New computer build, with old hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

frickinamazin

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
So I'm building a new computer, but I also have to buy a copy of windows 7 because I don't have a disc ( this computer atm is just a dell pre built ) or key. So on the new build I'm also going to go ahead and get a new hard drive. Now I want to be able to use all the stuff I have on the hard drive, but how? Do I just plug it into the new mobo along with the old hard drive and continue with installing the new windows or what? Thanks for any help.

Solution
Yes, connect the HDD, switch the power supply on, start the board and press DEL for entering BIOS. If SATA is set to IDE, leave it as it is, go to Boot menu and set the HDD as the 1st boot device, save settings, restart and see if the system will boot from the HDD.
If SATA is set to AHCI, switch it to IDE.
Yes, connect the HDD, switch the power supply on, start the board and press DEL for entering BIOS. If SATA is set to IDE, leave it as it is, go to Boot menu and set the HDD as the 1st boot device, save settings, restart and see if the system will boot from the HDD.
If SATA is set to AHCI, switch it to IDE.

Solution

frickinamazin

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

Ok, thanks a lot. Also, what do I do with the windows already on the old HDD?

frickinamazin

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

Wait, so I don't have to buy a new windows at all? I can just use the one from my old hard drive even though I have no disc or key or anything for it?

frickinamazin

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

The one on the old hard drive is OEM, and I'm pretty sure I have to get a new version of OEM because of the new mobo. I also don't have all the new parts because I'm about to order it so, I guess it would just be safe to get another copy of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.