Closed Solved

New computer build, with old hard drive

So I'm building a new computer, but I also have to buy a copy of windows 7 because I don't have a disc ( this computer atm is just a dell pre built ) or key. So on the new build I'm also going to go ahead and get a new hard drive. Now I want to be able to use all the stuff I have on the hard drive, but how? Do I just plug it into the new mobo along with the old hard drive and continue with installing the new windows or what? Thanks for any help.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer build hard drive
  1. It might or might not work. Try setting SATA to IDE in BIOS.
  2. alexoiu said:
    It might or might not work. Try setting SATA to IDE in BIOS.



    So, when I boot it up, it'll go into the BIOS and I just set it there right.
  3. Best answer
    Yes, connect the HDD, switch the power supply on, start the board and press DEL for entering BIOS. If SATA is set to IDE, leave it as it is, go to Boot menu and set the HDD as the 1st boot device, save settings, restart and see if the system will boot from the HDD.
    If SATA is set to AHCI, switch it to IDE.
  4. alexoiu said:
    Yes, connect the HDD, switch the power supply on, start the board and press DEL for entering BIOS. If SATA is set to IDE, leave it as it is, go to Boot menu and set the HDD as the 1st boot device, save settings, restart and see if the system will boot from the HDD.
    If SATA is set to AHCI, switch it to IDE.



    Ok, thanks a lot. Also, what do I do with the windows already on the old HDD?
  5. If booting from the old Windows, update the drivers for the new components and uninsall those that don't match the new configuration.
  6. alexoiu said:
    If booting from the old Windows, update the drivers for the new components and uninsall those that don't match the new configuration.



    Wait, so I don't have to buy a new windows at all? I can just use the one from my old hard drive even though I have no disc or key or anything for it?
  7. It depends. What version, if OEM a.s.o. Just try booting from it and see what happens. All my posts referred to the HDD with the old Windows.
  8. alexoiu said:
    It depends. What version, if OEM a.s.o. Just try booting from it and see what happens. All my posts referred to the HDD with the old Windows.



    The one on the old hard drive is OEM, and I'm pretty sure I have to get a new version of OEM because of the new mobo. I also don't have all the new parts because I'm about to order it so, I guess it would just be safe to get another copy of Windows.
  9. IF OEM, yes, you'll need a new version.
  10. Ok, thanks a lot buddy. Helped me a lot.
  11. Best answer selected by frickinamazin.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Computer Hard Drives