Solved

Can I get my Q8200 running in 680i LT Motherboard?

I recently upgraded from a Pentium D 3ghz to a core 2 quad Q8200. After installing the Q8200 and turning the PC on, nothing comes up on my monitor, but all the fans and lights are on. There are no beep codes, either. Here are my specs:

Windows 7 64-bit
Intel core 2 quad Q8200
nForce 680i LT SLi Motherboard
Geforce GTS 450
Wintec Ampx PC6400 Memory - DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel (2x2048MB)
1GB Crucial DDR2 667MHz
1GB DD2 RAM
Ultra 400 Watt ATX Power Supply

I realize that there has been some inconsistency as to whether or not the Q8200 works on this motherboard. Unfortunately, I only found this out after I bought the processor.

I have already tried:

Re-installing the CPU
Removing all unnecessary hardware to check for incompatibility
Clearing the bios by switching the CMOS jumper

It has occurred to me that maybe I need to update my bios, but I read somewhere that this is a risky process.
My bios version is pheonix award 6.00PG.

Any help would be much appreciated.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about q8200 running 680i motherboard
  1. nForce 680i LT SLI is a chipset. We need to know which motherboard you have. Flashing the BIOS isn't that risky if you're careful and you don't do it through a Windows utility.
  2. updateing the Bios is not risky at all as long as you dont lose power. I also am of the exact oposite mind as Ghi. You should do the flash in Windows it is quick easy and after a reboot all done. A model would be helpfull we can tell you if it is supported before you even do the bios update.

Thent
  3. I ran into issues flashing the BIOS with only one motherboard and that's because the Windows utility failed. I did it a few times before without problems, but if there's another way to flash it (most motherboards allow doing it directly from the BIOS), then I'll use it.
  4. Well, when I start my computer I see an option "AwdFlash", Probably award flash,
    so I could probably do it by burning a CD and choosing that option...right?
  5. You could register at http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support.aspx and check what BIOS version is required to support the Q8200.
  6. Best answer
    FireFly75 said:
    Well, when I start my computer I see an option "AwdFlash", Probably award flash,
    so I could probably do it by burning a CD and choosing that option...right?
    You can probably do it from a USB key. That info should be in the manual.
  7. Alright, I think I'll try that. Thanks a lot.
  8. Best answer selected by FireFly75.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking