Feb 19, 2010
AMD Dual 2000+
2gb kingston ddr2
m2n68 am asus board
generic psu
sparkle n210 1gb

had the pc for 6 years, so far changed the card and the mobo - 2 years ago

now its my downloading/sisters rig

came back from work and sister complaining computer wont turn on, theres a green light on mobo turned on though

disconnected everything, gave it a clean, put it all back same issue

any suggestions?

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
probably a bad power supply. if you have a local computer shop, you can take it there, see if thats the official problem, or, if you have a pc power tester at the house (most people dont) try to make sure it is giving proper power if at all.

If buying generic, you will have issues like this, so i recommend an Antec Earthwatt if/when you replace this psu. Its enough power for a very good price, and will be reliable. Another option is a Seasonic, some of their lower models are reasonably prices. Keep in mind, even though your system doesn't NEED a high power supply, since you have to replace it anyways, dont get anything under 500W. It will save you from limiting yourself in the future if you need to upgrade/replace other pieces of hardware.

jeremychiam

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
update

sister has informed me that she could turn it on yesterday, worked fine for a bit then it did a complete shut off, and wont power back on. I asked did she hear and weird noises or smells during that time she said no.

Still definately psu? or could be mobo?

jeremychiam

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
lol i no the psu is old, but hey i worked its ass off and im proud that its still working.

dont forget this is my downloading rig and or pc for my sister so i wanna get it going (all her vids + crap is on there)

seventeam st505 PCG ROHS 500 w PSU for 30 bux good deal? i heard seventeam was pretty good, cant find a review on that model tho