Sign in with
Your question

Hardware questions

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Hardware
Last response: in CPUs
January 21, 2012 4:49:06 PM

Hello everyone. I'm fairly new with Computers and I want to buy all my parts so a friend can build it for me.

I just have some questions i'd like to ask before i buy anything, hopefully you guys can give me some answers:

1. What is the point in having 2 video cards?
2. What does an intercooler do? Is it the same thing as having a cooling case? and is it worth it to buy any of these?
3. What is a good amount of fans to have in a computer to make sure everything stays smooth?

More about : hardware questions

a b à CPUs
January 21, 2012 5:10:46 PM

spanKie10 said:
Hello everyone. I'm fairly new with Computers and I want to buy all my parts so a friend can build it for me.

I just have some questions i'd like to ask before i buy anything, hopefully you guys can give me some answers:

1. What is the point in having 2 video cards?
2. What does an intercooler do? Is it the same thing as having a cooling case? and is it worth it to buy any of these?
3. What is a good amount of fans to have in a computer to make sure everything stays smooth?

1. two is more powerful than one
2. an intercooler is something that comes after the turbocharger and before the intake to cool the air before it enters an engine - I have never heard this term being used with PCs
3. two fans in the case (intake and exhaust) will usually suffice
m
l
January 21, 2012 10:14:17 PM

having two graphics cards allows for multiple monitors OR if linked in crossfire or SLI, up to double the power. (if a more powerful graphics cards costs too much, with sli or xfire, u can buy second later) just make sure the mobo supports it
m
l
Related resources
September 8, 2013 7:57:38 AM

2 video cards lke SLI(nvidia) and crossfire(ati/amd) allows u to use multiple monitors but likely to use more energy which leads u to buy a higher Watage of PSU.and certainly almost alows u to use 2 times d single GPU....if u have a good PSU. fron and back fan would do a good deal but if you would b able to use ur cabinet to its fullest without power prob, it will even do better... EXTRA: if ur proccessor is overheating buy Cooler master hyper 212evo...just in cse. :) 
m
l
April 2, 2014 3:52:05 PM

Hello

If you are new to computers i suggest you always do research on what you want, then look at the parts, if this build is going to be for heavy gaming then you will need a powerful graphics card, (When I was new I thought the same as you, "oh two must be faster than one!")in terms of graphics cards they are both using the same bus to enter the cpu to give their outputs to, 2 GPU (graphics processing units) are faster but are only needed if you are looking to run either alot of monitors or extreme graphics processing, I have a GTX 680 and I can run every game on the market on its highest specifications.

so you dont need to worry to much about getting the "latest and greatest" out there, save your money as each generation if you look closely will only be around 20%-30% than the previous ones and in some games that makes the difference of around 3 FPS (frames per second 30+ playable 60+ is console and higher is really good), look at the website below:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

also a tip you wana play games fast load fast get an ssd if you are concerned about loading speeds as they will make a 110% difference on the speed of your system relative to your CPU.

so in all
for gaming look youtube uploads of benchmarks of GPUs you can afford and see for yourself.

for the intercooler, just stay away from it, get a closed look CPU water cooling system to keep it simple or even better a really good fan will do the job =]

And for fans in your case my friend well, that depends again on how cool you want it ? 2 is the industry basic and it does the job fine =] just clean your pc and youll have no problems.

A computer is a tool, its all about what you want to use it for =]

hope this helped you,

m
l
!