Sign in with
Your question

Cpu NEED HELP!!!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Windows 7
Last response: in CPUs
January 21, 2012 4:09:04 PM

Hello, I have a dell inspiron that has the t4300 cpu . I upgraded from windows 7 premiem to windows 7 professional my OS is 64 bit. It cost about a hundred dollars for the upgrade and didn't solve my problem. The only reason i did this is to obtain XP mode so i could run old software that uses a 16 bit installer for a 32 bit os. the problem is my t4300 cpu doesn't support hardware assited virtualization. which processor can i buy to let me use XP mode. Also, would it void my windows 7 if i did this?

More about : cpu

a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
January 21, 2012 4:42:23 PM

What model inspiron? - be complete.
Since you have an OEM version of windows, you will likely have to convince MS to reactivate it after changing the cpu.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
January 21, 2012 4:50:03 PM

No, you can upgrade pretty much anything other than the motherboard and not have to reactivate Windows 7, although you should check that your motherboard will support an adequate processor before ordering anything.
m
l
Related resources
January 21, 2012 5:15:49 PM

abekl said:
What model inspiron? - be complete.
Since you have an OEM version of windows, you will likely have to convince MS to reactivate it after changing the cpu.

it is a 1545 DELL inspiron t4300 <---non hardware assisting virtualization cpu. I would like to replace this cpu for one i can use to run xp mode on. (you know one that does support hardware assisted virtualization.) any ideas on one to replace it with? any other complications if i did change it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
January 21, 2012 5:19:51 PM

Oh, it's a laptop. You're pretty much stuck with what you have. Laptops are not meant to be upgraded, except for ram. Sorry.
m
l
a c 238 à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
January 21, 2012 5:35:00 PM

I believe that is the only processor that your laptop supports. Also unless you are familiar with upgrading laptops it will cost you quite a bit to get someone to do a CPU swap.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
January 21, 2012 5:35:51 PM

just install virtualbox

its free and you dont need virtualisation hardware support

(it cant hurt to try it as its free)
m
l
January 23, 2012 4:51:02 AM

shanky887614 said:
just install virtualbox

its free and you dont need virtualisation hardware support

(it cant hurt to try it as its free)

i am a noob..does this mean i will need a licenced copy of xp? or is the thing i downloaded from microsoft called "XP MODE" the operating system? I dont understand. any help is appreciated. i did download the virtual box. I couldn't figure it out due to my limited experience.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2012 11:48:16 AM

dwcoffee said:
i am a noob..does this mean i will need a licenced copy of xp?

Yes, for virtualbox or VMWare you need a licensed copy. None needed for XP Mode though.
m
l
!