New PC - i5 2500k

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Graphics Cards
  • Intel i5
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 21, 2011 10:52:25 AM

I was looking to upgrade my age old single core PC. I would like my new PC to last like 5 - 10 years :D  (old one came close)
I decided to get the i5 2500k & either

1. P8P67 PRO (requires a graphic card).

2. P8Z68 V Pro (has on board graphics & dont need one. From what I understand, I can directly connect the display devices). Additional to p67, has on board graphics, SSD catching, Quick Sync - high video editing performance & even higher when combined with a graphics card.

I am not sure which is a better choice & future proof. I am not a hard core gamer like most who visit this forum, more like a rare to occasional gamer. Non heavy usage, movies, music, & stuff. I might network and have a second display device in a different room, so maybe two people using the same PC can watch HiDef movies or even game a bit, if possible. Also, someone at home could always get interested in video editing (home videos) - not as of today though. I am a developer, and could use it from time to time for programming.
So what should I go for? I dont wanna upgrade every couple of years or so. Is this overkill for me or considering future proof does it seem sane :) 

I am leaning towards Z68 *without* a graphics card. If graphics is required I could always add it in time (Which I presume wont be anytime soon).
Note: A dealer I went to at home mentioned that Z68 needs a graphics card. If I see the Asus Z68 Mobo, It has all it needs to work without an external card, or have I missed something here.

More about : 2500k

October 21, 2011 10:55:38 AM

You could get an AMD Phenom II x4 build. You already said that you are not a heavy gamer and your usage is more like an HTPC.

You might even get away with it with a AMD Llano build. An i5-2500k is mostly bought by enthusiasts, hardcore gamers and those with a big budget.

You don't need an i5 to video edit especially home movies. I've been doing it with my dual core for a long time.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2011 10:56:29 AM

Currently the best value for money is:

ASRock Extreme4 GEN3 Z68
or
ASRock Extreme3 GEN3 Z68

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/pcie3/models.asp

If the build requirements is HTPC, and not gaming, as suggested above, look much much cheaper and go for a simple AMD build.

Some cheap Green HDD's, 2-4GB RAM, simple Dual/Quad core CPU, Graphics card would unlikely be required.
m
l
Related resources
October 21, 2011 10:59:26 AM

cutebeans said:
You could get an AMD Phenom II x4 build. You already said that you are not a heavy gamer and your usage is more like an HTPC.

You might even get away with it with a AMD Llano build. An i5-2500k is mostly bought by enthusiasts, hardcore gamers and those with a big budget.

You don't need an i5 to video edit especially home movies. I've been doing it with my dual core for a long time.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Would you still recommend this, If I dont want to upgrade for like 8-10 years? I know lots can change by then.

ASRock is not very popular in my country. So will go with ASUS or Gigabyte.
m
l
October 21, 2011 11:01:57 AM

shaqblogs2011 said:
Would you still recommend this, If I dont want to upgrade for like 8-10 years? I know lots can change by then

I would. Your usage really doesn't need i5-2500k. A good $500 dollar Llano build will easily help you with your needs.

Asrock is the sister company of ASUS.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2011 11:02:32 AM

shaqblogs2011 said:
Would you still recommend this, If I dont want to upgrade for like 8-10 years? I know lots can change by then

i5-2500k is going to be your best option for this kind of life-span. Its currently the best value for money vs performance CPU available and there's no reason at all NOT to buy one. Buying a Z68 motherboard also leaves open the option to over-clock if you feel you need a little more juice after the first 4-5 years.

Asrock is the sister company of ASUS. +1 - Both very good quality manufacturers. I personally have a P8Z68-v PRO and a friend of mine just built with the ASRock Extreme4. Build quality of both boards was equally impressive. Both packed with the same features, very nice to build on and the Extreme4 especially had really nice spacing between components (CPU and RAM slots specifically).
October 21, 2011 11:05:52 AM

either the Phenom IIx4 is good, or like stated before, a Llano at $140 for a 2.9GHz quad core is great. Integrated graphics on this chip is a Radeon 6530. Plenty of juice for what you need to do. Big thing, is that you dont need a huge psu, you could get away with the one you currently have, or a cheap Seasonic 350W for $36. Motherboard i recommend for this is an Asrock/Asus, as they run great with AMD chips, but even a cheaper Biostar would do the job i think for what you need to do. What is your budget and could you give me a webpage i could maybe put a recommended shopping list together for you?
m
l
October 21, 2011 11:07:00 AM

AdrianPerry said:
i5-2500k is going to be your best option for this kind of life-span. Its currently the best value for money vs performance CPU available and there's no reason at all NOT to buy one. Buying a Z68 motherboard also leaves open the option to over-clock if you feel you need a little more juice after the first 4-5 years.

Asrock is the sister company of ASUS. +1 - Both very good quality manufacturers.

Actually, I have to disagree with the i5 being the best CPU for money vs performance. The Llano would be the best for money vs performance since it already has a great built in GPU.
m
l
October 21, 2011 11:12:15 AM

^ +1 cutebeans!!!

Even for the 2.6GHz priced at $120, you cant find a quad-core/6xxxgpu combo for that price! the 2.9GHz at $140 is imo the better chip for what you need, however, and still allows for a slight OC to that very nice 3.2GHz-3.5GHz depending on how much you spend on your board and if you get an aftermarket heatsink/fan and good TIM. Overall, since you dont game, the 6530 is overkill, unless like you said you watch movies. I believe between the money saved on a cpu/gpu combo, and a lower power supply, since this chip with integrated graphics runs basically the same wattage as an i5, you could easily spend it on one hell of a Blu-Ray player, and really get that extra out of this machine. If you are a movie buff, this is where it's at!
m
l
October 21, 2011 11:17:00 AM

I would suggest getting a 500w power supply though, so that when newer games are getting difficult to play. You have the option of getting a good video card. :) 
m
l
October 21, 2011 11:32:04 AM

true. you can get a decent 500W psu for around $70-$80.
m
l
October 21, 2011 11:36:50 AM

It's actually only $60 in newegg. Although, prices are different in other countries.
m
l
October 21, 2011 12:24:58 PM

Thanks for all the wonderful replies.

casualbuilder said:
What is your budget and could you give me a webpage i could maybe put a recommended shopping list together for you?

That would be of great help. Not sure what you mean by give you a webpage link :) . Maybe you could reply here itself, and Pls dont trouble yourself with links as
I live in a different country so prices cant be compared directly to the $$. I will be buying from a local shop over here. To give an idea, I can go as high as what i5 2500k + P8Z68 V Pro would cost (Budget for CPU, Mobo & graphics). Also, its not that we dont play games. Once we set up the current rig & monitor, things could change, as its a whole world of difference from a single core 19" LCD to a HiEnd PC with a 50" Panasonic Plasma. :D 

I will build up two configurations, one like you suggested AMD based & one Intel i5/Z68 based. I will check the prices, depending on the price difference and what I can get out of them I could then decide.

Also, I dont think I would need a Blu Ray player anytime soon. Most of my stuff would be online downloaded for a couple of years at least as the discs are priced at a high cost (demand is low).
m
l
October 21, 2011 12:31:15 PM

Where do you live anyway? AMD will always come out cheaper.
m
l
October 21, 2011 12:31:17 PM

thats what i wanted to know. do you have an online store you shop from with prices that are easy for you to figure out?
m
l
October 21, 2011 3:44:02 PM

AdrianPerry said:

Asrock is the sister company of ASUS. +1 - Both very good quality manufacturers. I personally have a P8Z68-v PRO and a friend of mine just built with the ASRock Extreme4. Build quality of both boards was equally impressive. Both packed with the same features, very nice to build on and the Extreme4 especially had really nice spacing between components (CPU and RAM slots specifically).

I was leaning towards this, I initially felt this would be ideal although over kill for today, lasting 10 years - totally different issue...until I heard AMD. :) 

I have a couple of questions with the following config.

Processor: i5 - 2500K
Motherboard: P8Z68-V PRO
RAM: 4 GB - 1600MHz
Hard Drive: 1GB, 7200 rpm, 6 GB/s

1. Should I add another 4 GB RAM?
2. Would I require to a Graphics Card today? I felt that wont be required today with my needs.
3. Considering I add a decent graphics card in time, I'm not sure of what wattage PSU would I require for this.
m
l
October 23, 2011 8:00:41 PM

Best answer selected by ShaQBlogs2011.
m
l
!