel Xeon MP HT "Cranford"
FSB 667 MHz
3,66 GHz + 3,66 GHz Hyperthreading
16 KB L1-Cache each core
1.024 KB L2-Cache total
Single Core (SC)
Sockel 604
Incl. Cooler
There's also a version with 2 instead of 4 processors of this type and 4gb of ram for 85€. The point i am worried about are the small cache and FSB compared to modern processors.
January 22, 2012 7:39:45 PM

To be completely honest, I have near-zero experience with gameservers. I can not imagine that 2 Xeon processors would not be up to the task. I will defer to someone with Xeon & gameserver experience.
!